caving log book

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby graveleye » Jun 19, 2006 10:14 am

Recent intries in my caving log:

6/3 - want to go caving, but cant find another person to go

6/9 - Grotto is going on cool caving trip. Can't go because of home repairs.

6/16 - Fathers Day with Dad, or go caving. Fathers Day with dad, or go caving... ahh well, try to get dad to go caving. Hang out with dad and don't go caving. At least I didnt get muddy.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby George Dasher » Jun 19, 2006 2:25 pm

Caving is deductable if you're doing scientific work or producing something for a non-profit organization--and for replacement gear. Business meetings and training sessions, like Bridge Day, also count.

And virtually all the caving groups (at least around here) are non-profits 501-c-3 organizations.

Trouble is, I don't cave enough any more, or owe enough interest on my house, to make it worth my while.

But I still keep the log.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby Pinoycaver » Jun 23, 2006 2:36 am

wendy wrote:
batrotter wrote:I keep a log book. It has the date, caves visited, location, weather, time, time entered and time left cave, total time in cave, pit depth, caver's names, equipment used and a description of the trip. I also keep a running tally of total hours undeground as well as total vertical feet on rope.

That sounds good, it will be hard to remmebr all of that from the last 4 years, so I will just have to make the more informational log entries starting this year. I am still trying to figure out the dates of all my past cave trips, luckily a lot of them are trip reported on grotto websites and in my photo album.

:exactly:

i also have that logbook, but not as detailed as of Mr. batrotter. I have separate logbook for my climbing and caving expeditions. and yes, indicating title of activity or event, number and kind of participants, their age range, has also a bit of info about them, weather, time entered and time go out, and etcetera that will be useful in case of emergency.

i also leave messages to somebody outside the target cave. i also keep my photos and articles in my laptop and some in the papers and internet news service.
"In the underground world, not everyone is who they seem to be..."
Pinoycaver
Infrequent Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum