2011 Convention

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Colorado Gators

Postby Squirrel Girl » Mar 13, 2011 7:16 pm

I want to encourage folks to stop by Colorado Gator Reptile Park in Mosca, CO.

One of the sons of the Park is a cave diving buddy of mine. I'm thinking this could be my chance to take their alligator wrestling course.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Mar 14, 2011 2:44 pm

Well, if you're going to go there you should stop by here as well: http://www.sanddunespool.com/

Just up the road from the gators, great views, great green chile tater tots, and the cheapest hottest shower around!

Oh, and since we are covering all local attractions, Great Sand Dunes NP is pretty nice too!
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby caverdan » Mar 21, 2011 10:50 am

A little update from our meeting yesterday. We will have loaner gear available such as coveralls and helmets, but not loaner vertical gear like harnesses and climbing systems. There are a few high Alpine vertical cave trips on the menu but the ropes will be provided by the trip leaders. There is also talk about a dig or two that will be happening on Glenwood caverns property during convention. One is at the bottom of a pit. There will also be recreation trips all week up at Glenwood caverns and some other private and BLM property in the area. It's not set in stone yet, but we are getting really close to having permits to visit some of the more popular USFS caves us local cavers enjoy. A Decon station will be available of coarse, but decon is for caves, not contests or other outdoor activities like rock climbing.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby speleo » Mar 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Is there any chance that the 160 foot pit in Eagle County ( Sinking River ?) will be one of the caves with a guided trip? I am wondering what caves are being considered for permits.

:cavingrocks:
speleo
Frequent Poster

Postby caverdan » Mar 26, 2011 11:14 pm

speleo wrote:Is there any chance that the 160 foot pit in Eagle County ( Sinking River ?) will be one of the caves with a guided trip? I am wondering what caves are being considered for permits.

:cavingrocks:

I believe it is on the list along with Alpine Twister, Herbies Deli, and Powerline.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Mar 27, 2011 11:16 am

Will there be Convention field trips to the nearby wineries and the Maroon Bells? Or the Colorado National Moument?
Or do other various day hikes? Or to climb a mountain? Both the 1990 and 1996 Conventions had trips to climb fourteeners.

Just wondering if we can hold off renting a car until the end of Convention (when we hit the road to play CO tourist!).

:bat2:
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby caverdan » Mar 27, 2011 2:31 pm

George Dasher wrote:Will there be Convention field trips to the nearby wineries and the Maroon Bells? Or the Colorado National Moument?
Or do other various day hikes? Or to climb a mountain? Both the 1990 and 1996 Conventions had trips to climb fourteeners.

Just wondering if we can hold off renting a car until the end of Convention (when we hit the road to play CO tourist!).

:bat2:

I'll post your questions to the convention discussion board and try to get you some answers. The Geology trip that Harvey has put together includes a winery visit. :kewl:

Edit to say; I see you have already posted it to the list. If you don't get an answer back soon.....I'll post it to our Google group. There is a free bus service up to Aspen and I know you can only get so close to Marroon Bells before you have to get on a tourist bus to get to the lake and base of it. I'm guessing there is an interconnect bus of some sorts from the town of Aspen. Colorado National Monument is about 1 1/2 hrs away so I haven't heard of any field trips there. I think most of the field trips being planned will be to caves. Hope this helps.
Dan
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavedoc55 » Jun 30, 2011 8:17 pm

Anyone interested in a horse back ride?
Sunday the 17th. 4 hours with views of the Maroon Bells, lunch provided. Cost $175.00. About an hour from Glenwood Springs.
Interested? Contact me off-forum at s.mosberg55@gmail.com
Steve Mosberg
cavedoc55
Frequent Poster

Postby Colorado Carl » Jun 30, 2011 11:10 pm

speleo wrote:Is there any chance that the 160 foot pit in Eagle County ( Sinking River ?) will be one of the caves with a guided trip? I am wondering what caves are being considered for permits.

That is an excellent guess for a cave to be open during the Convention. We are having to be a bit careful about naming specific caves that will be accessible during the Convention on public forums like the Internet. That is due, in part, to the WNS situation and the year-long process of getting these caves re-opened for one brief, shining week in July.

Also, in case it was not clear from Dan's post above,we have received official permission to access certain USFS caves during the Convention. That was posted in the other forum a while back and is on the Convention website.

Carl
Cave Trips Coordinator for the 2011 NSS Convention
Colorado Carl
Infrequent Poster

Postby caverdan » Jul 1, 2011 8:42 am

Aduy Opaya wrote:Any update to all the questions ?

We have answered most questions on the convention discussion board . Here is the link. http://nss2011.com/forums/
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Farrar » Jul 4, 2011 9:27 am

Is there any chance that there is someone, who is arriving at the Denver Airport at around 4:30 PM on Sunday and is getting a rental car to Glenwood Springs, that I could catch a ride with? I'll help with costs.
Farrar
Infrequent Poster

Name: Nathan Farrar
NSS #: 59222
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charlottesville

Postby baa43003 » Jul 5, 2011 6:44 pm

The NSS Membership Committee wants you to start every morning with a free cup of coffee at Convention! The first 100 people to bring their own coffee mug to the campground each morning from 7-9 can fill up on us. Or pay just $1 for a cup of fresh-brewed java. Other beverages and snacks will also be available for purchase. See you there!
Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Postby NZcaver » Jul 5, 2011 7:29 pm

baa43003 wrote:The NSS Membership Committee wants you to start every morning with a free cup of coffee at Convention! The first 100 people to bring their own coffee mug to the campground each morning from 7-9 can fill up on us. Or pay just $1 for a cup of fresh-brewed java. Other beverages and snacks will also be available for purchase. See you there!

I'm sure I would appreciate this, if I drank coffee. Any freebie alternatives for those who prefer other beverages? :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby baa43003 » Jul 5, 2011 10:57 pm

NZcaver wrote:
baa43003 wrote:The NSS Membership Committee wants you to start every morning with a free cup of coffee at Convention! The first 100 people to bring their own coffee mug to the campground each morning from 7-9 can fill up on us. Or pay just $1 for a cup of fresh-brewed java. Other beverages and snacks will also be available for purchase. See you there!

I'm sure I would appreciate this, if I drank coffee. Any freebie alternatives for those who prefer other beverages? :waving:

Juice, bottled water, bagels, and pastries will also be available for a small charge.
Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Postby NZcaver » Jul 5, 2011 11:16 pm

Any hot water available for those who travel with their own tea? :cofee:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events