claustrophobia and caving

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: claustrophobia and caving

Postby caveflower » Apr 7, 2008 2:44 pm

We have an understanding that if one of us does not want to do something, we do not make each other feel bad about it, period. It's not happened yet, but if it does, I would never dream of making her feel bad because I didn't get to see what was beyond some obstacle. That's just how we are - we do it together or not at all, and there is nothing else said about it.

Graveleye said just what I was thinking. That's exactly the way me and my husband are. I wish you lived closer to us I would take you with me. Everyone says I have a way with new cavers coaching them thur things that make them nervous. I guess its cause I've been there and know just how they feel. I just took my sons wife on her first cave trip ever and she's very claustrophobic. It was mostly a big cave with big rooms but there were some short and little tight spots. When ever she got a little panicky I would talk her calmly thur it. She did great! I would send the biggest one in the group thur the small spots first to show her that she could fit. I told her that she was ok and how to place her body in the tight spots. If you don't do it very much you don't know whats the best way to move your way thur things. A lot of cavers don't think about this just because they can do it they think you can do it, but if you havn't done much cavin you don't know.
I know you can do this and have fun with your husband the fact that you are different makes life exciting. Your quailtys of being a cautious caver and him a daredevil will help the both of you in being a great cavin couple.

I have one more Suggestion you and your husband go cavin just the two of you with maybe one more really close freind that is Sensitive to your probelm. That way if you chicken out on something you wont feel like your are ruining every bodys cave trip. Sometimes others push you into things not meaning any harm but will make you do things you don't really want to can make things worse. Make these trips just for you NO expectations NO we have to go this far No we have to go to this room or crawl just go and cave as much as you feel comfortalbe. After a few of these I bet it will get better.
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 7, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi, Sara,

I spent 20 years in the Army, mainly because I got to visit areas with great caves and they paid for the travel.

My wife at the time occasionally went into a cave, but mainly she enjoyed the people, traveling and camping aspect of it all. I've know people who started caving specifically to help them overcome their claustrophobia and it worked for many of them, too.

I think your goals are valid and that with all the guidance from the folks here as well as more and more experience your mind will become aware that there really isn't much danger or haunting involved. There are books on how to overcome this stuff, too. You've taken the biggest step already by recognizing it.

Hang in there!
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Sara » Apr 7, 2008 4:12 pm

Caveflower!! Guess what!!! You may be able to help me soon enough!!! My husband just applied with the police there in indiana!! No kidding...and we are selling our house in vegas to move back there! I may be in Chicago for awhile at first, but you know that is just a hop, skip and jump away!!! My husband is in the process of switching services, and is thinking about being part time mil and full time police... and he applied for indiana state police!
~Sara~
Courage is not the lack of fear. It is acting in spite of it.
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Postby Sara » Apr 7, 2008 4:16 pm

Phil
Thank you for helping to build my confidence... i think you are very right... i am getting so much good advice from everyone who has posted, and i am getting more and more excited about getting into another cave, hopefully with a better outlook on the situation!
~Sara~
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Postby Sara » Apr 7, 2008 4:21 pm

speleogen wrote:
Sara wrote:John,
the reflective tape sticks is a great idea... i bet i could get hubby to track some of that down... but i have to say that picture you have on here...wow... kinda scary to me! :yikes: that is a bit tight, no?

Well, notice that I haven't gone very far in . . . :big grin:
About a body's length of tight is more than enough for me.
John

John
See that whole body length being stuck thing, without being able to even a part of my body free i think i would have a panick attack right then and there!!!! :yikes: Gees, i even have to keep one leg out of the covers at night, because even covers are too confining! Drives hubby crazy when he wants to cuddle! lol
~Sara~
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Postby Sara » Apr 7, 2008 4:28 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote:Okey dokey Sara! What a coincidence, though...considering the names, the problems of caving, and definitely the timing. Of course, this other Sarah had an "h" on her name, so was wondering about the article. Stay :kewl:

Oh Ernie, trust me... i am very picky on the spelling of my name... ohh when people try to put an "h" on the end even people who know me... or even relatives sometimes, you better believe it im ready to ---> :boxing: LOL But hey, maybe some day i will have a good success story too... and a picture that is even more cute! LOL :woohoo:
~Sara~
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Postby caveflower » Apr 7, 2008 6:11 pm

OMG! That's great I hope he gets the job here in Indy. Me and my husband would love to take you cavin here there are lots of great caves that are not to bad. You just le me know when you get here I'll set up a fun trip that you'll love. Lots of cave pretties.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sara » Apr 7, 2008 6:19 pm

I will for sure let you know when we get there... i really hope he gets that job too... i would love to be back in the midwest!
~Sara~
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Postby Sara » Apr 7, 2008 10:38 pm

I have another thought here... many of the posters on this topic say that there are caves that have a lot of air flow in them, and water... are those more prominent in the east coast or west coast caves? Are the caves with more air flow usually bigger? These may be petty questions to experienced cavers, but I am curious to find out. Plus, many of you say to get a map of the cave I am heading into... do i have to go to an nss member to get such a map, or is there somewhere online i could get one?
~Sara~
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Postby caveflower » Apr 8, 2008 4:28 am

I'm probly not the one to answer this as I've only been in caves in IN,Ky,Tn,Al. But I think there are caves like this everywhere. Here in IN there are caves that have plenty of air flow and water. Sometimes to much water as we found this weekend after heavy rains. Having good air flow doesn't mean big cave sometimes the smallest wholes in the ground can have great air flow! About Getting the maps to Caves the best place to get those is to find your local Grotto. they Will help guide you to the caves that will suit your needs and help you get the maps to those caves. Plus its a great place to meet other cavers with kinda the same problem of yours. You'll be suprised how many people are claustrophobic and join grottos just to get over their fears.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 8, 2008 4:50 am

Sara wrote:I have another thought here... many of the posters on this topic say that there are caves that have a lot of air flow in them, and water... are those more prominent in the east coast or west coast caves? Are the caves with more air flow usually bigger?

Certainly, western caves tend to be drier. If there's not a lot of rain, then there's not a lot of water in the caves, generally speaking.

As far as airflow goes, it depends on the caves. Smallish caves can have strong airflow if they're is a chimney effect between two entrances. Lechuguilla is a humongous cave in NM and it has a phenomenal draft going through the entrance (now blocked with an airlock).

It all depends, but not on the east/west divide. A small cave with only one entrance will probably have less air movement.

Hey! Can you bring one of those personal fans with you? One of the ones that runs on batteries? They wouldn't be something I'd want to lug in a cave, but if it's not too tough/long of a trip, and to get you started, you could have it "just in case" things get a little tense.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 8, 2008 10:40 am

:off topic:

And, Sara, before you leave Vegas for Indiana if you haven't tried a Capriotti's Sub sandwich or Cheesesteak you better hurry as there aren't any in Indiana. There are several shops around Vegas. The original one is on Sahara just north of the Strip. These sandwich shops were started in Delaware in 1976 or so. The food is to die for.....

Or have you tried them?
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Sara » Apr 8, 2008 12:32 pm

Phil,
you are too funny! LOL But yes i have been there and yum yum! LOL Actually there is one about 3 blocks from my house. But you know what.... being a Chicago girl from birth, i am really craving an all beef Vienna beef hot dog! Or Portillos! I know for a fact they sell Vienna beef at some race tracks in Indiana though! lol Anyone know where the closest Margeritaville is in the IL,IN area??? Because I will miss that for sure! :toast:
~Sara~
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Postby Sara » Apr 8, 2008 12:38 pm

Caveflower...i might just be getting a hold of you for some maps!! Hehe.. gees i hope this house sells fast, i am all excited that you would be willing to work with me to overcome my fear... i might hold you to it if you are still okay with it... :waving:

Squirrel girl...the fan idea might just work when i am starting off... i will probably need a lot of batteries though lol!
~Sara~
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

claustrophobia and caving

Postby Ernie Coffman » Apr 8, 2008 12:59 pm

Like Phil wrote, before you leave Lost Wages, make sure you go caving with Rick Bowersox and his wife...and kids, for they're a great group of people and they might just have the know how to get you to understand this claustrophia thing. :banana_yay:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum