Organized Event Behavior Revisited...... "Here's your s

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Organized Event Behavior Revisited...... "Here's your s

Postby TinY » Oct 25, 2005 10:36 pm

I was pre registered for the Fall VAR but could not attend due to work commitments. Sorry I missed another great caving event and sorry I missed the party. If I would have been there I would have been in the thick of it, especially the party.
Now some thoughts for those who want to point fingers and complain from behind some anonymous screen name about things.
Those who are normally part of such evenings but chose to jump on the band wagon and complain because it seems politically correct at the time please read twice. (You and you know who you are.)
To those who are kind enough to let me know when my noise is disturbing you face to face so I can take it else where and you can sleep, thank you for being a caver. You have my respect and consideration brecasuse you are not anonymous.

If you camp beside the bonfire you will get little sleep because cavers hang out there and party!

If you camp beside the pavilion you will get little sleep because cavers hang out there and party!

If you camp beside the band or DJ setup you will get little sleep because cavers hang out there and party!

If you camp beside the refreshments you will get little sleep because cavers hang out there and party!

If you camp beside the all night registration area you will get little sleep because cavers hang out there trying to get to the party.

If you camp beside my camp you will get little sleep because cavers hang out there and party after the party.

If you camp beside the porta johns you will get little sleep because the doors will slam all night long from caver visits after the party.

Event planners take note, my hat is off to the Maine Convention Planning Committee. They actually designated the noisy section of their event campground to be the same area around all of the sites mentioned above. My camp was directly across from all of these because I could read the sign.
If you are tired go to sleep!
"TinY"
If your FEET are beyond your last STATION..... YOU ARE SCOOPING! :-( See ya on station and Looooooog Rope Soon!
TinY
Infrequent Poster

Name: Mike Manke
NSS #: 46894RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh Grotto

Postby George Dasher » Oct 26, 2005 10:25 am

I wasn't at the Fall VAR either, but I was at the Spring VAR.

The same situation occured there, and I wasn't camped anywhere near the party. The music was just plain TOOO TOOO loud. Fortunately, it was also short lived.

I know cavers like to party, but there has to be a compromise. My nephew, who is 20, told me that many people packed up and left the Fall VAR in the middle of the night because of the loud music.

Sorry, Tiny, but my gut feeling is that, at this event, the people complaining have the right of it. The volume needs to be turned down.

And you forgot to mention that, if you camp next to the outhouses, there may be a bad smell. That's my chief reason for not camping near them. And I camped near you at the MI Convention--your campsite was very quiet. Guess you were in the hot tub.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby caverbob » Oct 28, 2005 10:07 am

The Music does not have to be played so load that no where in the campgroung can it not be heard. The volumn can go way down and people can still dance to it and it would be nice if people were trying to talk about lets say caving at a caving event that they can hear each other talk. For my thought a good VAR and / or MAR can be had without the music.
Bob Gulden NSS#13188LF
NSS Long & Deep Cave Lists:
http://www.caverbob.com/home.htm
caverbob
Occasional Poster

Postby Plethodon » Oct 28, 2005 3:33 pm

caverbob wrote: The volumn can go way down and people can still dance to it and it would be nice if people were trying to talk about lets say caving at a caving event that they can hear each other talk.

Dear Bob
I can agree to this. Music is lovely only Americans think more is better even so loud musice become how you say, shattering to the head? Cavers can listen to each other but is good when no person needs to shout to hear if person is close enought to touch other person?

(Tnx to all. Ame learning English better with typing here. )
Plethodon
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 28, 2005 7:38 pm

I'm with you guys on this one :grin:

Music doesn't have to played at an ear-splitting, head-pounding volume to be enjoyed. Likewise, there's a time and place for loud caver discussions and yahooing - but it's not in the wee hours next to people who are trying to sleep! :roll: Granted, common sense dictates some areas at caving events are going to be noisier than others - and you should avoid them if sleep is a priority for you.

In my mind caving is a social activity - both above and below ground. I do enjoy a few drinks and some good hearty discussions at caving events, often lasting into the wee hours. I try not to socialize near where others are sleeping. If I do disturb someone, I hope they'll politely ask me to be quiet or move away, rather than biting their lip and harboring resentment. I certainly speak up when others disturb me, usually politely and most often with favorable results. :wink:

Sorry to stereotype, but a caver gathering is not a biker gathering - or a teenage beach party, for that matter. Even though some very respectable individuals are both cavers and bikers (or cavers and teenagers), the general mood at caver gatherings should suit most cavers. For this reason, OTR (which many consider the ultimate caving party) requires attendees to be members. To become a member, you are sponsored by another member - who is basically testifying that you are a "legitimate" caver. In theory, anyway. :lol:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

And you are?

Postby Scott Shaw » Oct 30, 2005 8:43 pm

Now some thoughts for those who want to point fingers and complain from behind some anonymous screen name about things.

Talk about anonymous posters while you sign as "TinY".
Alabama Cave Survey - Cave Files Director (Send me your new caves and updates)
Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Re: And you are?

Postby Mike Hood » Oct 31, 2005 5:53 am

Scott Shaw wrote:

Click on TinY's profile at the bottom. He gives his full name.
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Re: And you are?

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 31, 2005 7:18 am

Scott Shaw wrote:

Yeah, I wondered when that was posted, if someone would think that. But TinY goes by TinY and has for the past few years I've known him. Kind of like all my mountain biking buddies know me as SG, and a lot of them wouldn't know whom you were talking about if you said, "Barbara."

He's published articles in the NSS News, though I can't remember if he used, "TinY." I'll bet he did, though he might have used his full name, too.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Sorry Mike/TinY

Postby Scott Shaw » Oct 31, 2005 8:18 am

My appologies. Should have looked further. :oops:
Alabama Cave Survey - Cave Files Director (Send me your new caves and updates)
Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Re: Sorry Mike/TinY

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 31, 2005 11:10 am

Scott Shaw wrote:My appologies. Should have looked further. :oops:
*I* don't think apologies are needed. If you didn't know him, it seemed to me, like someone might find it almost hypocritical. I'm just pointing out that that's just who he is. Personally, I think "TinY" is a weird name. Makes me want to configure it as "IronY" or "ZincY" or maybe even "MagnesiumY." But then I'm Squirrel Girl :whistle: How weird is that? :lol:
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Re: Sorry Mike/TinY

Postby Cindy Heazlit » Oct 31, 2005 11:41 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:Personally, I think "TinY" is a weird name. Makes me want to configure it as "IronY" or "ZincY" or maybe even "MagnesiumY." But then I'm Squirrel Girl :whistle: How weird is that? :lol:

If you knew how he got his name, you wouldn't think it weird.

TinY is a big guy. But somehow he makes it through those tight tiny SQeezES that pinch down and get big again. And he can make it through where smaller people can't.

Hence the name - totally appropriate when placed in context.
Cindy Heazlit
Frequent Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 31, 2005 3:13 pm

It wasn't that his name was "Tiny." It was that it was "TinY." When I read that, it looked like "Tin" "Y" to me. And I just wonder why it's TinY and not MolybdenumY? I asked him and there's some reason for that final capital Y. It wasn't a rousing good tale, but made some kind of sense. But I still can't help seeing "tin" in the spelling with the last Y being capitalized.

But it's his name and he can call himself anything he wants to, even Late For Dinner.

And I have a weird nickname, myself, so it's not like I have any ground to stand on making a point of it. But I can't help seeing what I do in it.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Caver1402 » Nov 13, 2005 7:52 pm

I know this isn't in regards to the topic at hand ... but I'm curious, Squirrel Girl ... how did you get your nickname? I myself don't really have one ... yet. :-\
Laura J. Lexander
NSS #52727 / Affiliated with the WCG, NNG, and IKC
CRF Eastern Operations Personnel Officer
http://lexanderfamily.com - Updated 07/28/09
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Laura J. Lexander
NSS #: 52727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Nov 13, 2005 9:01 pm

Isn't it all boiling down to just plain common courtesy?
Choosing a decent time to tone it all down (say 9:00 or 10:00 in the evening) is reasonable I think.
Yes you're there to have a good time and to party down with good folks you don't see that often but those good folk do have biological schedules attuned to their jobs and family life and thus making the adjustment to stay up is hard enough.
Either way... respect, is what it comes down to it. :grin:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 13, 2005 9:32 pm

Caver1402 wrote:I know this isn't in regards to the topic at hand ... but I'm curious, Squirrel Girl ... how did you get your nickname? I myself don't really have one ... yet. :-\
Well, when I was a little girl, about 5 years old, I fell through the ice. My mom was up near the house, and a squirrel kept bothering her. It kept bouncing up toward her, then back toward the lake, kinda like Lassie. And the squirrel wound up saving my life!

Not! Just kidding. The real story is not a real story at all, so I figured I better make up a better one. I just saw a story on squirrels in National Geographic and then started feeding them in my back yard. Then I learned a lot about them, and when I needed to pick a name for a website log on once, I chose Squirrel Girl which I'd heard once before, and the rest is history. My current avatar is a photo of my pet real live dead squirrel. Cave Wench stuffed it as her first taxidermy project. But that was a long time ago, and the feller is worse for the wear.

BTW, it's far better if you pick your own nickname than letting some ratty guy start using one on you that you don't like, and then have it stick!

:lol:
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum