Journey in to amazing caves

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Journey in to amazing caves

Postby jmo » Dec 4, 2005 4:19 am

I finally just rented “Journey in to amazing cavesâ€
Life is just one good thing after another
NSS 56887
jmo
Frequent Poster

Postby Floyd Collins » Dec 4, 2005 12:12 pm

Large format motion pictures such as "Caves" are phenomenally expensive to produce and exhibit, and so are generally limited to 30-45 minutes in length. This allows theaters to schedule showings every hour, bringing in additional patrons.

Many large format films, such as James Cameron's recent "Aliens of the Deep" are later expanded in their DVD release, adding additional material that was cut from the theatrical release.

Though DVD for "Caves" does not include an expanded version, it does include an excellent documentary about the filming of the picture. For cavers, this is a much more interesting and entertaining program. Knowing former Colorado Grotto chair Dr. Hazel Barton, the "making of" documentary also is a much better representation of the two featured "caver scientists."

Perhaps someday Hazel and Nancy will get together and write a book about their experiences while filming (in addition to the two companion National Geographic books).
Richard Rhinehart
Western American Caver
Denver, Colorado
Floyd Collins
Occasional Poster

Re: Journey in to amazing caves

Postby itabot » Dec 9, 2005 10:23 pm

jmo wrote:Since here in Colorado, the caving season is pretty much over for now, it made me excited for the upcoming season.

Yep! Its over! No one can go caving untill the snow melts! Dont even try! There's snow out there and its deep. So stay home, keep warm and wait untill spring. Nothing to see in the winter time. Yep, caves are covered up. All of them. You cant get to any. Dont even try!

:caving: :caving::caving::caving::caving::caving::caving::caving::caving:
itabot
Frequent Poster

Re: Journey in to amazing caves

Postby jmo » Dec 11, 2005 3:02 am

itabot wrote:
jmo wrote:Since here in Colorado, the caving season is pretty much over for now, it made me excited for the upcoming season.

Yep! Its over! No one can go caving untill the snow melts! Dont even try! There's snow out there and its deep. So stay home, keep warm and wait untill spring. Nothing to see in the winter time. Yep, caves are covered up. All of them. You cant get to any. Dont even try!

:caving: :caving::caving::caving::caving::caving::caving::caving::caving:

Matt - I have to go caving soon! We should make a winter trip to Fulford! Would you be interested?
Life is just one good thing after another
NSS 56887
jmo
Frequent Poster

Postby itabot » Dec 11, 2005 10:01 am

Fulford is such a trashed cave. Last time I went there, I promised myself I wouldnt go back. Everything is so polished and slick from the thousands of visitors each year, there's trash everywhere, and it smells like a toilet. We didnt even finish our trip we were so disgusted.

But yeah! We should go soon. Lets go back to Buffalo Cave! R U up for it?
itabot
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan Sullivan » Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am

Williams Canyon is always a winter option. :wink:
Dan Sullivan

Postby itabot » Dec 11, 2005 11:39 am

Dan Sullivan wrote:Williams Canyon is always a winter option. :wink:

I was going to put that! I forgot!

Justin, If you havent had a chance to check out Williams Canyon yet, you have to go. The caves are a lot warmer there, compared to the Flat Tops, and there are so many new passages just waiting to be found by you! All you have to do is dig. There are a lot of projects going on down there and they certainly need help! Even in the winter.
:off topic:
itabot
Frequent Poster

Winter caving

Postby Vader » Dec 11, 2005 12:11 pm

Williams’s canyon is an excellent option, but there are lots of others to.

Hard rock caving around the Front Range. Hurricane, Fault and Palmer Lake ice cave just to name a few.

There is plenty of surface caving to be done in the lower elevations around Glenwood Springs, plus you have several smaller holes in the canyon just incase you strike out.

If you can SCUBA dive, it would be worth going out to 20- Pound tick. You can get there without much trouble, most times of the year.

It sounds like Matt has been finding many Conglomerate caves out on the Western slope. I am sure he would be willing to meet up with you and show you some. There is always Anvil points or Grand Meeander Cave. Although it's more of just a big shelter, Grand Meeander is very impressive.

There are lots of options out there. It just depends how bad you want to go Caving.
Vader
Frequent Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jan 6, 2006 5:32 pm

Definitely strayed off topic guys.

I saw the DVD released and was saddened to note that it is not captioned or subtitled... Oh well.
I was privaledged to be present during one Grotto meeting where H gave a live q & a on the behind the scenes look at the film, complete with her personal slides. T'was cool.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

back on original subject....journey to amazing cave entrance

Postby stashyboy » Jan 8, 2006 10:47 am

There *is* a companion book for the movie by Michael Ray Taylor that is a large format coffee table book with wonderful images. While it is geared toward a general audience, cavers will still find it interesting. Several small essays by others including the principles in the film add different perspectives. My brother received it as an x-mas gift so we both read it while at the usual relatives get-together.
stashyboy
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum