50 Words for Mud

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby KENTO » Jan 26, 2006 1:02 pm

I remember my pals in the BIG/IUSC speaking of Baby Shit mud often as a descriptor of the Light brown very liquid mud perhaps best found in Binkleys Cave in Indiana although it can be found in the overall Mammoth Cave area too in the lower passages.
Speaking of Mammoth there is an incredible preponderance of Cave Beetles there and they leave evidence of their existence by aerating the soil surfaces until it has the appearance of the finest lace Swiss cheese. It is always a clue you are forging ahead into virgin territory which is not that hard to do , even in Main Ridge Mammoth. It doesnt look wet at all but as your knees and elbows sink into it , your formerly dry clothes begin to sponge up amazing quantities of H20. I never heard this discussed specifically back in the 80's ( my time of activity with CRF and Roppelgangers ) , I would propose however the term Mammoth Cave Mousse as a descriptor for the soil surface left behind by those amazing beetles. Somebody ask Roger Brucker now , .... :waving:
KENTO
Prolific Poster

NSS #: #18,986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BloomingtonIndiana Grotto

Postby Lava » Jan 26, 2006 2:31 pm

KENTO wrote:I remember my pals in the BIG/IUSC speaking of Baby Shit mud often as a descriptor of the Light brown very liquid mud perhaps best found in Binkleys Cave in Indiana although it can be found in the overall Mammoth Cave area too in the lower passages.

Yeah, I can't believe babyshit mud wasn't the first thing said. Must be an Indiana thing.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby Casper » Jan 26, 2006 5:20 pm

pudding- just like jello chocolate pudding through a not nearly as tasty
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Postby NZcaver » Jan 26, 2006 5:48 pm

What about "dry lake bed" mud? :question:

Less like traditional cave mud, and more like formation... cool, huh? :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Nico » Jan 26, 2006 9:10 pm

Thats pretty common outside of caves NZ, at least here in the semi desert.

The quickpoo thing has a word for it in spanish "cieno" I cant find a word for it in english.
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jan 26, 2006 11:55 pm

Nico wrote:Thats pretty common outside of caves NZ, at least here in the semi desert.

The quickpoo thing has a word for it in spanish "cieno" I cant find a word for it in english.

That shot was taken UNDER the semi-desert - and not too far from Mexico, either... :wink:

So "quickpoo" translates to "cieno" in Spanish? Cool! :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Teresa » Jan 27, 2006 11:01 am

Milkshake mud (uneven consistency of a handmade milkshake)
malted mud (uniformly soupy mud from trampling)
cottage mudcheese
mud lard (slick, has grit)
Crisco mud (slick, no grit)
unctuous red clay (yep, cavers really use this) (originally from Bretz)
Gloppy mud
phreatic red clay (slightly drier/grittier than unctuous--contains dolomite sand grains)
Mississippi mud (cave sediment derived from limestone--brown with organics common in vadose caves)
sock-sucking mud (pulls socks from your holey boots, with the boots still on your feet)
wall-walker mud (stiff consistency, enables you to climb mud banks like Spiderman)
mud-diving-- caving in Missouri

"if you ain't in mud, you ain't cavin."
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Nico » Jan 27, 2006 11:21 am

Not exactly like that NZ, a translation of quickpoo would be "rapida popo" cieno stands for that kind of mud you were talkin about.
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tropicalbats » Jan 28, 2006 1:22 am

Nico wrote:Not exactly like that NZ, a translation of quickpoo would be "rapida popo" cieno stands for that kind of mud you were talkin about.

Nico,

Just guessing here, but quickpoo probably is a twist on the english word "quicksand." So rapida popo is probably not the proper translation of quickpoo. Quicksand is "arena movediza" and thus quickpoo would likely be a takeoff on this, or, as you said, cieno.

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby Nico » Jan 28, 2006 3:03 pm

Just guessing here, but quickpoo probably is a twist on the english word "quicksand." So rapida popo is probably not the proper translation of quickpoo. Quicksand is "arena movediza" and thus quickpoo would likely be a takeoff on this, or, as you said, cieno.

Keith

:exactly:
I know all that tropicalbats, I was just stressing the fact that cieno is not an exact translation for quickpoo.
Anyways thank you for tryin to clarify it.

muy bien hecho compadre, lo felicito por conocer tan bien el idioma. :kewl:
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum