2010 TAG Fall Cave-in

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

2010 TAG Fall Cave-in

Postby graveleye » May 25, 2010 8:14 am

Announcing the 33rd annual TAG Fall Cave-In, October 7-10, 2010. This event is open to NSS members and their guests only.

The event is sure to be a great time, and to make it even better, for the first time ever, you can register and pay online!! Preregistration starts June 1st, and you can register here: http://www.tagfallcavein.org/

Got that?

ONLINE REGISTRATION!!!

http://www.tagfallcavein.org/

More information and updates will be posted as we get it.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Re: 2010 TAG Fall Cave-in

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 21, 2010 9:51 pm

WOO! After a scary weekend of airline prices rocketing before I got paid, I just booked my flight today.
I WILL BE THERE!!!!! :D :D :D
:bananabat:
:cavingrocks:

I've never been to any caving events so I'm especially excited! I wish my question up in the photography forum would be answered though...do photos entered have to be taken in the TAG caves or can it be any? I have a sweet photo I'd like to enter due to it's uniqueness but its from a cave here in Michigan. And I can't find anything in the rules that states one way or another.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 21, 2010 10:24 pm

Sungura wrote:I wish my question up in the photography forum would be answered though...do photos entered have to be taken in the TAG caves or can it be any? I have a sweet photo I'd like to enter due to it's uniqueness but its from a cave here in Michigan. And I can't find anything in the rules that states one way or another.

I'm not a TAG caver and I've never attended a TAG Cave-In, but for what it's worth I can't imagine why non-TAG cave photos would not be accepted. NSS photo salons frequently include cave photos taken in other countries.

Did you try contacting Kelly directly to ask? See this post.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Batgirl » Sep 22, 2010 4:02 am

Sungura, Here are the rules for submission. Feel free to contact Kelly directly if you have any questions. There doesn't appear to be any rules about where the caves are.

Photo Salon for 2010 TAG Fall Cave In

Photos will be accepted in two categories:

1)Caves - includes entrance/exterior scenes, formations, big room shots, macro shots, etc...

2)Cave Life & Cavers - includes shots of cavers and cave life (crickets, salamanders, bats, etc...)

*You can drop your photos off in the Dogwood City Grotto booth (found on
vendors row) beginning Thursday (October 7th) at 4pm. It will be self serve
on site and you will need to fill out and attach a label to the back of each
of your photos that includes your name, title of your photo and the cave
name. There will be a sperate number label to attach to the front of your
photo for judging.

*Photos may be matted or unmatted. You may also mount your photos on foam
board. Due to space limitations max print size allowed for entry is 16x20. 
Each photographer may enter up to 3 photos per category.

*Please note your photos will be on display in a tent. The Dogwood City
Grotto is not responsible to any damage that occurs to your photo(s) while
on display, therefore we suggesst you not submit an original or expensive
prints.

Judging:

Judging will be People's Choice Award and will begin on Friday at Noon and
will close on Saturday at Noon. There will be a prize and a ribbon for the
1st place winner in each category. 2nd and 3rd place will also receive
recognition and a ribbon. Winners will be announced Saturday evening just
prior to the door prizes.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact Kelly Smallwood at
rowland7840@bellsouth.net

Thanks,
Kelly
^V^
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Sep 22, 2010 8:02 am

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. I posted a response on the forum this morning under the original post and question. I don't get on this site very often...! kelly ^V^
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE

Postby graveleye » Sep 22, 2010 8:37 am

Sungura wrote:WOO! After a scary weekend of airline prices rocketing before I got paid, I just booked my flight today.
I WILL BE THERE!!!!! :D :D :D

hey that's awesome!!! We'll have to be sure to meet, maybe go caving. I'm thinking about leading a trip, but not sure where yet. I've thought about going back to Long Island Saltpeter Cave since I had such a good time there last time.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Sep 22, 2010 8:41 am

Kevin, that would be a great one to lead during the cave in because the weekend after the cave in the preserve will close for hunting season. Then after hunting season the SCCI would have to work out another lease with the landowner since the current lease was only good for one year... Hopefully they will be able to but there are no guarantees...! kelly ^V^
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 22, 2010 12:11 pm

Ooh that sounds fun! Don't make it during Kelly's trip though because I already said I was doing that one :) well unless it is a vertical cave, then I don't care (well, I care, but I can't do those as I have no training for it yet).

I shouldn't be too hard to find. I'll be the quarter nervous (eeps lots of new people!) half bubbly and excited and quarter huggly person there with (if the color is still in my hair) purpley red hair :) Yeah my default greeting is a big hug but I often forget that isn't always accepted as an appropriate greeting, haha. I got the nickname once of "LHC: Large Hug Collider" xD
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Sep 22, 2010 12:35 pm

I'm still not 100% certain that I'm going to the Long Island cave, but it's at the top of my list right now since I liked it so much. It's totally horizontal and pretty neat. I imagine that it will be a pretty popular destination since it's not too far away. Even if I don't lead a trip I might just go there anyway.

So what cave is Kelly heading to?
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Sep 22, 2010 12:48 pm

I am leading a trip to Anderson Spring Cave on nearby Pigeon Mountain on Friday morning. It's a wet horizontal cave, but not wetsuit required.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 22, 2010 1:52 pm

Maybe do Long Island on Saturday?? :)

Okay really stupid newbie question warning: I only really have one caving outfit (as in, complete set of clothing that is non-cotton that is warm - actually it was too warm when I was in tumbling rock but it works well for the caves up north here that are colder). Is there a way to wash/get it dry between the two days? I do have an extra set of pants I can bring along I just try to not use them 'cause they are too big guy's pants and even pulling the drawstring tight on crawls i tend to..uh..lose them a bit >_>
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Sep 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Typically in the past when i've visited Anderson Spring cave i've always worn a pair of cargo pants with a pair of poly's underneath and a tshirt with a poly under it too. In your pack make sure to bring an extra shirt in case you get cold.

Not sure if there will be a decon station set up at the TAG site this year, there was last year but that doesn't mean there will be one this year.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Okay dokey. I guess I"ll just bring the crappy outfit I don't like (it was my quickie Salvation Army purchase few months ago to get me something to wear that was poly) just in case. The outfit I like, I use that in the cave up north here which is wet as well (about half of it is walking/crawling in 6" - 1foot maybe a bit more of cold water) and it's kept me warm and dries out fast so that should do well.

If anything, I'll learn what I am missing when I'm there so I'll know for next time! haha!
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Sep 22, 2010 2:20 pm

I'll see if I can find out if there will be a decon station this year. Becasuse if so you may prefer to wear your warmer outfit in Anderson Spring. Mainly because of the water factor. There is at least one low/wet hands/knees crawl where you can get wet up to your chest. For the most part you are walking in stream passage anywhere from ankle to knee deep in water. I don't expect there to be too much water in there this time of year due to the hot summer and lack of rain recently.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Sounds like a terrific cave! :) And yes, I was gonna wear my better/warmer outfit in that one because I know it does very well in water. It's no wetsuit but it sorta acts as one I think...first bit of water is cold and then in a few minutes I'm warm and fine - I've been in it wet for 2 hours before and didn't get cold. Hence I like it a lot! :)
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Caver Events