Buckner Cave Question

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Buckner Cave Question

Postby jill » Jan 19, 2006 6:55 pm

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with Buckner Cave in Monroe County, IN. I know that it is a dry cave and have read that it is "generally safe" in rainy weather, but wanted some more details on this topic. Does anyone know what "generally safe" means?
Thanks!
-jill-
jill
New Poster

Re: Buckner Cave Question

Postby cob » Jan 19, 2006 7:02 pm

jill wrote:Does anyone know what "generally safe" means?
Thanks!
-jill-

Yeah. It means as long as you are in the cave under the same conditions as the last group, you should be ok.
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Gizmologist » Jan 19, 2006 11:33 pm

I've been to Buckner's about a dozen times in my life... the last being last weekend. I've only gone in Winter, but I think it's safe to say that unless you're talking about rain of near biblical proportions, Buckner's is very safe with regard to flooding if you stick to "The Loop". In that regard, I think the only section that might not be passable in extreme "high water" times would be the section between the Cairn Room and the Signature Room. But due to the nature of the loop, even if that section isn't passable, you can still see the rest of the cave that's normally traveled.

On a side note, before last weekend my previous visit was 4 years ago. My hat's off to the new conservancy group that's managing the cave. The cave is in so much better shape now, it's amazing.
Gizmologist
Infrequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Jan 20, 2006 5:30 am

I am going to Buckners tomorrow. I have been to the cave 13 times over the years. Last time I was there was in October. I am not planning a big trip, it's been 10 years since I have gone deep in the cave. I want to make it to the Volcano room this trip.

It's a safe cave. The waterfall route is probably affected by heavy rain, but the Circle route is dry.
ScottM
Occasional Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Jan 20, 2006 5:55 pm

Jill,

As mentioned, flooding is not a problem in Buckner. Extreme rain would be required to present dangerous conditions in which case you probably would'nt be caving anyway.

The biggest danger is becoming lost or stuck. Assuming you have sense enough to stay out of spots that are too tight and pay close attention to your route the cave is quite safe. The "Loop" or "Circle Route" is the most pouplar route thru the cave but can be very difficult to follow if one is'nt familiar with it.

At present, access is granted at the gate if you have at least three people in your group and are able to show that you have all the proper gear (hard hat, 3 lite sources ect.).

If you planning a trip, try to include someone who knows the cave. You'll likely see more cave if you do.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Gizmologist » Jan 23, 2006 4:26 pm

At present, access is granted at the gate if you have at least three people in your group and are able to show that you have all the proper gear (hard hat, 3 lite sources ect.).

Update: In mid-January I was informed that the property no longer has a regular "gate-keeper" on-site. Unless the situation reverts, request for access should be requested in advance from the conservancy group managing the property. Send an e-mail stating your intentions to: buckners-request-l@listserv.indiana.edu Some one will reply to you in short order.
Gizmologist
Infrequent Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Jan 23, 2006 6:17 pm

Gizmologist,

Thanks for the news. I was sure there would be a change soon but had'nt checked on it's status lately.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Billy » Jan 23, 2006 9:49 pm

So you are saying Art has moved on? I'm sure there's quite a few sides to this story, but I have to say he was a deciding factor in keeping the riff-raff out...
Billy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 53221
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal

Postby reece » Jan 24, 2006 11:46 am

a few years back, the entire entrance crawl was flooded. i can remember the entrance crawl being incredibly dry and dusty.

just remember that weird things CAN and sometimes DO happen.
--
these are not the opinions of Great Basin NP, or the NPS, just mine.
reece
Infrequent Poster

Postby Mike Hood » Jan 24, 2006 12:03 pm

reece wrote:a few years back, the entire entrance crawl was flooded. i can remember the entrance crawl being incredibly dry and dusty.

just remember that weird things CAN and sometimes DO happen.

My understanding was that some folks were digging along the wall in the entrance room and that re-routed the water that comes into the entrance into the crawlway and caused the flooding. I also remember when the crawl was very dusty. The last time I was there it was very muddy in places and had a couple small puddles of standing water.

Mike
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby ScottM » Jan 24, 2006 3:02 pm

As of 1-21-06, the entrance crawl is still very dry and dusty. I inhaled quite a bit of it last weekend.
ScottM
Occasional Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Jan 24, 2006 5:35 pm

ScottM wrote:As of 1-21-06, the entrance crawl is still very dry and dusty. I inhaled quite a bit of it last weekend.

So was Art there to mind the gate or did you arrange permission thru the IKC? Art has come & gone several times over the years but my assumption has been that once a visitation policy was decided on, he would be relieved of his duties. Perhaps he just decided to move on (again) and forced the issue?
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ScottM » Jan 24, 2006 6:21 pm

Art was not there, I spoke via email with Dick Blenz, and got permission to cave there. Art was there in October when I was there last, but I don't know if he is there anymore. The property is gated, and you will need permission and the combination to enter.
ScottM
Occasional Poster

Postby Gizmologist » Jan 25, 2006 2:39 pm

So you are saying Art has moved on?

I have no idea about the circumstances, but in a pre-visit e-mail exchange with one of the conservancy board members I was told "Art is no longer keeping the gate." That's all I know.

So was Art there to mind the gate or did you arrange permission thru the IKC?

A quick clarification: The IKC doesn't manage Buckner's. Dick Blenz has set up a seperate conservancy group for Buckner's. It's named, appropriately, the "Richard Blenz Conservancy". I have no background info on its genesis.
Gizmologist
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum