claustrophobia and caving

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: claustrophobia and caving

Postby YuccaPatrol » Apr 10, 2008 3:34 pm

Although I have no data to quote you, the majority of people I've read about being rescued from caves were inexperienced and ill-equipped: idiots whose dim flashlights were brighter than they were.

If you go on a trip led by an experienced caver who knows the cave and follows good safety practices, the biggest danger you'll face all day will be on the roads to and from the cave.

When I started caving, I sought out a local grotto (Huntsville) which has regularly scheduled horizontal trips. I felt safe knowing that I was in a group of experienced cavers who were familiar with the cave and knew how to get back out. On these trips, nobody is ever pressured to do anything they are not comfortable with (although they may be encouraged to try something they might not think they could do, but never pressured).

Of course, anyone could sprain an ankle or suffer a similar injury, but if you are with an experienced group, they will make sure you get our safely.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby graveleye » Apr 10, 2008 3:37 pm

now that's opening up a whole new can of worms!! There are so many reasons for cave related injuries, but ones that crops up over and over is just due to negligence, inexperience, poor technique etc...

Truth is, you are more likely to get hurt on your way to the cave than you are in the cave if you are conscientious and properly equipped.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Sara » Apr 10, 2008 3:51 pm

Well it is good to know that as long as one sticks to a group that they will most likely get home safe... I guess I worry too, because all the time you hear of people who have to do pretty nasty things to save their own lives, but in the next thought, they had to do those things because they were alone... Saftey in numbers I guess... what would be cosidered the best number of people to go on a trip? I guess as long as there is more than 1, but is there a number that most groups try to get when they go?
~Sara~
Courage is not the lack of fear. It is acting in spite of it.
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Postby caveflower » Apr 10, 2008 4:57 pm

You should cave with at lease 4 people. That way if some one does get hurt. There is someone to stay with the injured person and 2 to go get help. That way no one is ever alone. That being said the chances of you getting hurt in a cave is very very small. Less than being kill in plane crash or car crash or slipping in the bath tub. More people died from accidents in their own home than in 10 years of cavin deaths maybe 20 years.
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby Caver1402 » Apr 23, 2008 11:55 am

Yay for the Midwest! Sara ... if I might ask, what part of Chicago are you from? From the city itself?? I live in the suburbs and typically go caving in KY, IN, and MO. Glad to hear you're heading to Indiana -- you'll be a bit closer than me to all those glorious caves! :big grin:
Laura J. Lexander
NSS #52727 / Affiliated with the WCG, NNG, and IKC
CRF Eastern Operations Personnel Officer
http://lexanderfamily.com - Updated 07/28/09
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Laura J. Lexander
NSS #: 52727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

Postby Sara » Apr 23, 2008 2:31 pm

Caver1402... I grew up in Bloomingdale, just off Lake St... where are you from??? It is nice to see others from the area on here! I cant wait to get back there... you have no idea!! LOL I guess i am just not cut out for the "wild west" and yes it is a bit crazy our here, but anyone who watches CNN would know that LOL About the caving back there.... it sounds amazing!!! I know my hubby is sure wanting to move out there, just for that reason!
~Sara~
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Apr 23, 2008 3:38 pm

There is a great grotto in Bloomington, called the Near Normal Grotto! I am, however, actually from Lake Zurich. It's a suburb north north west of Chicago. :grin: Maybe one day we'll all meet! I'm actually in the opposite position that you are ... I am the caver and my husband is not. I wish he wanted to give it a go, like you do, but alas, it's not something that interests him. It's okay though, because he does enjoy camping and other outdoors stuff.
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sara » Apr 23, 2008 4:20 pm

Bloomingdale is actually in the northwest suburbs too! Just not that far north... closer to Roselle and Shaumburg, But yeah, we are thinking the Bloomington area or Indianapolis... I think my husband is actually leaning toward Indiana, which is still good, because Chicago is not really that far away... see out here in Vegas, to get to another city/state or even good caving you are looking at an all day drive... But yeah... i am really looking forward to coming home... and to Portillos! Oh and the Blackhawks too!!! LOL
~Sara~
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Apr 24, 2008 8:00 am

Whoops, my bad ... you said Bloomingdale, not Bloomington! Two very different locations, ha ha. So yeah, you really are familiar with my area then. I'm in Streamwood now, which is just north of Bloomingdale. I know what it's like to have to drive all day to go caving ... in these here parts tis what you gotta do. :woohoo: But if you guys settle in south of here in Indiana or even Bloomington, you'll be much better off! Portillos is yum, but unfortunately we get all the Sonic commercials, too, but NO Sonics. For those you gotta drive almost to St. Louis!
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sara » Apr 27, 2008 12:49 am

LOL yeah there is just about one on every corner here, even in Walmart... I am not that crazy about sonic though, I would much rather have a chili dog from Portillos! LOL
~Sara~
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Apr 28, 2008 8:18 am

Now that we're off on a tangent ... I agree Portillo's food is better. It's Sonic's shakes that I like! LoL, but consuming all of that good stuff isn't good for the caving hips ... :big grin:
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Apr 28, 2008 8:52 am

Caver1402 wrote:Now that we're off on a tangent ... I agree Portillo's food is better. It's Sonic's shakes that I like! LoL, but consuming all of that good stuff isn't good for the caving hips ... :big grin:

Nah, it basically means to exercise more. :big grin:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Caver1402 » Apr 28, 2008 10:32 am

Ha ha, very true! And the main key is moderation! :clap: :big grin:
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sara » Apr 28, 2008 6:59 pm

Oh yes... it is all about the portions!! LOL Not to mention that I am S.O.L. when it comes to hips anyway! LOL My waist could be tiny... but the hips well... not much I can do in that situation! :laughing:
~Sara~
Mark Twain
Sara
Frequent Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum