2011 Convention

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby Grandpa Caver » Jul 25, 2011 4:34 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:Barbara,

Bonny and I were camped at MadRats and now have your spatula. We will bring it to the WV convention for you since Bill was not up to the task. :big grin:

P.S. Instead of just a political cohort, I like to think of myself as the Karl Rove of the Hodag Party. :shrug:


From what I've read thus far; I'm betting it gets hijacked again before finding it's way home!
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
User avatar
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 5:37 pm
Location: Indiana
Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby NZcaver » Jul 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:Bonny and I were camped at MadRats and now have your spatula. We will bring it to the WV convention for you since Bill was not up to the task. :big grin:

Please feel free to take photos of the spatula in random places around the country over the next 12 months. "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Spatula." :clap: :laughing:

P.S. Instead of just a political cohort, I like to think of myself as the Karl Rove of the Hodag Party. :shrug:

:yikes: :lmao:
User avatar
NZcaver
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6350
Joined: Sep 7, 2005 2:05 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby DeanWiseman » Jul 26, 2011 12:27 am

NZcaver wrote:Please feel free to take photos of the spatula in random places around the country over the next 12 months. "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Spatula."


Someone could put a "Travel Bug" tag (from the Geocaching.com Website) on it... and record its travels!


-Dean
Image
User avatar
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Jan 23, 2007 4:39 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby caverdan » Jul 26, 2011 7:50 am

I'm glad everyone had a good time. I'd like to thank all those who helped us make this convention what it was. I came back with a load last night and I'm headed back up for the last of it today. The tent people are still working on taking that big tent down. What a long strange trip it has been. I was hoping to meet Bill Putman and George Dasher, but there were too many people to say hi to everyone. I did finally meet Cheryl, Even G, NZ, and host of others that frequent here. Hope to see some of you at the next convention.......it should be a good one. :kewl:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Nov 24, 2006 9:39 pm
Location: Colorado Springs
NSS #: 40262
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby NZcaver » Jul 26, 2011 1:02 pm

Hey Dan - thanks for all the work you and the team did on the campground. Great job! :clap:

Enjoyed catching up with you in person. Next time we might even get to do some caving. :shhh: :waving:
User avatar
NZcaver
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6350
Joined: Sep 7, 2005 2:05 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby Jep » Jul 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Well I wanted to stop by and say hi to Dan and thank him for a great job. I did get to meet NZ Caver afterwards when we were tearing down on Saturday.

Jeff Bray and I want to invite you all to West Virginia for the 2012 covention. We can't beat Colorado, but we sure can give you a memorable experience.

John Pearson, MayaCon2012 co-chair (I was told chairman was politically incorrect).

PS: We should have the promo film posted shortly. I'll keep everyone posted.
Jep
Prolific Poster
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sep 6, 2005 8:26 am
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby DeanWiseman » Jul 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Jep wrote:We can't beat Colorado, but we sure can give you a memorable experience.



No need to try to "beat" Colorado in anything... because you guys are going to be awesome, and that's what it's all about.


-Dean
Image
User avatar
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Jan 23, 2007 4:39 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby caverdan » Jul 27, 2011 12:34 pm

Jep wrote:Well I wanted to stop by and say hi to Dan and thank him for a great job. I did get to meet NZ Caver afterwards when we were tearing down on Saturday.


Thanks for putting up with us Madrats!!! Camping together made for some great fun. I have my Mayacon staff shirt so there's a good chance I'll be out to help fill in a few holes. Can I bring my golf cart?? :big grin:

PS: We should have the promo film posted shortly. I'll keep everyone posted.


Can you send me a DVD for our grotto. I'm still co-chair for a few more meetings and would love to show it as a program. :kewl:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Nov 24, 2006 9:39 pm
Location: Colorado Springs
NSS #: 40262
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby self-deleted_user » Jul 27, 2011 1:49 pm

I just got my photos back, awww no ribbons. LOL i wasn't expecting anything firs time anyway. Wish I could've been there to see things put up so I had better idea for next year. Although apparently, mine weren't even judged due to being too small. I knew the one was pushing it (it was odd size, printed it as large as I could on 8.5 x 11 sheet paper) because larger than that sheet size is large format printing around here, and I don't have $20-$30/each to spend on printing 0.o but I measured the others and they are actually printed at 8.5 x 10.5 so....not sure why those were "too small". You were right Jansen, make them bigger than 8x10, I didn't realize that "no smaller than 8x10" meant "it must be larger than or we won't look at them" xD (which 4 of mine were, but I guess .5 inches larger isn't larger enough :P) although apparently they were still put up at least. Ah well, I have some of my personal fav photos printed to hang in my apartment now if anything.

I keep looking for photos from the convention and not finding any...are peeps just not posting? I'd love to see what the grounds and such look like, the above ground stuffs that go on, ya know? maybe I'm just being blind though.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Aug 6, 2010 8:33 pm
Location: Offline, in real life, with real cavers.
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Amy, join Facebook. Several cavers have posted there including Carolina posting a video of the Photo Salon exhibits.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
User avatar
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2375
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Wilmington, DE and Dewey Beach
NSS #: 13627FE
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby NZcaver » Jul 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Sungura wrote:I just got my photos back, awww no ribbons. LOL i wasn't expecting anything firs time anyway. Wish I could've been there to see things put up so I had better idea for next year. Although apparently, mine weren't even judged due to being too small. I knew the one was pushing it (it was odd size, printed it as large as I could on 8.5 x 11 sheet paper) because larger than that sheet size is large format printing around here, and I don't have $20-$30/each to spend on printing 0.o but I measured the others and they are actually printed at 8.5 x 10.5 so....not sure why those were "too small". You were right Jansen, make them bigger than 8x10, I didn't realize that "no smaller than 8x10" meant "it must be larger than or we won't look at them" xD (which 4 of mine were, but I guess .5 inches larger isn't larger enough :P) although apparently they were still put up at least. Ah well, I have some of my personal fav photos printed to hang in my apartment now if anything.

I keep looking for photos from the convention and not finding any...are peeps just not posting? I'd love to see what the grounds and such look like, the above ground stuffs that go on, ya know? maybe I'm just being blind though.

Amy,

We (the judges) did discuss minimum size requirements, but most - I think all - of your prints were accepted for show and judged. Each print should really be 8x10 minimum not including the mat, according to the current rules. But that can change each year, and the salon chair and judges are often somewhat flexible with the rules. If you'd like additional feedback on your images, I'd be happy to email/chat privately with you some time.

I've seen a bunch of convention photos being posted by people on Facebook. I'll upload mine eventually, but right now I'm a little busy packing up and moving house.
User avatar
NZcaver
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6350
Joined: Sep 7, 2005 2:05 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby self-deleted_user » Jul 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Oh ok! that's not what I heard. Ah the telephone effect ;) Thanks! Yeah I knew my one might be dq'd but the others I measured to be fine! Well like I said, I figured I'd not get anywhere anyway, but would end up with prints to hang up on mah wall =)

Phil - I am on fb (although G+ rocks...just sayin' ;) if anyone wants an invite let me know) I've just not seen photos up yet. I probably just have the wrong friends...other than some of you here (which I'm not friended to on fb, actually) I don't know many who went who I do have friended come to think of it. I should go find some of you, you are right that'd help!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Aug 6, 2010 8:33 pm
Location: Offline, in real life, with real cavers.
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby caverdan » Jul 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Nov 24, 2006 9:39 pm
Location: Colorado Springs
NSS #: 40262
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby Extremeophile » Jul 27, 2011 4:49 pm

I also didn't receive a ribbon for any of the 8 prints I submitted, but being there to see the competition and participate in the critique session was extremely helpful. NZ, Pat, Alan, Bonny (judges I spoke to), as well as other photographers provided invaluable feedback. Looking at what other people are doing and hearing how small modifications to your own photos can improve them is motivating and inspiring. It's tough to compete against the Bosteds, Ingham, Coomer, etc, some of whom are professionals. There was talk about adding a novice category next year, but now we'll no longer qualify.
User avatar
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Dec 7, 2009 7:37 pm
Location: Littleton, CO
Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto
  

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby Extremeophile » Jul 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Kenneth Ingham's photo:

http://photos.i-pi.com/lavabeds2011/h25b54623#h25b54623

was "best in show" for the print salon.
User avatar
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Dec 7, 2009 7:37 pm
Location: Littleton, CO
Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto
  

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users