Caves of Middle & East Tennessee

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Caves of Middle & East Tennessee

Postby mtn » Dec 18, 2005 4:53 pm

First time posting...Any suggestions on good sizeable caves to check out in the Middle and East Tennessee areas?...

Thanks!
mtn
New Poster

Re: Caves of Middle & East Tennessee

Postby mgmills » Dec 18, 2005 5:26 pm

mtn wrote:First time posting...Any suggestions on good sizeable caves to check out in the Middle and East Tennessee areas?...

Thanks!

Hello mtn :grin:

We cavers are a bit protective about our caves. Your profile gives very little information about who you are. Have you been caving before?

Generally cavers like to get to know someone before they give out information about caves. One way we get to know people is through grottos. The following link will take you to grottos in the state of Tennessee and surrounding areas - http://www.caves.org/io/iolookup.php?state=TN

To address your original question. . . I don't know much about East Tennessee caves but I know there are several large ones in Middle Tennessee.

Addendum - In re-reading my post I may have come across as seeming to not offer help. What I was suggesting is that if you live in the area you might contact a local grotto and get to know some cavers.

If you are a caver from somewhere else (and an NSS memeber) check you members manual for cavers in TN. The 2005 members manual is organized by states.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 5, 2006 6:05 pm

Where do you live, mtn? I can probably direct you towards some cavers in East TN if you are close enough. I can in E TN a lot and can tell you there are bigger caves in middle TN. But E TN has some great caves too.

As you may have figured out already, you probably won't find anyone that will just tell you where caves are. It's much easier to get someone to show you where the caves are. And that means getting in touch with people that know where the caves are. The easiest place to do that is at a grotto meeting.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby CKB69 » Feb 5, 2006 9:28 pm

:waving:
First ,where are you located?
Check with your local grotto,they are usually the best source of info.
http://caves.org/io/iolookup.php?state=TN

They will be able to offer advice/training,if this is a new sport to you.
Happy caving!
Slide. Slide on the ice...
CKB69
Frequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 6, 2006 12:19 am

Oops.... Delete! Posted under the wrong topic. :badpc:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum