Caverns of Sonora's Butterfly formation vandalized

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby epay34 » Dec 6, 2006 4:22 pm

It doesn't seem that the information for the DA's office is being widely circulated. If you want to send them something regarding your concern for this case, please contact

Laurie English
112th Dist Attys Office
907 Avenue D
Ozona, Tx
(325) 392-2025
Fax: (325) 392-8415

I want to thank you all for your concern. I was a guide for several years at COS, and this event has been heartbreaking for me. Each time I have spoken with the Mayfields, they have been very appreciative of the attention this is getting across the country. Keep it up! :boxing:
e
epay34
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Dec 6, 2006 4:51 pm

It might be possible to fashion a replacement wing from some acrylic material. Certainly there are enough pictures of the original to assist in that, but it would also require a visit or three, too.

I had forgotten the original name of the cave was Mayfield Cave, too.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Dec 7, 2006 12:17 am

Phil Winkler wrote:It might be possible to fashion a replacement wing from some acrylic material. Certainly there are enough pictures of the original to assist in that, but it would also require a visit or three, too.

I had forgotten the original name of the cave was Mayfield Cave, too.

<shudders> the very thought of it sends (not so good) chills down my spine but I guess if that is what has to be done then okay... still won't be the same... SIGH... those :bleep: :sad:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby bigalpha » Dec 7, 2006 11:25 am

Ralph E. Powers wrote:
Seems to me that now tours will have to double in costs to justify having TWO guides... one in the front and one in the rear of the group to keep an eye on those who "linger" and to see if any new damage has been done.

Two guides would be great. When I gave tours at Dunbar, sometimes I would have killed to have someone bringing up the rear. Are there any other things that can be done to combat idiots breaking stuff? Maybe changing the route, or posting the cave guide in front of formations when they are close to the route?

Unfortunately, people will always touch crap, no matter what you say, and they'll do it in front of you (had that happen too). I hope they find the bastards and flog 'em.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby epay34 » Dec 8, 2006 2:19 pm

http://www.caver.net/KLST%20News.mpg

The link above should start a download of a news report regarding the butterfly.

Also some people are falsely reporting that the piece has been found. Unfortunately this is not the case. Yet. But the investigation is beginning, and that is good news!
epay34
Infrequent Poster

Postby Teresa » Dec 8, 2006 4:49 pm

I (like millions of others) was in COS on the tour with the butterfly. The route did not pass close enough that someone could have 'casually' snapped off part of a wing. As I read the first article, there was a distraction of the guide, so that the vandalism could occur. Double guiding isn't generally necessary when you have a tour of 20 people or fewer...it is only in cases of 50 or more where you get strung out far enough to warrant a sweep. I often appointed a sweep from the tours I led-- and then watched them, as well. A guide can lead from the middle (on a paved walkway) keeping track of the front and behind as he/she walks along.

It would be interesting to learn just what the distraction was, and why the guide didn't notice the vandalism in progress.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

News Coverage Video of the Damage at Sonora

Postby Texascaver » Dec 9, 2006 1:28 pm

Here is a link to some video that has been uploaded to the web for those of you with broadband.

http://www.caver.net/KLST%20News.mpg (27 MB)
http://www.caver.net/KWES%20News.mpg (4 Mb)

Bill Bentley
Webmaster (Bill)
http://www.caver.net
Texascaver
New Poster

Postby DementedCaver » Dec 12, 2006 4:30 pm

Just reading the posts about the broken butterfly leave me with a sick feeling. This is something that I would have loved to have seen if I had been on a trip through Texas and now it appears that pictures is the best it may be from now until the end of time.
DementedCaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Dave Ruth
NSS #: 50212
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh Grotto

Postby kvgrits » Dec 13, 2006 3:55 pm

I just wanted to say now that the police dept. claims to be working on the case...lets keep the pressure on them. I spoke to the deputy in charge today and he said subpoena's have been sent out. I hope that the person(s) responsible are found and punished.
kvgrits
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jun 21, 2007 10:35 pm

Just wondering... has there been any new development in catching these guys or ... "nothing yet?" :sad:

Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby kvgrits » Jun 22, 2007 7:40 am

No, I haven't heard of any other things with the case.
kvgrits
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Jun 22, 2007 12:30 pm

kvgrits wrote:I just wanted to say now that the police dept. claims to be working on the case...lets keep the pressure on them. I spoke to the deputy in charge today and he said subpoena's have been sent out. I hope that the person(s) responsible are found and punished.

Subpoena's for what? Those are sent out for court hearings, etc, if they haven't caught anyone yet what are the subpoena's for? Or did they mean they are contacting people that were at the caverns that day and questioning them?
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby kvgrits » Jun 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Subpenoa for the credit card records for that day b/c it was believed that the person(s) paid by credit card
kvgrits
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jun 22, 2007 3:20 pm

kvgrits wrote:Subpoena's for the credit card records for that day b/c it was believed that the person(s) paid by credit card
Ok so now the question would be WHICH person. They can interview and ask everyone and the cc owner(s) can (and probably all ) will say "no, it wasn't me." It also doesn't account for the cc owner's friends whom they paid for. And likely they'll deny their friends/family did it as well.
So what now? How many other (show) caves have rare and fragile formations within an arm's or hand's reach? Should a motion activated camera be placed on these formations so that a culprit will be caught "red-handed"? Too bad one wasn't placed at the butterfly.
:sad: Too late now anyway and the morons may never get caught unless they confess to it.

Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Kel » Jun 23, 2007 8:31 am

As I understand it, the sheriff's office contacted the individual(s) by phone (moron) letting them know the results of the subpoena. This information was given me by someone very close to the case.
What are they going to say? "Sure, I have it and have kept the wing hydrated and safe. Go ahead and haul me to jail." I don't think so.
Barney Fife would have done a better job in the investigation. This may (and should) cost the sheriff his job at the next election. Key personnel have left the sheriff's office because of the bungled nature of the case.
The Caverns have initiated stricter guidelines for the guide crew for the protection of the formations, and with the new legislation regarding cave protection, are putting the fear of God into the members of the tour.
Kel Thomas
NSS 57559
Permian Basin Speleological Society
Kel
Infrequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum