2011 Convention

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby Cheryl Jones » Aug 4, 2011 11:05 pm

Cheryl displays the official CaveChat banner:

Many thanks to Jeff and Nina of IMO who generously donated a lot of top-quality PMI cord for us to use to hang up the banners! :clap: :kewl:

And thanks to NZCaver to helping me get them hung and then for taking responsibility for them after Convention. :patriotic:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Bob Thrun » Aug 7, 2011 12:30 am

I wanted to check on Nylon Highway, published by the Vertical Section. Using one of the school's computers, I logged onto the NSS website. I got as far as clicking on Sections and was blocked by the system's nanny filter for "Advocacy". I still can't figured out what advocacy was blocked. After I got home it occurred that it might be Stonewall Cavers, but no, that is under Affinity Groups. Any ideas?
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby DeanWiseman » Sep 7, 2011 1:43 pm

Couple photos from Convention:

What a hoot! :rofl: :laughing: Anzie's face is priceless... She wanted to ride that thing a hundred times more.

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 27, 2011 5:34 pm

So...I had this idea..I'm not sure how exactly it's run since I wasn't there myself, and maybe you do this already although I've not heard of it happening, but I had an idea for next year for the photo and art and such salons.

At art galleries and such, when people put their work on display not uncommon to put a price next to it too, and let people purchase it. It might also encourage more entries, as it can be expensive to make prints, or for the materials for the artwork, etc. so if people knew they had a chance of selling it (which let's admit, it's fun to get recognition for our work to the extent someone likes it so much they buy it!) might encourage more folk to try. Of course people wouldn't be allowed to take it home until certain time on the last day so it could remain on display.

More entries = more revenue for the NSS, or additionally maybe there would be a base donation amount from the sale of artwork (some percentage, like maybe 20%min) that has to go to one of x approved cave-related things (NSS, SCCi, etc). Be a win-win for everyone, artists could sell their work and get some kickback for their effort and time and materials, NSS gets more revenue from entry fees, and more money goes to cave conservation efforts.

PS I have ideas for logistics of running it, if anyone is interested. I'm used to similar from national rabbit conventions (not art, but show animals and similar needing to be in the showroom for the week, how to handle sales so people know an animal wasn't stolen) and from 4-H stuff.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavergirl » Sep 28, 2011 11:17 am

Sungura wrote:At art galleries and such, when people put their work on display not uncommon to put a price next to it too, and let people purchase it. It might also encourage more entries, as it can be expensive to make prints, or for the materials for the artwork, etc. so if people knew they had a chance of selling it (which let's admit, it's fun to get recognition for our work to the extent someone likes it so much they buy it!) might encourage more folk to try. Of course people wouldn't be allowed to take it home until certain time on the last day so it could remain on display.

This is already standard for the Fine Arts salon:
"All exhibits are encouraged to be sold at Salon or entered for NSS Auction. The NSS will deduct a 20% commission from all art sold. "
http://www.caves.org/committee/salons/f ... Arts.shtml

I think I have seen prices on the photo prints as well. This info is posted on the print salon website:
"SALES AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: For questions concerning entries or sales of prints, please e-mail Pat Seiser at printsalon@caves.org call 505-292-5793. If you have trouble meeting the deadline, please contact her before June 1st, 2012."
http://www.caves.org/committee/salons/Print.shtml
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby Dave Luckins » Sep 28, 2011 8:26 pm

I bought two outstanding pieces at the auction and they're hanging in my office as I type this message. This year was exceptional in quanity and quality. Thanks to the Artists, Carolina, and her entire crew.
Dave Luckins
Frequent Poster

Name: Dave Luckins
NSS #: 14010
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Michigan Interlakes Grotto

Previous

Return to Caver Events