2010 NSS Convention, Essex, VT

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2010 NSS Convention, Essex, VT

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 16, 2010 7:36 am

On your way to the Convention, you might want to plan a side trip to see the Vermontasaurus in Post Mills, Vt. It may be going extinct soon.

Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

NSS Convention rider bulletin board

Postby dlocklear01 » Jul 18, 2010 1:39 am

Is there a bulletin board posted on-line anywhere showing who is looking for riders and who needs a ride to the
NSS Convention?

There is a non-caver in Sacremento, California ( on Craiglist ) willing to pay someone to drive his diesel Volkswagen
to Vermont on July 28th.
dlocklear01
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 18, 2010 10:27 am

I haven't seen one for several years, until I moan, groan, and complain about it. It was always a good help, I thought--getting all sorts of answers taken care of. :tonguecheek: I'll see if someone knows and get back at you.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby John Lovaas » Jul 18, 2010 11:11 am

Ernie Coffman wrote:I haven't seen one for several years, until I moan, groan, and complain about it.

Funny- for a second, I thought you were talking about diesel VWs! ;-)

I traversed Vermont S-N-S by bicycle back in 1989, and I deduced that all vintage Volkswagens go to Vermont to live out their twilight years- I was pretty sure I saw every 411/412 wagon ever imported into North America on that trip.

There is a rideboard for the Convention- we're using it right now.

The webhost capabilities for the VT website may preclude running a discussion board there- and without constant supervision, ads for counterfeit Nikes and erectile dysfunction remedies may overwhelm most users ;-)

I've mentioned it here before- there's an Amtrak station 1 mile from the Convention site, and that line runs out of Penn Station in NYC; there are a variety of cheap ways to fly into NYC and shuttle over to Penn Station.

A road trip in a diesel VW out of Sacramento sounds like fun too. Unless the driver is responsible for repair costs during the drive ;-(
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jul 18, 2010 2:28 pm

The webhost capabilities for the VT website may preclude running a discussion board there- and without constant supervision, ads for counterfeit Nikes and erectile dysfunction remedies may overwhelm most users ;-)

Why have a dog and bark yourself? Use Cavechat! Talk to David Grimes about setting up a Convention 2010 forum or topic in the NSS Forum for attendees, and put a link to it on the Convention Website. Sure, people will have to sign up for Cavechat if they're new to it, but they'd have to sign up anyway for a discussion board that the Convention would set up. (I believe we can archive the forum/topic in a few months to clean up the TOC.)

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Kim Fleischmann » Jul 18, 2010 2:55 pm

WANTED: Entries for the Symbolic Emblem Salon and T-Shirt Salon at the 2010 NSS Convention

Did your grotto, region, or event design a new patch, pin, T-shirt, or other symbolic device? Are you an individual artist who has designed a new caver T-shirt or logo? We'd love to display your entries in Vermont, so please visit http://www.caves.org/committee/salons and click on T-shirt Salon or Symblic Emblem Salon for entry requirements.

Please note that the T-shirts and symbolic emblems can be from any timeframe, not just from last year. The only requirement is that the design has not been entered in past salons.

Please get your mail-in entries in the mail THIS WEEK! I'm willing to take mail-in entries even if they arrive after Sat, July 24th, but they must arrive before I leave for Convention on Fri, July 30th.

If you choose to deliver the entries to me in person, please get them to me by noon on Sunday. Remember - if you can't make the noon deadline, you can always mail your entry this week.

Thanks -

Kim Fleischmann
Chair, T-shirt Salon
Chair, Symbolic Emblem Salon
Kim Fleischmann
Infrequent Poster

Postby KENTO » Jul 19, 2010 1:22 pm

I hope it is not too late. I had an extremely bad experience flying into Lebanon , NH with my wife in 2005. We just needed to get to Dartmouth College 20 miles up the road. The internet lists taxi service and car rental , but , it's 2 competing individuals who occasionally taxi a client in their personal vehicle. Maybe 3 rental cars nearby if they haven't booked already. But it's only a 2 mile walk to town where this is an occasional transit bus that changes pickup stops without warning , ... another 5 miles to the Interstate up to Vermont , just one problem , no one will pick you up if you try hitchiking. They won't even look at you if you are asking for assistance. We were working for our non-profit , the store manager at LL Bean would not offer any assistance , though we were dressed professionally. And we thought they supported the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. Our trip from Indiana to New Hampshire took part of the morning , the Last 20 miles took the rest of the day into the evening.
KENTO
Prolific Poster

NSS #: #18,986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BloomingtonIndiana Grotto

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jul 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks everyone for the travel advice. Bonny and I have a flight booked into Albany on Friday morning. See you in Burlington!
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby jwashin » Jul 21, 2010 11:13 am

Lightning Talks Session

Friday afternoon at Convention

It's essentially BYO short program. Five (or so) minute time limit. Any topic related to caves, cavers, or caving. Always interesting. No preregistration to participate.
It runs until we run out of time, or we run out of speakers.

We provide:
    screen
    computer with powerpoint viewer
    clicker / laser pointer
Presenters bring:
    short talk or presentation - if you need visuals, bring them on USB flash drive in powerpoint format
Part of the fun is that we do not know in advance what/who we are going to see.

Answers to frequently-asked questions:

1. Sure. Cut it down to just the interesting part, and bring it.
2. Yes, your vitae/resume can say that you gave a talk at NSS Convention.
3. Lightning-bolt shaped gold-plated pewter pins, while supplies last.
4. Bringing your own computer slows things down, so we'd rather not.
5. Really, no preregistration. Just show up.
6. You do not have to participate to enjoy the show.

See you there!
Jim Washington
jwashin
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 25, 2010 8:47 pm

Hey there NZ, I understand that you've changed your mind and gonna be at the VT convention after all. :banana_yay: Well, that's pretty cool. It must have been that ad for Ben...and whatchacallit's ice cream, 'eh? :rofl: Don't see you registered, though :shrug: so you better get hooked up with them thar people...with your big bucks. Then, you can get that ten dollar off ticket for the Colorado convention. :woohoo: Every little bit counts, so they say. Anyway, good to know we might see you across the U.S. once again; and, hope that we'll see some of your exciting pix, again, this year. :cave softly:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 25, 2010 10:09 pm

I see bad news travels fast. :tonguecheek: Yes Ernie, I've made a last-minute decision to clear my schedule, cash in my airline miles, and make my way to Vermont. The opportunity to bother you some more was high on my list of motivating factors. :big grin:

As you so astutely noticed I'm not pre-registered - and yes, I'll be paying a little more to the Good Cause when I show up next Saturday. I do like Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, and I like Cabot Cheese even better. I've lost track of the number of times I toured the factory when I lived in VT.

I would very much like to attend the Colorado convention next year, but as usual I'm restricted to how far ahead I can plan with any degree of certainty. You'll see some more of my prints this year - assuming they are accepted for show, of course.

Oh, and I'll have a vehicle with me this time. If you need a local airport pickup or anything, give me a call.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby NZcaver » Jul 25, 2010 10:18 pm

:woohoo: Volunteers needed! :woohoo:

For those attending convention, please consider volunteering to do a shift on the gate. Officially we're not "security" this year, just gatekeepers. We need your help. Shifts are 4 hours long, and are being covered the first 3 nights by hired security guards. Ask at registration about signing up for this and/or other volunteer positions. Convention would not exist without volunteers!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Howardhurtt » Jul 26, 2010 6:51 pm

I will be arriving Boston Saturday 7/31 at 0630 and need a ride to Convention. Can anyone help?
Howard Hurtt
howard.hurtt@gmail.com
Howardhurtt
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 9271
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley

Postby mgmills » Jul 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Howardhurtt wrote:I will be arriving Boston Saturday 7/31 at 0630 and need a ride to Convention. Can anyone help?
Howard Hurtt
howard.hurtt@gmail.com

Glenn and I are on the way to Vermont. . . tonight we are at Cedar Island NC. Catching a ferry tomorrow to the Outer Banks. Last night were at Holden Pier Campground in NC. Saw a bat sticker on a red ford truck in Holden Beach this am.

Sorry we can't help with the ride. On July 31 we will be in Maine. We are vacationing on the way up.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby mgmills » Aug 3, 2010 4:02 pm

Here in my camp. So far good convention. Saw lots of old friends at the Howdy Party. Jansen, if you read this before the Wednesday party give me a shout. I'd like to meet you. Have been trying to check my e-mail in the evening and morning. Now have a verizon wireless internet connection . . . no more dial up and portable access.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events