2011 Convention

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby caverdan » Jan 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Sungura wrote:Does anyone know if there will be mine trips as well? Some folk on the UK forum are asking about that.

There are no mine tours close to Glenwood, but there are several between Denver and Glenwood. There is also a post convention camp close to Cripple Creek on Mike Fraziers land. There is a very good mine tour there at the Molly Kathleen Mine which is over a mile deep.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Family Trip to Grand Canyon before Convention

Postby David_Weaver » Feb 20, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi,

My family will be visiting the Grand Canyon on our way to Convention in July. We plan to stay at the North Rim Campground July 14-16, driving to Glenwood Springs on Sunday the 17th. If any other family is interested in coordinating a visit to the North Rim, please let me know. It would be nice for the kids to make some friends and have company before getting to convention.

David
David_Weaver
Occasional Poster

Name: David Weaver
NSS #: 53731
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby mgmills » Mar 6, 2011 7:31 pm

I was recently checking out their website http://nss2011.org/
Says 207 are registered but I see registration numbers up to 241. Pre-reg discount is good until June 15.
Checked out the google maps and google earth maps of the area. I was interested in the camping. Those planning to camp need to check out the details. We usually use our car to store gear while camping and the site says the camping area is drive in to drop off and pick up gear only. That is gonna require some thought for us.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby cavergirl » Mar 8, 2011 12:45 pm

mgmills wrote:I was recently checking out their website http://nss2011.org/
Those planning to camp need to check out the details. We usually use our car to store gear while camping and the site says the camping area is drive in to drop off and pick up gear only. That is gonna require some thought for us.

Oh,oh, even worse for us, we sleep in the truck and set up a tent for gear storage (cause we have to take the gear out to unfold the bed.) if this is true it is going to be a big hassle.
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby mgmills » Mar 8, 2011 1:53 pm

cavergirl wrote:
mgmills wrote:I was recently checking out their website http://nss2011.org/
Those planning to camp need to check out the details. We usually use our car to store gear while camping and the site says the camping area is drive in to drop off and pick up gear only. That is gonna require some thought for us.

Oh,oh, even worse for us, we sleep in the truck and set up a tent for gear storage (cause we have to take the gear out to unfold the bed.) if this is true it is going to be a big hassle.

The website did say they would have some limited "pick-up" type camping spots. I assume by pick-up they mean pick-up truck . . . although us southerners just call 'em trucks. Hopefully soon the website for convention will put up a "message board" as some past conventions have done so we can clarify our questions with those who are hosting the event. We are seriously looking at booking a site at a nearby campground.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby cavergirl » Mar 8, 2011 2:59 pm

[quote="mgmills] We are seriously looking at booking a site at a nearby campground. [/quote]

This is beginning to look similar to what happened at Bellingham- the "campground" was inside a fence at the school. a few people with pickups, pop-ups were allowed to camp in the parking lot on the asphalt, but no real space for a gear tent or a screen house to hang out in. we ended up at the nearest state park which was nice, but meant having to commute back and forth, on a long winding road, which curtailed late nite partying. Too bad the planning folks don't consider these things in advance
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Mar 8, 2011 7:28 pm

cavergirl wrote:[

I'm not sure that the organizers have much choice in the camping rules in most cases. It is very hard to find a suitable site to host an NSS Convention. So many things are needed. At least camping at this convention is near the school. At several conventions I've attended it was a long drive to get to the place where the sessions were being held.

To the convention organizers: Thank you for all your hard work. :clap: I'm not complaining . . . it's just the arrangements for camping this year aren't going to work for me. I'm glad the info was on the website so I could make appropriate plans. I made reservations at a nearby campground already. Google tells me it is an 11 minute drive to the school from the campground we have booked. We will see when we get there.

I'm really excited about Colorado. Already making plans for sightseeing on the way to and from convention. :woohoo: :woohoo: I've been to Colorado several times and love the area.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby caverdan » Mar 8, 2011 9:00 pm

I'll make it work for you, Martha......no need to waste your money camping elsewhere.

Dave and I just returned from Glenwood and a meeting with the city officials on our campground. There is an area for about 50 or so folks to "truck camp" with room for a gear tent close by. The area is all gravel, next to the dog park, and on a shelf right above the main campground. It is not the type of area we want a lot of traffic in and out of, but everything is in walking distance and the valley offers a free bus service. There are also areas in the quiet camping up next to the school that will provide a few places to bck up to the grass and camp. I'm guessing there are about 20 parking spots in this area which is adjacent to a soccer field. Parking for everyone is going to be somewhat of a juggling act. The city officials are being very helpful with suggestions to many of these problems, but due to the geology of the area.......there is only so much room available.

For those with full blown RV's that are self contained and want to run generators, we have permission to park them at the Glenwood Rec Center which is about 2 miles away. We will allow people to drive down onto the field to drop off and pick up their camping gear, but come and go traffic will not be allowed. If you plan to park for the week and not move your vehicle, we MIGHT be able to let you park your rig down near staff camping....which is also by the hot tub and common areas.

This is going to be more than a convention.......your in store for an incredable vacation in one of thee most beautiful locations in Colorado.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Mar 8, 2011 9:57 pm

caverdan wrote:I'll make it work for you, Martha......no need to waste your money camping elsewhere.

Dave and I just returned from Glenwood and a meeting with the city officials on our campground. There is an area for about 50 or so folks to "truck camp" with room for a gear tent close by. The area is all gravel, next to the dog park, and on a shelf right above the main campground. It is not the type of area we want a lot of traffic in and out of, but everything is in walking distance and the valley offers a free bus service. There are also areas in the quiet camping up next to the school that will provide a few places to bck up to the grass and camp. I'm guessing there are about 20 parking spots in this area which is adjacent to a soccer field. Parking for everyone is going to be somewhat of a juggling act. The city officials are being very helpful with suggestions to many of these problems, but due to the geology of the area.......there is only so much room available.

For those with full blown RV's that are self contained and want to run generators, we have permission to park them at the Glenwood Rec Center which is about 2 miles away. We will allow people to drive down onto the field to drop off and pick up their camping gear, but come and go traffic will not be allowed. If you plan to park for the week and not move your vehicle, we MIGHT be able to let you park your rig down near staff camping....which is also by the hot tub and common areas.

This is going to be more than a convention.......your in store for an incredable vacation in one of thee most beautiful locations in Colorado.

Thanks for the additional info Dan. That helps better understand the situation.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby caverdan » Mar 9, 2011 12:15 am

Martha....I'll pass along the request to add a discussion board to the site. Our next planning meeting is just around the corner.

Cavergirl.....Do you plan or driving your truck around during the day? We will have loaner bikes to borrow, good discounts at a rental shop for those wanting to ride a quality mountain bike, and a free bus service that runs all over the valley. basically everything is within walking distance..... as the High School is pretty much right in the middle of town. Restaurants, Safeway, liquor stores, Ice cream, hot springs pool all fall within a few blocks. Transportation is provided to the Howdy Party and banquet for those that don't want to walk that mile. The Howdy party will only be accessable by bus or tram......it's on the top of a mountain with a cave, 4-D movie theater, alpine roller coaster, the biggest swing you ever saw......and a spectacular view of your tent and the valley below. :kewl:

Anyone with questions....I'll try and answer or get a reply from "The Man" :cave softly:
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavergirl » Mar 9, 2011 2:50 pm

caverdan wrote:Cavergirl.....Do you plan or driving your truck around during the day?

Somewhat. we haven't done a lot of planning yet, but usually at convention there are days we want to or have to be on site for sessions, and other "off" days when we go out exploring. we are not into city stuff, we want to go day hikling, see the scenery. I know Marroon Bells, Hanging Lake, Mt Sopris are some of the places we are thinking about. certainly farther affield than just running about in Glenwood Springs.
I will guess, without seeing a sessions schedule, that 2 or 3 days that week we will want to leave for the day in the truck. I doubt there would be any days that we were in and out a lot in one day.

and Thanks, Dan, for the clarification on the camping situation. I am hoping we can get there early enough to grab one of those quiet area sites on the edge of the grass.
chrys
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Mar 9, 2011 7:00 pm

PM me your last name and such and I'll try and get you a good spot.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby spelunca » Mar 9, 2011 8:04 pm

Will people with disabled family members be able to drive to the howdy party? Busses and trams are not usually wheelchair accessible. Also, does loaner gear include vertical gear using different climbing systems? I am just wondering what all is going to be available.
spelunca

Postby caverdan » Mar 10, 2011 10:28 am

spelunca wrote:Will people with disabled family members be able to drive to the howdy party? Busses and trams are not usually wheelchair accessible. Also, does loaner gear include vertical gear using different climbing systems? I am just wondering what all is going to be available.

I sent out for an offical reply. This is off the Glenwood Caverns web site.

The Iron Mountain Tramway and Adventure Park, including the Adventure Park Gift Shop and the Lookout Grille, are wheel chair accessible. Because of the stairs and walkways that allow for safe foot travel through the cave's natural terrain, we're unable to allow wheel chairs or strollers into the caverns. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but are bound by Mother Nature's creation and the safety of our valued guests.

The historic section path is very narrow so I know a wheel chair won't fit in there, but the lower part of the cave (the pretty part) has a large tunnel entrance that you could push a wheel chair through to the top of the stair case, in the big room. I bet they can at least visit that part of the cave. We have the place to ourselves, so if you know a way to get them up and down the stairs......the place will be full of cavers so I'm sure someone will be willing to help out.

It is possible for you to drive your family members to the Howdy party and drop them off if need be. They do have handicap school buses available from the school district where we are getting our busses from. All those arrangements are being made by Bill Tozer and Bob Stuckland so I can't say for sure that they have them set aside yet or not. I do know that handicap attendees have been discussed in our meetings and are a top priority when it comes to access and such. Super secret permission will be granted if necessary to accomidate your family needs for all the activities.....this includes driving around in the campground.

I have my doubts that vertical loaner gear will be available as I don't think any of the caves that will be open need vertical gear to explore them. Our nick name is Crawlorado. I say bring your climbing gear as there is world class rock climbing in the area and we have a gym set aside for all the vertical stuff that goes on at convention.

I'll get back to you with a more offical response when I get better answers.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby answerguru » Mar 13, 2011 3:05 pm

So we've added a small forum section to the Convention website here:

http://nss2011.com/forums/

Feel free to ask any questions there and we will try to get them answered as quickly and accurately as possible.

Also, if you are on Facebook please follow the latest convention news here:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pag ... 4926158922

(and CaverDan, thanks for holding down the reigns here and forwarding along questions!).

Cheers,
Jonny
NSS 2011 IT Chair
Jonny
SoCoMoGro
Woodland Park, CO
answerguru
Infrequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events