Clarksville Grotto?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby rchrds » Feb 14, 2006 5:16 pm

Oh yeah- and since this topic has totally wandered, I am not averse to a local grotto either- I just joined the Nashville grotto, but it would be fun to have a local grotto- particularly with as many really active folks as there are right here in the area. It almost sounds like someone is worried about losing members of the Nashville grotto, or that a Clarksville Grotto might edge into their action. I havent been around long enough to understand the politics behind those concerns. As long as we dont have grotto meetings in the same week, I can still make it to both! So bring it! Who has a cool name for a Clarksville Grotto? (CAG is taken) :banana:
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby bigalpha » Feb 14, 2006 8:54 pm

hey,

yeah man, I'd be up for it, and I'm sure Carl would be too. I think I may even go buy a really decent lamp so I can see where the heck I'm going! I'm gonna go sometime this week and try to find a good pair of overalls.

hit me up!
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CKB69 » Feb 14, 2006 10:04 pm

FYI
Cooper Creek Cave is now owned by The State of Tennessee.
I should have the particulars regarding access in a day or so.
This should also include Darnell's Cave,just north of Cooper Creek Cave.
Slide. Slide on the ice...
CKB69
Frequent Poster

Postby Lynn » Feb 15, 2006 8:48 am

bigalpha wrote:Tell me Lynn, do you have a "Flat Pack" Roll of DT, or just the standard roll?

I have both the "Flat Pack" and the "Standard" roll. :caver:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/cavers CAVERS, CAVES & CAVING PHOTOS
Lynn
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34627LF

Postby bigalpha » Feb 15, 2006 9:08 am

Sounds like you are all good to go Lynn! Does the flat pack hurt as much as the standard roll when you pull it off of skin?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lynn » Feb 15, 2006 9:11 am

Not if you "rip" it off quickly! :doh:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/cavers CAVERS, CAVES & CAVING PHOTOS
Lynn
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34627LF

Postby Hatch » Feb 15, 2006 10:21 am

rchrds wrote:It almost sounds like someone is worried about losing members of the Nashville grotto, or that a Clarksville Grotto might edge into their action.

I don't think this is really true, but like you I'm relatively new to the Nashville Grotto. From my experience and reading old newsletters and talking to people I get the impression that membership goes up and membership goes down. You get what you need out of the grotto based on what you put into it. A lot of people belong to more than one grotto I think also.

My own opinion is that if adding a Clarksville grotto brings more people into the caving community and the NSS and the SCCI then I'm all for it. I'll echo what Robert said though that you should always feel welcome to come to the Nashville grotto meetings whether you're a member or not.
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby bigalpha » Feb 15, 2006 8:39 pm

It's nothing to do with taking away members from certain grottos, or trying to undermine them.

I actually just had a wild idea, and thought that Clarksville had enough cavers, so we could have our own grotto.

It's just easier and more convenient for Clarksvillians.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CKB69 » Feb 15, 2006 10:28 pm

We do not wish to siphon members away from Nashville. If you check the Nashville Grotto's membership list,you will find I am still a member. :wink:
I have no intentions of dropping my membership with The Nashville Grotto,just because we have formed a local Grotto.
Since we have no real need (at this time..) to charge dues,it is not a financial burden on everyone to keep multiple Grotto memberships.

We are forming a local grotto here in Clarksville for the convenience of the cavers that live here.
There are over a dozen cavers in the immediate area,and,a LOT of caves.
Nashville is a long drive,usually after a longer day of work.
My schedule is made by Murphy.
You do the math...

Of course,all are welcome to join/participate. There is a lot to be done.
:calvin:
Slide. Slide on the ice...
CKB69
Frequent Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum