Agates, Onyx and ancient cave questions...

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Aug 10, 2006 10:06 pm

hewhocaves wrote:green granite is apparantly possible - there's a place in Australia where oxidizing iron has lent granite a green color....

Do you know where in Australia? Just curious... :grin:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby hewhocaves » Aug 10, 2006 11:06 pm

http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/byteserve/mine ... ranite.pdf

i don't know where the place is. maybe you can figure it out from the .pdf file.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Aug 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Thanks, Padthaway in South Australia's South East Region. The Area also has a lot of limestone and nearby Naracoorte caves(World heritage listed, I think...) is where a lot of important fossil finds have been made of Giant Marsupials (Wombats, kangaroos koalas etc) I was around that area ~ 3 years ago didn't know about green granite though. I didn't think there would be much granite in that area to tell the truth :oops:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby bigalpha » Aug 11, 2006 3:09 pm

Teresa wrote:
bigalpha wrote:yes! shiney rocks! I'm in.

Teresa -- while you cannot definitively say that the coloring of a rock is from one element/cation -- can you say that it's most likely from a certain element/cation? Or maybe, from a higher concentration of element/cation than other impurities?

I think it would be more that there are 'typical colors'--except in the case of gemstones which are defined by their color--for example corundum by any other color is sapphire, red corundum is ruby, or amethyst--defined as purple quartz.

Colors can fool you though. Being a mean TA, I would give kids green fluorite and basalt with big pink phenocrysts for their tests. Not enough of those zingers to fail a student, of course, but one or two to humble the know-it-alls..

Now, if you ID a rock by a suite of characteristics--color+texture+hardness+any other weird characteristic you are much safer.

Our Mineralogoy professor did that to us!! It was horrible. There was like 3 samples of fluorite, but two of them looked like other stuff. It was crazy.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Aug 11, 2006 3:21 pm

there is some green and pink "granite" about in places like North Carolina. I have a few specimens of it. Called unakite I believe.

I live only a few minutes from Stone Mountain here is Georgia. No caves, but its still one cool monadnock. The back side is pink and the front side (with the carving) is granite-gray. I used to think the back side was pink because not as many people looked at it :laughing:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby graveleye » Aug 11, 2006 3:54 pm

oh by the way.. PM me your address if you want shiney rocks :-)

I'm not a stalker.. promise!!

:tonguecheek:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Teresa » Aug 11, 2006 7:38 pm

Unakite has granitic texture, but it's not. I know that stuff.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum