Caves on a Topo

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Caves on a Topo

Postby bigalpha » Feb 1, 2006 6:24 pm

So, I got some topo's of the area around where I live. Given only a topo, can you deduce where cave entrances are most likely to be? e.g. at the beginning of a stream? Are there guidelines to something like that?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 1, 2006 6:54 pm

Ah, I wish it were that easy. But, yes. You can deduce where a cave is likely to be. Knowledge of the local geology and geography also helps. It's rare that you just stumble into the woods and find a cave. You usually stumble upon a cave after lots of research, trial and error, talking to locals, visiting the area's known caves, talking to cavers familiar with the area. Even then, sometimes it's better to just tape the topo to the wall, close your eyes and throw a dart at it. Mother Nature has been known to hide her good stuff.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby bigalpha » Feb 1, 2006 7:02 pm

So, what kind of stuff should you look for on a topo to help identify areas that would have the best chance of finding a cave(s)?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Feb 1, 2006 7:05 pm

Here in the Cdn Rockies it is not as helpful to use topos to find caves, because glaciation has changed the original drainage patterns that existed when the caves were forming. As a result, many of our best caves are located in topographically illogical places (middle of cliffs, that sort of thing) altho locating high-altitude karst plateaus on topo sheets can lead you to alot of surviving, but blocked, shafts... Sometimes you can locate resurgences on topos, but ours tend to be buried beneath till on the valley floors.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby bigalpha » Feb 1, 2006 7:55 pm

So, topographically, caves are located at the base of cliffs; near resurgences, etc...
Last edited by bigalpha on Feb 1, 2006 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lynn » Feb 1, 2006 8:04 pm

Scott McCrea wrote: Even then, sometimes it's better to just tape the topo to the wall, close your eyes and throw a dart at it. Mother Nature has been known to hide her good stuff.

For Petes Sake :hairpull: someone has discovered my dart method!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/cavers CAVERS, CAVES & CAVING PHOTOS
Lynn
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34627LF

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 1, 2006 8:41 pm

bigalpha wrote:So, what kind of stuff should you look for on a topo to help identify areas that would have the best chance of finding a cave(s)?

There is a lot to look for. Too much to just list. Most of it comes from experience. But there may be another way to help you out, and have some fun keyboard caving at the same time. :woohoo: Find an area where you think there may be a cave. Tell us how to find it on Topozone.com. We will take a look and give you some input about the location and its potential. :kewl:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 1, 2006 9:43 pm

BigA -- Come to an NSS Convention and take the 'Speleology for Cavers" course. It covers a bit of everything having to do with caves, and the part on geology and speleogenesis might give you some insight into where to hunt for caves.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby hewhocaves » Feb 1, 2006 10:47 pm

bigalpha... topos can only help to a certain degree. Eventually, you do have to walk the actual ridge. Aerial photgraphs, used in conjunction with topos are helpful, as are geological maps. But all that will do is narrow down the search some, and the cave entrance might still be in a tiny sinkhole in the middle of a field.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby barcelonacvr » Feb 2, 2006 12:51 am

I found a karst area by walking,walking and walking some more.The Topo showed all the sinking streams I found as being surface flow.They can be a good help but they are a very small part of the big picture when hunting.I find air phot's to be a lot more productive to narrow down walk areas.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigalpha » Feb 2, 2006 8:57 am

Scott -

I'll definitely do that! Just gotta find some time between Chemistry, Geomorphology, and the stupid tests we have to take :(

Cheryl-

I'll sure try like all hell-fire to get out to a convention.....but life is so crazy and unpredictable, I can only do my best!

I didn't think that using a topo was a foolproof method - but I just didn't know how helpful it could be, and how to use topos to supplement cave-finding.

I'll get back to you guys..
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Lets discuss this at the grotto meeting

Postby RobVan » Feb 2, 2006 10:22 am

Come to the Grotto meeting. Bring your topo. We will discuss.

Tonight (Feb. 2). 7 PM. Call Jason to maybe carpool.

Robert
RobVan
Infrequent Poster

Postby bigalpha » Feb 2, 2006 11:17 am

Unfortunately I cannot make it tonite. Ultimate is tonite. I can probably make it next month - I'll even try to bring a friend!
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 2, 2006 11:27 am

Never mind :chicken: (I don't see how to delete a post!)
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Learning how to find caves

Postby RobVan » Feb 2, 2006 12:06 pm

OK. We have plenty of cave-finding expertise in the Grotto. Gerald Moni is one of the biggest ridge-walkers in TAG, and Joe Douglas also has discovered many caves. Both of them rarely miss a meeting. There are many others. I'm sure it will make a lively discussion for the March meeting.

In the meantime, maybe you can make one of our trips this month. PM your email address to me if you'd like a newsletter.

Robert
RobVan
Infrequent Poster

Next

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum