Mountain Cove Cave Complex

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Mountain Cove Cave Complex

Postby graveleye » Oct 18, 2014 8:46 am

It's there. It might only be hickory nut size, but it's there.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby rebelfirefighter » Oct 19, 2014 3:58 pm

I saw a small amount of leaves and some twiggs way back in there so its definately there. Might not be big enough for a rat to squeeze in but its there, somewhere.
rebelfirefighter
Prolific Poster

Name: Andy Witt
NSS #: 63903
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby jeffharris58 » Oct 30, 2016 9:02 pm

About the connection between Four Kings Cave and Mountain Cove Farm Cave #1 - as far as I know, no one has ever dug through and connected these two. The assumption of a connection is inferred from the surface survey plot showing them approximately 50 ft apart - the passage in 4K is a low stream going toward MC1, the one in MC1 is a low crawl with a stream emerging. Also there are raccoon tracks on both sides of the "connection".

"I am impressed that the early explorers / surveyors even found it in the first place. And I doubt they had wetsuits either. " This is in relation to the discovery of the Something Special dome in Ulla Cave - we found it as we were mopping up and surveying passages in the back, and popped out into this dome. And of course we had wetsuits - TAG wetsuits (garbage bag in your helmet). By the way, I believe it Was Ann Davis who first entered it, followed by Ken Davis and then myself.
jeffharris58
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 18137

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum