cave camping

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: cave camping

Postby shibumi » May 16, 2008 9:57 am

Longest I've spent was 5 days in Lech. I brought all foods that didn't need to be cooked, and I admit that by the
last evening I was staring hungrily at Stan's hot food, and he was staring hungrily at my remaining chocolate bars
(we all had plenty of food left, but I was tired of mine and he was tired of his...). John, being a vegan, I have no
idea what he was eating...

Camping in Lech is *easy*. It's warm, the humidity isn't as noticeable as when you are camping in colder
caves and everything gets cold and clammy. It's not much different that hiking outdoors on rough terrain since you don't have to drag your pack for thousands of feet. I've camped several days in Kentucky caves and it took a lot
more work, and hot food was more appreciated. I probably burned twice as many calories/day in KY than in Lech.

I have been run over in the middle of the night when we camped in the middle of a packrat trail. No biggy once we figured out what it was, moved over a little, and hung our food and water. I agree with the others who discuss impact, camping in a cave has much more impact than simply traveling. On longer trips you have to weigh the impact of multiple trips into the cave to get the same work done vs the impact of camping, but fewer trips in and out. Camping should not be done recreationally, except maybe in very heavily traveled caves, or commercial caves.

I have never felt the need to exit the cave once the time was up, even after 5 days I would have been happy to spend more time in the cave as long as we were doing stuff. I dunno about 18 days, SG has that one on me!
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » May 16, 2008 10:00 am

Phil Winkler wrote:We camped overnight in Climax one time back by the the Barrel Room I think. This was a long time ago, too.

At one point Kenny (I think) got up to walk a short distance to take a leak and got lost trying to find his way back since he didn't have a light. He didn't dare call out for help knowing we'd laugh him out of the cave. It took him almost 2 hours to feel his way back. He had banged into walls and everything. :laughing:

Yeah, one time I went on a water run to collect a few liters to bring back to basecamp. There were only one or two people in camp at the time. I dropped my carbide lamp in the breakdown and it went out. I did have a tiny light on cord around my neck (or something), but I decided to see if I could find the carbide lamp by feel. Nope! How embarassing if I couldn't find my way back to camp. Yeah, yeah, it's one thing to have 3 sources of light, but they do you no good if you don't have them with you when you need them!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Phil Winkler » May 16, 2008 10:08 am

And let's not forget this tale of camping from last year:
http://forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4366&p=41284&hilit=holloch#p41284
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Mudduck » May 16, 2008 2:34 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:And let's not forget this tale of camping from last year:
http://forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4366&p=41284&hilit=holloch#p41284

That officially is the funniest story I've yet heard :rofl: :clap: :laughing:
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby Lava » May 20, 2008 11:23 pm

I've done 6, 7 & 8 days at a time in Lech. I've also spent the night in Cumberland Caverns, TN, and Golondrinas in Mexico. All experiences were excellent. Lech is great - nice and comfortable. Cumberland Caverns was cold, but okay for a night. Golondrinas was amazing as it was during a thunderstorm - there was a column of rain falling down the center of the pit (but we were camped far out of it) and every time there was lightning, the entrance hole waaaay up there lit up and illuminated the rain column.

Having done that stuff, I would think that a multi-day trip into a cave any colder than 60F would be miserable without some serious excessive gear. I don't know how the guys in Europe make it through their expeditions.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby Spike » May 21, 2008 1:29 pm

I've done 2 nights in Carroll Cave MO. It was in a camp in Upper Thunder River at the Round Room. Not the best camp in the world but comfy enough with the right gear. Now camping in Lower Thunder is a bit rougher. All gear gets floated in dry bags with cavers swimming in wet suits down to the campsite. I really can't imagine getting in the morning and putting on a 57 Degree F muddy wetsuit to get the day started and then mucking farther into the cave to start mapping. Pretty gnarly caving. You can see some pictures of Dan, Bob, and Amber after spending a week in the cave at

http://www.carrollcave.org/survey.htm

Spike
Spike
Prolific Poster

Postby Keith K » May 21, 2008 4:38 pm

I have camped in The Barn at Glenwood Caverns also. It was eerily quite but I had a great night sleep. It is very interesting waking up in total darkness and searching around for your watch and light. The last of the conversation before going to sleep turn toward the question of what would you do if screams were heard coming from deeper in the cave and you knew no one else was supposed to be in there?? Try to fall asleep right after that question is asked.
Keith K
Occasional Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » May 21, 2008 5:51 pm

Lava wrote:I don't know how the guys in Europe make it through their expeditions.

No lie!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby tcreim » May 22, 2008 5:10 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:
Phil Winkler wrote:We camped overnight in Climax one time back by the the Barrel Room I think. This was a long time ago, too.

At one point Kenny (I think) got up to walk a short distance to take a leak and got lost trying to find his way back since he didn't have a light. He didn't dare call out for help knowing we'd laugh him out of the cave. It took him almost 2 hours to feel his way back. He had banged into walls and everything. :laughing:

Yeah, one time I went on a water run to collect a few liters to bring back to basecamp. There were only one or two people in camp at the time. I dropped my carbide lamp in the breakdown and it went out. I did have a tiny light on cord around my neck (or something), but I decided to see if I could find the carbide lamp by feel. Nope! How embarassing if I couldn't find my way back to camp. Yeah, yeah, it's one thing to have 3 sources of light, but they do you no good if you don't have them with you when you need them!

How embarrassing! :clap: :laughing: Yup, under those circumstances I'd rather work two hours to find my way back then make that pitiful call for help too. He was probably less than 30ft away the whole time.

Oh Barb....it's good to know that you are just vulnerable as the rest of us. Thanks for the story. BTW the banana becomes a refreshing, exotic fruit when I'm underground. I love that banana guard!
tcreim
Occasional Poster

Postby GCWVCaver » Dec 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Typically cave camping is neccasary when the time or effort required to reach the destination is to much without sleeping/camping. If i seen somone carrying a tent into a cave, getting up without a light, or asking about buildiing a fire, I would ensure that they leave and seek out training from someone who could explain to them what caving is all about. This is why there are so many rescues in my area. on the last rescue the lost spelunkers were found with machetes and flares, and obviously had no business being in there in first place.
GCWVCaver
New Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum