2011 dates

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

2011 dates

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 13, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm looking for the 2011 dates for my calendar of important cave events...
so far I have basically what is on the NSS page.
There seem to be things missing...I see things in this forum like MAR/VAR and such, but googling doesn't help.

Also, I'm looking for fun fact dates like "the rappel rack was invented on x date in x year" not just the year the date as well. Maybe various knots, like Prusik, or when the Apex first hit the market, or Stenlight, or something. Also, the dates popular caves were discovered (like, Stephen's Gap or something).

Google-fu is failing me horribly!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: 2011 dates

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jan 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Flint Ridge - Mammoth Cave connection - September 9, 1972.
Lechuguilla Cave breakthrough - May 26, 1986.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 13, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks! Stuff like that is EXACTLY what I am looking for! Keep it coming! :kewl:
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 13, 2011 9:22 pm

LOL darn. I thought it was a thread to get a date (i.e. dinner and a movie) in 2011 :big grin:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Jan 13, 2011 10:44 pm

1-23-1983 NSS Office Addition dedication in Huntsville by NSS President Rob Stitt. The video by Tom Rea is interesting to hear Rob discuss the financial woes of the NSS and the need for the addition. Sound familiar?
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/video/video.php?v=179514432071560&oid=152319644811596&comments
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 14, 2011 1:33 am

In October up north, office stuff was like all I heard Tom talk about with someone else (forget his name). I guess they were looking at some place in Alabama or something or other, I don't remember really. And I think they said something like I was overhearing Top Secret Stuff that I can't share. Or something. I dunno. I was so bored at the campfire that night. And cold. Very cold. And I found it funny that when I was at TAG I passed Tom and said hi and he didn't know who I was even though I've been going up north to our cave here since July, and Tom's been there every time, lol. You'd think being the ONLY girl up there would stand out. Well unless erm...I can't remember their names, but there are a few other gals who come out sometimes but they don't stay at the camp area ever, I'll just see them Saturday after I come out of the cave. Oh wait, no I remember, Ginger and Martina. Anyway, I didn't realize that like *everyone* knows Tom Rae though until about a month ago. I always thought he was just a boring old dude who drove all the way up from Indiana every weekend up there (crazy! that's a drive!) lol.

Wyandotte - I'd rather a cave trip date. Dinner and a movie is so blan and old school :P

...crap I'm derailing my own thread now.

BACK ON TOPIC
I did fine the VAR and MORV (or whatever the accronyms are) spring dates, aren't there fall dates too though? I didn't find those.
And any of you folk who make cave gear and want that included, that's cool too! I contacted Princeten Tec for the Apex release date, Stenlight, PMI, and Swaygo. I'm sure I'm missing people.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 14, 2011 8:17 am

Swaygo Gear was started by Scott McCrea and Kevin Quick in Sept 2001. Although, we didn't sell the first pack until Sept 2003.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 14, 2011 10:34 am

Yea,

unfortunately Amy has accurately described the main problem with the NSS. Many of the people running it have forgotten WHY they are running it and FOR WHO. Thus the business of the Society has become boring and irrelevant to the CAVERS.

Anyway,
August 13 1878 Luray Caverns Discovered
I was going to give Bill Cuddington's birthday :)
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 14, 2011 10:56 am

Scott McCrea wrote:Swaygo Gear was started by Scott McCrea and Kevin Quick in Sept 2001. Although, we didn't sell the first pack until Sept 2003.

Ah see I grabbed the date listed on your site of "sept 1, 2001" for the date it was created. If there's a different date you'd rather me use lmk!
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby sjphill » Jan 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Theres an all day Tennessee Cave and Karst Formation series of seminars at Fall Creek Falls State Park in Fall Creek Falls Tennessee (bout an hour soupth of Cookeville) next Saturday. It should be pretty cool and its FREE!
Steve Phillips
Upper Cumberland Grotto
Cookeville Tn
sjphill
Infrequent Poster

Name: Steve
NSS #: 62631
Primary Grotto Affiliation: upper cumberland grotto

Postby PYoungbaer » Jan 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Here's just one:
Spring NRO (Northeast Regional Organization) May 13-16;
Fall NRO Sept.9-11
Locations/details to follow on the NRO website.

Linked through NSS home page: Click on NSS Organization on the left hand list; then scroll down and click on Regions.

Most, if not all, regions have their website links posted here, with events, dates, etc.

The NSS News has a calendar on the inside front page, but they only print what they are sent.

Sungura, the Central Connecticut Grotto did a Northeastern Cave Calendar in 2010 with all sorts of key dates in caving history noted throughout the year. I don't know if they sold out, but try contacting the Grotto for a back copy. The dates have a northeast bias, but some are more general. Interesting nonetheless - a really good photos.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Clicked on regions. Like, 3 regional sites had dates more current than 2009. :roll: Oh well their problem, it won't get printed on the calendar then!
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Jan 17, 2011 9:43 pm

Sungura - I don't think you looked very hard. For example, just this one has tons of what it sounds like you're looking for:

http://www.caves.org/region/mar/calendar.htm

In MAR's case, it's listed under "calendar." Others use "events" or "meetings."
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Indeed that is where I looked. For the record, I've spent a good THREE hours today googling, searching, browsing NSS and regional sites. I AM putting a LOT of time into this calendar to make it the coolest possible. This is kinda a one-person op here, a friend who is also in it found 2 dates for me. THe other hasn't helped further at all. I've spent a lot of hours putting stuff together.

Thank you for the link. I extended the OTR, as I was told it was just Labor Day weekend I was not aware it was the 1st and 2nd as well. Yes it did have a lot of what I was looking for (most I have found already from other sites and googling, it was basically just the exact OTR dates that was new).

Some Spring dates, and clearly almost all fall dates, are not set yet, so they just will have to be penciled in later.

The only date in particular I am hoping to get in the next day or two is from PMI. Yes. I've also spent time emailing companies for dates on popular products being released/first sold.

Also I am looking at UK events as well as I know I have folk over there interested - finding their holidays (which they have different holidays than the US) as well as their big meets. Definitely a LOT of time is being spent in this.

Sorry if this seems ranty, just the whole "I don't think you looked very long" is so far from the truth it is honestly insulting.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Jan 18, 2011 9:53 am

My bad. Didn't mean to insult at all, just trying to help. When I looked at the time lag between my post suggesting the link and your response - which was very short - and then I went and in a matter of minutes found lots more info than you said you did, I simply thought you had overlooked some things.

Anyway, it's an excellent effort. And yes, it's not unusual for specifics about many of the events to be still undetermined. For example, I just looked at the Indiana Cave Capers site for the spring. The website is up, dates and location are set, but registration forms aren't posted yet. This usually means that event planners haven't finalized details with food vendors, caterers, entertainment, etc.

For the Spring NRO, we know the host grotto, but they haven't announced a site yet, so no detail on registration, etc. is out. At the Spring NRO, we determine the Fall host, so there is always a lag. The key point though is we know the date for planning purposes.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Caver Events