Stuck in a cave video

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Stuck in a cave video

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 6, 2006 2:22 pm

I found this video while wandering around YouTube.com. LINK
Crude, yet dramatic. Poor caving techniques and judgement apparently used. Fun, none the less.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 6, 2006 2:32 pm

Here's another version of the same video with a little more footage at the beginning and end. LINK
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jun 6, 2006 4:12 pm

Interesting "what not to do" video. Caving alone, no helmet, one flashlight. He mentioned his flashlight going in and out and that the people watching the video could see more than he could. I guess it never occurred to him to look through the camera to find his way, using the infrared.

I was thinking the cinematography and music would make a good cave "thriller" like that movie about the kids in the woods (forgot the name). I was also thinking that would have been an erie video to watch if he had died and we had his trip and last words. It gave me the willies.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby graveleye » Jun 7, 2006 8:47 am

Wayne Harrison wrote: I was also thinking that would have been an erie video to watch if he had died and we had his trip and last words. It gave me the willies.

I started out thinking I was going to have a laugh at some poor schmucks misfortune, but unless he was acting really good, the look on his face was that of alarm, if not near terror. I rather felt sorry for him. If he didnt learn his lesson, then he never will.

Apparently he is a journalist or something?
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Nico » Jun 7, 2006 10:43 pm

I had seen that vid long ago in texascaving.com in fact chris the site admin uploaded it to youtube.

definatly fun to watch and I really dont think he was acting, IMO getting stuck did scare the crap outta him.
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jun 8, 2006 5:44 pm

From what I could ascertain from the view of the camera of the passage he was "stuck in" didn't seem that he was stuck at all. Definitely a squeeze but the floor had the appearance of dirt which basically in my experience with tight tight passages like that (I was a crawl box champion of my grotto at one time with 6 1/2 inches to my credit)... one would simply back out the way they came in or start moving dirt around to create a channel for the chest to get through.
But it could've been just a set up either way. He got out didn't he? heh...

Tight stuff don't scare me (hmm new thread idea) ... I've been known to actually fall asleep in such places... very cozy and comfy for me... :grin:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum