The Cavern--New DVD release

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

The Cavern--New DVD release

Postby cavescom » Jul 26, 2006 10:29 am

I just watched "The Cavern"(2005) http://tinyurl.com/ql5wy which is available at most of the DVD rental spots in the U.S.

"The Cavern" is supposedly set in Asia with a group of cavers(sort of) that sit around and talk about caving and the one they lost on an expedition in Peru and then progresses even worse from there.

The opening scene is a series of rapid flashes going off in the Rumble Room in Tennessee(there is a pic of that room at http://www.darklightimagery.net/RFC/RumbleRoom2.html )

On the DVD there also is a special real caving with real cavers with a jaunt through a Lava tube.

My ranking review in descending order is 1) The Descent 2) The Cave and 3) The Cavern

Mark Passerby, Caves.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Jul 26, 2006 3:15 pm

good lord... worse than "the descent" AND "the cave"? have we reached the point where the movie itself can rend space and time? LOL
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby wendy » Jul 26, 2006 3:16 pm

Maybe we should just make our own caving movie
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Sean Ryan » Jul 26, 2006 4:00 pm

Why is it just horror movies made in caves? How about a romantic comedy? Or a western?
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Jul 26, 2006 4:11 pm

Or a western?

As long as it is not "Broke Back Cave". :shock: :tonguecheek:
Last edited by Evan G on Jul 26, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Evan G » Jul 26, 2006 5:00 pm

Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Jul 26, 2006 10:11 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:Why is it just horror movies made in caves? How about a romantic comedy? Or a western?

in an organization with 80% men? lol.. odds are it would be "Brokeback Breakdown".
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Jul 27, 2006 12:37 pm

Um ... since when??

http://www.withinthecave.com/home.html

Synopsis

Some of the greatest mysteries are here on earth. But the darkest ones are within it. With the highest death rate of any sport known to man, spelunking is the most dangerous – and it is the setting of WITHIN.
Laura J. Lexander
NSS #52727 / Affiliated with the WCG, NNG, and IKC
CRF Eastern Operations Personnel Officer
http://lexanderfamily.com - Updated 07/28/09
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Laura J. Lexander
NSS #: 52727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

Postby Evan G » Jul 27, 2006 12:58 pm

I saw that too and just shook my head. I find driving more dangerous than caving.

Actually come to think about it:

spelunking is the most dangerous

also heard

here hold my beer & watch this!!

Maybe there is a correlation??? :question:
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 27, 2006 3:59 pm

Kver33 wrote:I saw that too and just shook my head. I find driving more dangerous than caving.

I uhh, recall reading somewhere that more cavers are killed driving to/from a cave than in the caves themselves. Sooo, you might be right about that. :grin:

Ya' gotta love the synopsis of the movie as provided by the official site...

Some of the greatest mysteries are here on earth. But the darkest ones are within it. With the highest death rate of any sport known to man, spelunking is the most dangerous – and it is the setting of WITHIN.

Kyzl Kum Desert, Central Asia – Eight explorers learn of a newly discovered cave system and set out on an expedition to document it. Once inside two of their guides are mysteriously killed, and when they try to escape, they find their way out has been inexplicably sealed shut. They’re trapped inside – and the only way to go, is deeper into the cave.

They embark on a fight for their lives, hunted by an unknown presence, and threatened by divisions from within their own ranks. Miles beneath the surface, surrounded by labyrinths of rock, sand, mud, and water, they must find a way to survive.

They charge away at a breakneck pace to a frightening and thoroughly startling conclusion.

Some places should never be explored.

But that last line... I... don't... think... so!
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby hewhocaves » Jul 27, 2006 4:44 pm

point one: it's true, spelunking is very dangerous. however caving is perfectly safe

point two: people ask me: "John", (they say) "why don't you go see movies anymore?"
I present exhibit 'ZZ' as to why I stay away from the theaters. (there's a lot of bad movies.) I've been accused of being stodgy, being to critical and reality oriented (there's something you don't get accused of every day) and being lame.
I prefer to think of it as having discriminating taste.

point three: we've got to encourage hollywood execs to find another hobby to make movies about. I think it's pretty certian that people aren't going to dive into a hole after seeing one of these movies, but they're lame and more or less insulting us collectively at this point.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 27, 2006 8:26 pm

hewhocaves wrote:
point three: we've got to encourage hollywood execs to find another hobby to make movies about. I think it's pretty certian that people aren't going to dive into a hole after seeing one of these movies, but they're lame and more or less insulting us collectively at this point.

Well as one who knows his ass from a hole in the ground... I think on one hand it just might keep people out of our beloved caves and thereby reducing; injury & rescues, damage, vandalism and so forth. :grin:

Wonder what happened to that guy who wanted to make movies about caves, about that one cave (in Utah) that was reportedly haunted. Ya'll remember that?
I can't find him ennymo'
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby graveleye » Jul 27, 2006 8:58 pm

...on the other hand, you dont want to scare off potential responsible cavers though,...

...but really - its Hollywood!!! They pay guys to think up movies that they think people want to see, and not necessarily to resemble reality. Its all in the name of entertainment. (and $$) Like poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby hewhocaves » Jul 27, 2006 10:15 pm

but I'm a people (well, clinically) and i don't want to see this movie. actually, most of these movies i don't want to see.

but I'll watch the Great Escape, War of the Worlds, Spider Man Field of Dreams and When Harry Met Sally ad nauseam.

I just think that in recent years the degeneration of Hollywood has festered to the point where even Nathaniel West would have to revise "Day of the Locust".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Locust
my only question is whether he would approve or roll over in his grave over it.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jul 28, 2006 8:06 am

hey I am the same way... I couldnt give a rats behind about some movies - mainly the mainstream ones. But give me some outrageous avant-gard movie and I am all over it. So I guess that I like movies most folks dont.

I've been in the entertainment business for a long time and I guess I have an aversion to the mainstream. What seems to happen is that the "art" of cinema is becoming lost more and more often while movie producers adhere to the "formula" of what makes a hit (music is the same way, but worse). I am usually overjoyed when I see some underdog make a hit movie that is different and unpredictable. What under-joys me is crumby remakes - which seems to be the norm these days. Alas, Hollywood is out of ideas I think, or have simply lost their creativity.

I havent seen the movie we are talking about, so I really have no place to talk. But I predict that you could take these characters, and apply them to any unusual situation and you would have the same movie, just a different setting, antagonist etc... BORING!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum