Need possible cave info near Siloam Springs, IL

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Need possible cave info near Siloam Springs, IL

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Got a buddy who owns some land near siloam springs state park in Illinois. About 8 or 9 years ago his dad dozed some trees into a big pile, the following spring a sinkhole opened up and swallowed the trees. Last night he called me up and told me a hunter found a cave 3/4 mile south of the sinkhole. All of this is located a couple mile from Siloam Springs on the south side of McGee creek, so I know this possible cave system doesnt lead to the spring, unless it goes under the creek (even possible) but what I want to know, is if anyone in illinois, knows of any caves that are associated with siloam springs state park. His family has owned this land for...........at LEAST 3 generations, so no one has been in it and im going to check it out this weekend on my way up to my parents house. I know there are a lot of sinks on private property near the spring, but I just dont know if any caves are known to exist there. Since I don't live in the area anymore, and i am not a member of any grotto's or the ISS or anything, I wouldnt know who to talk to about finding info out about the siloam springs area, other than the internet, and info is shoddy. Thanks

Chad
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Need possible cave info near Siloam Springs, IL

Postby Billy » Dec 23, 2008 7:26 am

There is karst in the area and known caves, Twin Culverts, etc. A friend of mine is from Pittsfield, and has recently dropped a new pit there, I'll let him know.
Billy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 53221
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 23, 2008 10:15 am

I drove past twin culverts the last time I was home, except i came in the back way from the east, holy crap is that road hell!

Anyway I know of 2 sinks with steam that come out near Pittsfield as well. Actually my buddy does, as its his parents land, he knows i cave, so he said to come check them out sometime. Guess they opened up in the past......5 years.

Thanks
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Spark85 » Dec 23, 2008 11:00 am

I have been in a few caves in Pike County and one very nice pit. I am originally from the Pleasant Hill/Pittsfield area and my grandma still owns quite a bit of land between the two towns with a cave adjacent to her property. i would like to know what you find. Thanks, Todd McCartney
Spark85
Infrequent Poster

Name: Todd McCartney
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal Grotto

Postby JackW » Jan 3, 2009 10:16 pm

Chads93GT wrote:i am not a member of any grotto's or the ISS or anything, I wouldnt know who to talk to about finding info out about the siloam springs area, other than the internet, and info is shoddy.

Hi Chad:

If you are going to check out the cave, are you planning to map it? You can request information from the ISS; you don't need to be a member to do that. The ISS website is www.caves.org/iss where you can find links on info for requesting cave data and whom to send your request.

For instance, since you know the location (refine this down to lat/long, quarter sections or UTMs), you can find out from the ISS if there is a reported cave in that location, what is it's name and if a map exists already. I'm pretty sure that information isn't sensitive and will be granted pretty quickly. If you are going to map it, the ISS would be a good place to deposit a copy of your map for other people to reference who are interested in that area. You can also read on the ISS web site how the ISS protects cave data and reserving access while promoting cartography and speleology within the state. Mapping the cave would likely be a stepping stone to getting information about the other caves in the area.

This not only would apply to your interest but to others with an interest in Illinois caves and cartography.

Feel free to contact me off list if you would like further information.
JackW
Prolific Poster

Name: Jack Wood
NSS #: 42272
Primary Grotto Affiliation: FRG

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 4, 2009 12:09 am

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I wasn't able to check it out yet, due to the amount of ice and snow that fell while I was back home for Christmas. I will map it eventually, since a friend owns the land and we grew up together. It will just take a while, unless it turns out to be something huge. Its not conductive for me to drive 3 hours to map a cave when there are plenty to map where i live within walking distance of my house. Thanks again!
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby dkpkid » May 16, 2014 5:46 pm

I just came across your post. I am not a spelunker, but I am interested in the Siloam Springs, Il.area. I have heard of a cave possibly in the area you are talking of. It is named the Light and Dark cave. It is located near the Bowman Cemetery. By near, I mean within a mile or two. It is possible to drive to the cemetery. I have relatives buried there. I also may know a couple of people who have been to the cave and might be able to guide us there. Please respond
dkpkid
New Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum