34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby graveleye » Jul 29, 2011 10:18 am

shhhh you guys quit talking up the quiet area!! :shhh:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby agosnell » Jul 29, 2011 6:42 pm

Ya, we only use the quite area.
Feel free to come and stand anywhere in the quite area when the drums are playing and tell me then that it is still quite. Its not.
pEAcE
agosnell
Prolific Poster

Name: Alvin Gosnell
NSS #: 48081
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In Pre-registration

Postby kvart » Aug 6, 2011 7:16 pm

Pre-registration ends August 31, 2011

Got lots of info coming soon on activities, etc.....keep your eyes open!
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Aug 11, 2011 10:20 am

Once again we will have the Photo Salon at the Cave In. :kewl: See details below, let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Kelly
^V^

Photo Salon for 2011 TAG Fall Cave In

Photos will be accepted in two categories:

1) Caves – includes entrance/exterior scenes, formations, big room shots, macro shots, etc…
2) Cave Life & Cavers – includes shots of cavers and cave life (crickets, salamanders, bats,
etc…)

*You can drop your photos off in the Dogwood City Grotto booth (found on vendor’s row) starting on Thursday at Noon to Saturday at 9am. Entries received after 9am on Saturday will not be judged but may be shown. It will be self serve on site and you will need to fill out and attach a label to the back of each of your photos that includes your name, title of your photo and the cave name. There will be a separate label with your number & category to attach to the front of your photo for judging.

*Photos may be matted or unmatted. You may also mount your photos on foam board. Due to space limitations max print size allowed for entry is 16x20. Each photographer may enter up to 3 photos per category.

*Please note your photos will be on display in a tent. The Dogwood City Grotto is not responsible to any damage that occurs to your photo(s) while on display; therefore we suggest you not submit an original or expensive prints.

Judging:
Judging will occur on Saturday, October 8th at 10am. Prints will be judged by a panel of judges, who are all cavers. A first place award will be given in each category and winners will be announced Saturday night prior to door prizes. Each first place winner will win a ribbon and prize. 2nd and 3rd place will receive a ribbon. Please remember to pick up all your prints before you leave Sunday.

Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Aug 11, 2011 10:33 am

agosnell wrote:Well I will say that the bongo drums after 12 is a deal breaker for my Dad and I. We can sleep through the band and party people.

Big sigh.... It's hard to please 1,200 people. Good luck Glenn..!!

For those who don't understand when you get in a drum circle it's more of a trance. They are not trying to annoy you or prevent you from sleeping. The music is entirely improvised through a process of group interaction. There is no leader or moderator and the participants make up the music as they go along. I understand this isn't for everyone but perhaps to understand it a little better will allow for some tolerance for one night. Also, ear plugs work really well and are relatively cheap.

Kelly
^V^
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 11, 2011 10:48 am

Is there a *minimum* size? I don't want to get in trouble for size issues again, I learned my lesson! lol
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Aug 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Sungura wrote:Is there a *minimum* size? I don't want to get in trouble for size issues again, I learned my lesson! lol

5" x 7" really would be too small. I would recommend 8" x 10" or 11" x 14". 16" x 20" is acceptable too.

Kelly
^V^
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavergirl » Aug 12, 2011 11:50 am

rowland7840 wrote:Once again we will have the Photo Salon at the Cave In. :kewl: See details below, let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Kelly
^V^

The Cave in website also mentions an Art Salon.
Bring your Photos! Bring your Maps! Bring your Artwork!
This year we are bringing back the map and art salons to join in with the photo salon!

any details on that?
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Aug 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Another grotto member is putting together the Map/Art Salon. Details should be out soon.

Kelly
^V^
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

SpeleoArt Workshop

Postby kvart » Aug 16, 2011 1:05 pm

cavergirl wrote:
The Cave in website also mentions an Art Salon.
Bring your Photos! Bring your Maps! Bring your Artwork!
This year we are bringing back the map and art salons to join in with the photo salon!

any details on that?

An art salon is different than a map or photo salon where the entries are just copies of the original and if they get damaged, destroyed, or stolen, just hit print to replace them. Art is different, if it is damaged, destroyed, or stolen, it cannot be replaced. Since the DCG Booth is just a canopy, out in the open and in an unsecured area, we are not having an art salon..........but, we are having:

Carolina Shrewsbury invites you to go on a Carolina caving trip!

She will be bringing a canvas and lots of paint and brushes with other materials.

“I need a mural painted for the MayaCon 2012 NSS Convention in West Virginia. On this canvas I want your cave made by you! I’ll show you how. Also, I will take you off to sketch and paint with watercolors…the caving way, just so you will be ready for your next caving trip be it in your home, at work or in an actual cave!”
~ Carolina Shrewsbury

ART DAY WITH CAROLINA at the Pavillion- $15 ART SUPPLIES PROVIDED.

9am- Introduction and meditation
9:30- Orientation of materials and mediums
BREAK
11:00- “ Exploring” the Canvas
BREAK FOR LUNCH
1pm- “Mapping” the Canvas
2pm- Orientation to plein aire sketching and painting
2:30- composition and word- how to mix pictures with poetry
BREAK
4pm- regroup and review.
4:30- Closing meditation.
kvart

Two week warning

Postby kvart » Aug 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Cave-in activities……

Don’t want to bore y’all, just wanted to mention a few of the activities we have planned for you at this year’s cave-in………

We have.....caving, Friday nite fire, caving, kaver karaoke, caving, kids karaoke, caving, geo-caching, caving, 5K run, caving, amazing kids race, caving, tye dye parade, caving, map salon, caving, kong climbing contest, caving, kick ass band, caving, photo salon, caving, walker county rescue breakfast, caving, BFBF in the South!, caving, speleoart workshop, caving, drum circle, caving, dodgeball, caving, camp decoration contest, caving, squeezebox, caving, door prizes, caving, vertical contests, caving, wns decon, caving, did I mention we have caving………..bout the only thing we aint got is YOU!

Check out the cave-in web site for details of all the above and to find registration forms.

http://tagfallcavein.org/

Pre-registration ends in two weeks on August 31!
kvart

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 17, 2011 6:57 pm

BFBF? and ooh yay squeezebox, i need to find that this year I'm curious! :D I'm probably not that impressive, I'm guessing 8.5 inches is what I can do is all. Damn hipbones refuse to squeeze!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Aug 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Are there any new caves on the caving list this year Glenn?
Last edited by tncaver on Aug 18, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Aug 18, 2011 8:45 am

Sungura wrote:BFBF? and ooh yay squeezebox, i need to find that this year I'm curious! :D I'm probably not that impressive, I'm guessing 8.5 inches is what I can do is all. Damn hipbones refuse to squeeze!

With women the hip bone is usually the limiting factor. With men it is usually the chest. It is fun to try it to see what you can do.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby kvart » Aug 18, 2011 10:22 am

mgmills wrote:
Sungura wrote:BFBF? and ooh yay squeezebox, i need to find that this year I'm curious! :D I'm probably not that impressive, I'm guessing 8.5 inches is what I can do is all. Damn hipbones refuse to squeeze!

With women the hip bone is usually the limiting factor. With men it is usually the chest. It is fun to try it to see what you can do.

best i have been able to do is 11.5"..... :rofl:

the squeezebox will be set up at the DCG Booth.......not sure if there will be a competition........maybe just compete with your self, how low can you go?
kvart

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events