Clarksville Grotto?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Comments from the Nashville Grotto

Postby RobVan » Jan 31, 2006 3:14 pm

You guys do know that you are welcome in Nashville, right? If you feel otherwise for any reason let’s discuss it (privately if need be).

I don’t think you need to have your own Grotto in order to promote caving in your area, on the contrary, as the caving community becomes more oriented towards email exchanges and discussion forums like this one, the location of the physical meetings becomes less relevant.

Nashville Grotto members already are actively caving in the Clarksville area. In the past year NG members have participated in at least 2 survey projects in Montgomery County and 2 in nearby Robertson County. All these were multi-trip projects in relatively large caves. We’ve toured other area caves, held vertical training and practice at the bluffs in Clarksville and in Ashland City, and even had a canoe trip on the Red River. A trip to Clarksville Lake Cave is on the calendar (February 18th).

Clarksville is more convenient to Nashville than much of the Plateau, so I think you might be surprised by the amount of interest there would be for trips and projects in your area, especially if you’re willing to take a leadership role.

Finally, should you decide to continue working towards your own Grotto, there are probably Nashville Grotto members who would be willing to share their experience and expertise with you, so please feel free to call on us as a resource.

We’re still meeting every 1st Thursday at the Adventure Science Center, 7 PM; hope to see you all there.

Robert Van Fleet
RobVan
Infrequent Poster

Postby BenC » Feb 9, 2006 11:28 pm

Honestly I think the big issue is the drive! :doh:
I refer all questions to a hyper-intelligent shade of blue.
BenC
Frequent Poster

Postby Lynn » Feb 10, 2006 11:32 am

Lately, my husband and I have been pseudo caving in your area to collect airflow data on a cave. We refer to as pseudo caving because we can only be in the cave entrance and not actually cave due to protected species such as a very rare cave beetle, blind crayfish, and gray bat.

Having caved in the Clarksville area on numerous occasions I feel Clarksville could easily support a grotto, if you choose to form one. :wink:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/cavers CAVERS, CAVES & CAVING PHOTOS
Lynn
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34627LF

Postby BenC » Feb 11, 2006 10:19 pm

I belive I have seen one gray in a cave we have been doing some survey in. Are there any distinguishing features other than color? I know I could just look it up but it's much more fun asking!!

I think Clarksville can support a grotto also, and non of us interested in have anything against Nashville grotto. I've only been able to make one meeting due to work + long drive + long drive back. Something local may be the answer or maybe work will interfere with those also!
BenC
Frequent Poster

Postby Lynn » Feb 12, 2006 9:32 am

I'm not a biologist, :wink: but I do know gray bats like to cluster. A batologist might be able to tell you more.

It was a good gesture of Robert to invite you guys to Nashville as well as offer assistance if you decide to form a grotto. I understand that the drive is a long one for you guys. Wouldn't it be about a 2 hour round trip?
Lynn
Prolific Poster

Postby BenC » Feb 12, 2006 11:33 am

Yes it was! Thank you Robert! I honestly mean that I hadn't thought of it till someone pointed it out. Ich bin ein dumkopf!

Well this was one lone fellow, Gray coat. I didn't want to look too close for fear of waking him up. So I don't really have much of a description, seemed to have large ears and it was a pretty big bat. Definently larger than the Pips. We've seen a few Pips in a cluster ( or do Pips cluster?) but only 8 bats or so total. Mostly right at the entrance.
BenC
Frequent Poster

Postby bigalpha » Feb 12, 2006 1:26 pm

Pips don't cluster -- or so I've been told.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lynn » Feb 12, 2006 2:20 pm

Sounds like it might have been big brown bats.
Lynn
Prolific Poster

Postby CKB69 » Feb 12, 2006 5:43 pm

Yep,big browns ,just inside the entrance to Eclipse Cave.
A few pips in the big room.

If you want to see a lot of big browns,go to Cooper Creek Cave.
Slide. Slide on the ice...
CKB69
Frequent Poster

Postby Lynn » Feb 13, 2006 10:48 am

Thanks, we checked Cooper Creek out about three weeks ago.
First we did the :kaver: passage then the :caving:.
Lynn
Prolific Poster

Postby bigalpha » Feb 13, 2006 4:20 pm

Hey Lynn,

Is Cooper Creek a dry cave? How is getting access to it?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lynn » Feb 13, 2006 5:32 pm

:shhh: Well Bigalpha....I could tell ya but then I'd have to duct tape your mouth. :laughing:
Lynn
Prolific Poster

Postby bigalpha » Feb 14, 2006 8:27 am

Tell me Lynn, do you have a "Flat Pack" Roll of DT, or just the standard roll?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Cooper Creek

Postby RobVan » Feb 14, 2006 9:44 am

We can probably do Cooper Creek with the next C. Lake trip. They are close enough together and both are short trips. There are several clusters of Little Browns in Cooper Creek too, as well as all the Big Browns in the crevices.
RobVan
Infrequent Poster

Postby rchrds » Feb 14, 2006 5:07 pm

BigA- I live on the next ridge over from Cooper Creek and was going to do it a couple of weekends ago, but never got there- If you are interested we could wander over there on Friday (I have the day off.) There is a waiver floating around for this cave- if anyone has it on digits, could you email me a copy?

Thanks!

Jason
rchrds@charter.net
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

PreviousNext

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum