2010 TAG Fall Cave-in

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2010 TAG Fall Cave-in

Postby Mudduck » Sep 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Living in the flat lands of Mississippi I've yet to attend a caving event either but my caving buddy and myself are preregistered and ready to go. I'm siked that there will be lead trips since I'm not too familiar with caving in that particular area.
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Sep 23, 2010 8:07 am

There will be a DECON station at the cave in. The SKTF is setting it up.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Sep 23, 2010 8:29 am

Glad you are coming Mudduck. Stop by the booth on vendors row that has a Caving Information sign to sign up for the led trips. You can also look in the guidebook for suggessted caves to visit and speak with Andy at the cave info booth to get info on how to get there, etc...
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby wendy » Sep 28, 2010 12:45 am

I may have to get in on some of these led trips instead of doing the caves we did last year again, although I go to them cuz they are my favorites.

Oh and how great we have some folks traveling to come to the cave-in, you guys are going to have a great time, I hope to get to meet you.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 1, 2010 7:30 pm

WOO LESS THAN A WEEK NOW!!
Just in case stuff wouldn't wash/dry in one night or somesuch, I got another caving outfit (for free! yay points on credit card!), same pants different jacket though, of the one I absolutely love. Stuff from the activewear section on LandsEnd.com - even my lime green jacket after three trips that got mud coated each time is still lime green after decon/wash. The fabric washes out so amazingly well, and it's warm, and soft inside, and flexible (unlike any cave suit I've ever tried, dang things are so restricting for movement!)...and they do dry fast and when they get wet somehow it acts wetsuit-ish, I've never been cold in them even in water caves. :) I actually packed all my cave clothes stuffed into that pack I bought! I was impressed with how well I can pack, haha.
Now I just have to find kneepads...was going to go with the howitzer suggestion but their site isn't working...have an email out to them. I know many seem to like the crawldaddies but I don' thave $80 to drop on a pair right now.
Oh, and I have to get the photo I'm gonna enter printed. It's sweeeeeeeeet I bet no one has ever seen this formation before if you haven't caved in Michigan at least. Ok so not exactly a speleothem but I"ll just leave you to guess ;)

tl;dr I'm almost ready! :cavingrocks:
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mudduck » Oct 2, 2010 3:38 pm

Burn Ban in Northern Georgia right now ???????
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 2, 2010 4:11 pm

how so? We've had a good bit of rain last week. I would be willing to bet we'll be able to have individual campfires if we want to.

Trust me... if nothing else, we'll light that bonfire up if I have to light it myself and take the blame! :bananabat:

Fear not... there is a traditional summer burn ban that goes from May 1 to September 30. We're going to have us a fine bonfire!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby graveleye » Oct 2, 2010 5:16 pm

here is a little bit of what the Cave-In was like for us last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmFdnwv6TwU

I am ready for the Cave-In to get here LET IT BE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby wendy » Oct 2, 2010 6:48 pm

Sungura wrote:WOO LESS THAN A WEEK NOW!!
Just in case stuff wouldn't wash/dry in one night or somesuch, I got another caving outfit (for free! yay points on credit card!), same pants different jacket though, of the one I absolutely love. Stuff from the activewear section on LandsEnd.com - even my lime green jacket after three trips that got mud coated each time is still lime green after decon/wash. The fabric washes out so amazingly well, and it's warm, and soft inside, and flexible (unlike any cave suit I've ever tried, dang things are so restricting for movement!)...and they do dry fast and when they get wet somehow it acts wetsuit-ish, I've never been cold in them even in water caves. :) I actually packed all my cave clothes stuffed into that pack I bought! I was impressed with how well I can pack, haha.
Now I just have to find kneepads...was going to go with the howitzer suggestion but their site isn't working...have an email out to them. I know many seem to like the crawldaddies but I don' thave $80 to drop on a pair right now.
Oh, and I have to get the photo I'm gonna enter printed. It's sweeeeeeeeet I bet no one has ever seen this formation before if you haven't caved in Michigan at least. Ok so not exactly a speleothem but I"ll just leave you to guess ;)

tl;dr I'm almost ready! :cavingrocks:

Howie of Howie's Harnesses retired. I think either on rope or inner mountain took over their inventory. I got my boyfriend the howitzer knee pads, reminds me of my bombers, which are about done, i need to get new pads too.

Look for me next week. I'l be camped up the road between the spa and the bathhouse, onthe left side of the road. My campsite has a beach umbrella with palm trees on it. oh and just walking around, my bf will have a mohawk by then.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Oct 2, 2010 6:49 pm

graveleye wrote:how so? We've had a good bit of rain last week. I would be willing to bet we'll be able to have individual campfires if we want to.

Trust me... if nothing else, we'll light that bonfire up if I have to light it myself and take the blame! :bananabat:

Fear not... there is a traditional summer burn ban that goes from May 1 to September 30. We're going to have us a fine bonfire!

I think he was asking a question.

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 2, 2010 7:33 pm

wendy wrote:Howie of Howie's Harnesses retired. I think either on rope or inner mountain took over their inventory. I got my boyfriend the howitzer knee pads, reminds me of my bombers, which are about done, i need to get new pads too.

Look for me next week. I'l be camped up the road between the spa and the bathhouse, onthe left side of the road. My campsite has a beach umbrella with palm trees on it. oh and just walking around, my bf will have a mohawk by then.
OH great. Well I guess I'll get cheap ones from the local hardware store in case I can't get any when I'm there.

I'll look for you! I'm going to re-dye my hair 'cause it's a bit light on the color, but it's a purpley red so it'll probably stand out some. Do people wear name tags there? that'd be handy.

Cool video by the way. I checked out a few others that were in the bar on the right too. Some of them make me want to learn vertical again (again as in I used to want to learn, then i got really freaked out once, and seeing some of the coolness you can see if you know it kinda makes me interested again). Not on my list of things to do this coming weekend though. Maybe in a few months...years...haha. Okay okay if I end up moving down there next year I'll probably pick it up. It's not like I have money for the gear for it anyway right now.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Oct 2, 2010 8:53 pm

Sungura wrote:
wendy wrote:Howie of Howie's Harnesses retired. I think either on rope or inner mountain took over their inventory. I got my boyfriend the howitzer knee pads, reminds me of my bombers, which are about done, i need to get new pads too.

OH great. Well I guess I'll get cheap ones from the local hardware store in case I can't get any when I'm there.

I'll look for you! I'm going to re-dye my hair 'cause it's a bit light on the color, but it's a purpley red so it'll probably stand out some. Do people wear name tags there? that'd be handy.

Cool video by the way. I checked out a few others that were in the bar on the right too. Some of them make me want to learn vertical again (again as in I used to want to learn, then i got really freaked out once, and seeing some of the coolness you can see if you know it kinda makes me interested again). Not on my list of things to do this coming weekend though. Maybe in a few months...years...haha. Okay okay if I end up moving down there next year I'll probably pick it up. It's not like I have money for the gear for it anyway right now.

yes you have to have your name tag on at all times while you are on the cave-in site. they check to make sure you have them when you leave and when you get back (by car), it reminds me of a military base where you have to show id

are you flying? If it helps I have a one man and a two man tent you could borrow if you want. we are using our bigger tent that weekend

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 2, 2010 10:03 pm

Yeah I'm flying down. I'm coming with my friend David though, so he's got all the camping stuffs covered as well as my transport (he lives in Atlanta). I think he has something going on Thursday evening? so we won't be up there until late Thursday night. Thanks for the offer though! :)
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mudduck » Oct 3, 2010 9:12 am

wendy wrote:
graveleye wrote:how so? We've had a good bit of rain last week. I would be willing to bet we'll be able to have individual campfires if we want to.

I think he was asking a question.

I was as we have a burn ban where i am. Question answered though. Thnx
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Oct 4, 2010 9:02 am

Howie sold his inventory to Bruce over at OR1. Not sure if Bruce has Howizters though. Bruce did make me a nifty pack out of Howie's Shazam though :-)
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events