National Cave & Karst Research Institute Job Announcemen

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

National Cave & Karst Research Institute Job Announcemen

Postby Ronal Kerbo » Nov 16, 2005 10:30 am

I'm not sure if this is the correct area, but wanted to post the job announcement for the National Cave & Karst Research Institute Director:

New Mexico Tech has posted the announcement for the NCKRI Director position - opened "until filled". This is a key step in shifting NCKRI management to NMT. The plan is to see what we have in about a month - a selection committee from the NCKRI Board (including NPS) will evaluate and recommend top candidates to the NMT President. The text of the is below, and the direct link is http://externalweb.nmt.edu/hr/jobs/Director.htm

POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
TITLE DIRECTOR DEPT Research &Economic Development/CAVE & KARST

REGULAR X FULL TIME X

STARTING RATE or SALARY RANGE Negotiable

JOB DUTIES: The Director will serve as manager and chief executive officer of the Cave & Karst Research Institute. The Director will comply with and advance the purposes of the National Cave & Karst Research Institute (NCKRI) Act of 1998 and will build the institute to further the science of speleology; centralize and standardize speleological information; foster interdisciplinary cooperation in cave and karst research programs; promote public education; promote national and international cooperation in protecting the environment for the benefit of cave and karst landforms, and promote and develop environmentally sound and substantial resource management practices. The Director will create an agenda encompassing research, education, and information management initiatives based on strategic vision developed in coordination with the Board of Directors and with other appropriate advisory boards. Together with the Board of Directors, the Director will develop a staffing plan that integrates the available professional expertise and resources of the organization. Responsible for supervising the NCKRI staff located in Carlsbad, the Director will also work indirectly with the staff of NMT. Other duties will include responsibility for the daily management of the Institute including fiscal accountability and ensuring the sustainability of the organization, and satisfying the strategic initiatives of the Board of Directors. The Director will actively communicate NCKRI activities to the Board and other interested parties. As the interface of NCKRI with the public, the Director is responsible for fundraising activities, and for promoting, identifying and nurturing relationships within the C&K community and representing the Institute in public venues. This position will be reviewed annually for adequacy of performance, and continuation of position beyond initial appointment is contingent upon availability of funds.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Earned doctorate degree coupled with (3) years experience managing substantial scientific projects required OR other postgraduate level education coupled with significant (5 years) experience managing substantial scientific projects. Transcripts are required. Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills are essential. Experience with professional management tools and procedures required. Experience with the domestic cave and karst community and the interpersonal cave and karst community strongly desired. Successful track record in obtaining funds and experience in fundraising is highly desirable.
Apply to: New Mexico Tech, Human Resources 801 Leroy Pl. Wells Hall Box 154, Socorro, NM 87801-4796
For information on job listings Salina A. Lopez phone: 505-835-6962, fax: 505-835-5337
Ronal Kerbo
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 11539

Postby Phil Winkler » Nov 16, 2005 11:19 am

Ron,

Is this the position held by Louise Hose?
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 16, 2005 11:25 am

In case Ron isn't actively reading this thread after posting, I think there's bureaucratic thing going on. I haven't been following NCKRI closely, but they transfered it from the NPS to New Mexico Tech. And somehow in the whole deal, they're making the position such that they have to re-advertise the Director position. Don't pin me down on this, but I think Louise Hose is fully welcome to re-apply.

I really can't even remember where I heard about this. I think from several sources. But if I'm not mistaken, it's a bureaucratic thing. The drift I got, was that Dr. Hose is neither a shoe-in, nor is it a situation where she should consider it a lay-off. It's just the way things are with the position, not a reflection on her.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

NCKRI Job

Postby Ronal Kerbo » Nov 16, 2005 12:06 pm

Yes this is the job currently occupied by Dr. Hose, as per the announcement it is a transition from a Federal job to non-federal position, but it is a legitimate announcement and the NCKRI director will be chosen by New Mexico Tech not by the NPS. I would encourage anyone who deems that they are qualified to apply for the job.
ron
Ronal Kerbo
Infrequent Poster

Postby Floyd Collins » Nov 17, 2005 10:49 am

I'm curious as to why NCKRI is moving administration from the National Park Service to New Mexico Tech University. This cave and karst studies institute was authorized by an Act of the Congress, afterall, and funded in part by the people of the United States. New Mexico Tech is a state university that presumably is not funded directly by the federal government.

Is NCKRI still a part of the NPS? Or, is it simply a New Mexico academic institution? Given that Louise's position is now advertised for applicants, it appears that the NPS has nothing to do with the new administrative arrangement.
Richard Rhinehart
Western American Caver
Denver, Colorado
Floyd Collins
Occasional Poster

NCKRI Job

Postby Ronal Kerbo » Nov 17, 2005 10:58 am

Rick & Others
The NPS will retain oversight of the NCKRI and will be on the board.
ron
Ronal Kerbo
Infrequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Nov 17, 2005 7:52 pm

I hoped there'd be some info on this on the NCKRI Web site http://www2.nature.nps.gov/nckri/index.htm however the site has not been updated since January 2005. :question:

The best info we have now is from our NCKRI Liaison, Pat Seiser. Read her July 2005 Report http://www.caves.org/nss-business/repor ... %20LIAISON and November 2005 http://www.caves.org/nss-business/repor ... %20Liaison

Ron, do you know where there might be more information for folks who are interested? Or is this about the sum of it?

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Floyd Collins » Nov 18, 2005 10:43 am

Thank you for the additional information. If Louise decides to pursue the new position with Tech, I'm sure many Society cavers and speleologists will gladly support her efforts.

I'm a little confused as to the reason why NCKRI needs to move out from the umbrella of the NPS and become its own 503c3 organization. Are there any other federal government agencies that have followed the same path?

I believe this change with NCKRI is a topic of importance for cavers and speleologists within our Society. It is in the best interest of our Society and our members to help guide this organization to pursue and fund legitimate scientific studies of caves and karst.
Richard Rhinehart
Western American Caver
Denver, Colorado
Floyd Collins
Occasional Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 18, 2005 11:01 am

The rumor I heard was that it was Dr. Hose who instigated the move from NPS to NMT. What I had heard was that she felt that NCKRI would be more legitimate associated with a university and university reserach than if it were under the umbrella of the "Park" Service. I don't know if that's true, but whoever it was that told me that was closer to the issue than me, and at the time, I believed it. If someone can correct or corroborate me, they are more than welcome to make sure I haven't put forth bad info.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

NCKRI

Postby Ronal Kerbo » Nov 20, 2005 10:21 pm

As I have my own cave and karst program within the NPS and am not directly involved with the NCKRI I would recommend addressing questions regarding the NCKRI to Dr. Hose. I posted the job announcement as per a request within the Service to distribute the announcement "widely".
Cheers,
ron kerbo
Ronal Kerbo
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum