Cave trip wish list - large and small

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

McBrides Rocks!

Postby CaverScott » Jun 5, 2006 8:48 pm

cvr602 wrote:I actually just got to do a trip I have been hoping for for over a year. I never could seem to find a group to go to Mcbrides, but Sunday at SERA I found 3 other cavers that wanted to go too.

Great! What was your favorite part of the trip?
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

caving wish lists

Postby Dave Bunnell » Jun 5, 2006 10:48 pm

I've been lucky enough to cave in a number of exotic places, two of which were mentioned here (China and New Zealand) as well as Lech, but the more I find out about what's out there, the more I want to see. So here's my hit list:

1. Kupp-Coutunn (Turkmenistan): awesome gypsum formations that rival Lech
2. La Chambre (sometimes called the Lech of France)
3. Grotte de Malaval (France, has blue and green formations)
4. Huautla cave system, Mexico: San Agustin to Anthodite Hall
5. Ogof Fynnon Thee (Wales): awesome stream cave
6. Toca de Boa Vista (Brazil)
7. Cueva de Villagorna (Majorca)
8. 3N Cave (Iran) awesome salt cave which will appear in the August 06 NSS News.
9. Great X (Wyoming)
10. Martin's Ridge and Fisher Ridge (Kentucky)

Plus a a few small, lesser-visited caves near where I live in California that I still haven't got to yet. I've never gotten too jaded to want to see caves in my own neck of the woods even if they're nothing like what's on my list...

This also reminds me of an idea I've had for a News feature that might be called "Great Caves of the World" that each time focused on some cool cave out there that is just awesome to visit recreationally...what do people think of that idea?

Dave
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

Re: McBrides Rocks!

Postby cvr602 » Jun 6, 2006 10:22 am

CaverScott wrote:
cvr602 wrote:I actually just got to do a trip I have been hoping for for over a year. I never could seem to find a group to go to Mcbrides, but Sunday at SERA I found 3 other cavers that wanted to go too.

Great! What was your favorite part of the trip?

The climbdown directly to the top of the 90ft. pit was the best and wettest part of the trip, so that was my favorite. We had a 4 person team, and none of us had visited the cave before, but we had absolutely no route-finding problems, so we must have done well. Quite a few people said it was difficult to find the route, and some told us it was easy.
Walking into Virgin Borehole in a cave near you!!!
cvr602
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Jun 6, 2006 10:56 am

Hey, this is a little off topic of this thread, but we're going on vacation in July. We're travelling cheap, and probably will wind up camping up at Cloudland Canyon or therabouts. Any ideas for an easy cave in that area?
By easy I mean no ropes and no swimming :grin:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby wendy » Jun 6, 2006 1:05 pm

graveleye wrote:Hey, this is a little off topic of this thread, but we're going on vacation in July. We're travelling cheap, and probably will wind up camping up at Cloudland Canyon or therabouts. Any ideas for an easy cave in that area?
By easy I mean no ropes and no swimming :grin:

I don't think Cloud Canyon is too far from the TAG campsite, so here are some easy caves that are witin drivnig distance (meaning less than 2 hours drive), you'll have to get directions from someone else, cuz I am usually riding with someone else and not paying attention on how to get there:

Pettijohn's - also visit Rock Town (not a cave, but still cool)
Hurricane
Howard's Waterfall
Whiteside
Cedar Ridge Crystal Cave (you will need to get the key from the Chattanooga Grotto I think)
Tumbling Rock
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jun 6, 2006 1:21 pm

wendy wrote:I don't think Cloud Canyon is too far from the TAG campsite, so here are some easy caves that are witin drivnig distance (meaning less than 2 hours drive), you'll have to get directions from someone else, cuz I am usually riding with someone else and not paying attention on how to get there:

Pettijohn's - also visit Rock Town (not a cave, but still cool)
Hurricane
Howard's Waterfall
Whiteside
Cedar Ridge Crystal Cave (you will need to get the key from the Chattanooga Grotto I think)
Tumbling Rock

No its not far at all from what I understand. I've camped at the head of the Rocktown trail before and climbed all over Rocktown. I absolutly LOVE that place. We're going to be there during the week, so it just might be nice and quiet as opposed to some of the sleepless nights I've had there (due to drunken locals). I had forgotten about rocktown, thanks for reminding me!! Pettijohns is also an option.
I got a grotto meeting coming up soon so I'll start asking for some directions... I hate it that I dont know where anything is! Thats what I get for waiting 20 years before joining a club :doh:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum