Stupid Question: "Pacific Cavity"

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Stupid Question: "Pacific Cavity"

Postby spearweasel » Jun 10, 2006 9:11 am

A parody website, which shall remain unnamed, included the following bit in a post about "things you should know".

Welcome to Hell
The largest subterranean cavern is believed to be the Pacific Cavity. Located almost two miles beneath the surface of the Pacific, this cavern system was detected by ground penetrating radar in 2000 and covers at least 48 square miles. Some scientists believe it was formed as an immense methane pocket vented into the ocean and that much of it remains dry.

Caveat: There is a 100% chance that whatever is living inside the Pacific Cavity is scary as sh*t. :yikes:

I've never heard of a "Pacific Cavity", and Google searches turned up nothing. There is a good possibility that the entire thing was made up, but the rest of the article includes a few scientifically valid points of interest (it mentions the odd fossils of the Burgess Shale formation), so I figured I'd at least ask those in the know.

Is there such a thing, or anything that could have been misinterpreted for this article? :question:
spearweasel

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jun 10, 2006 9:49 am

It it is on a parady website, it is made up. It's no wonder you can't find anything on it.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby hewhocaves » Jun 10, 2006 12:06 pm

I like pareodies... please send me the website name (or post it here). the only thing google turned up was an article on "earth expansion" which is psuedoscience bordering on antiscience.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby eyecave » Jun 16, 2006 11:51 pm

:woohoo: therereeeereisaaaazzzzzzzzz aaa pacifik cavity............yep.....sure are one, sure as s... yep it exists........

all the people in the pacific has a cavity within them with air that is, in toto, greater than the proposed huge expanse proposed in the article....... :oops:

it iz not a pairraahhhdee.....that we seeee........no...indeeeeeed....... :waving:
eyecave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: sewanee mountain grotto

Postby eyecave » Jun 16, 2006 11:58 pm

:shock: what you may have heard about was an asteroid hit in an ocean, the pacific, that generated this cavity....
eyecave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby eyecave » Jun 17, 2006 12:07 am

:flammable: .......the gas is astrogas...not methane......the composition of astrogas is unknown......therefore the creatures that live within the cavity, if they are not microbes or molds or such, they are probably scarey indeed :shock: .......
eyecave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum