New to this. Dying to find out name of cave I explored?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

New to this. Dying to find out name of cave I explored?

Postby Lucky2BeHere1x » Aug 4, 2021 3:54 pm

Hello incredible explorers !
Civilian here....
So I'm 45 yo now and for the last 28 years, off and on, I've wondered just what cave was it that I explored way back, when I was just 18, that changed my life forever.
It was within a couple hours drive from West Lafayette, IN ( Purdue University).
The entrance was a large hole in the ground, in some farmer's humongous backyard, somewhere in hilly countryside. Yes, my friend had permission from farmer for us to be there.
I have a ton of details I can give about the cave, if someone here feels like they might know most caves around that area and feels like helping a stranger relive the most incredible day of his life :)
If what I'm asking for, is a no-no, please can someone just let me know in a nice way ?
Otherwise, I could start with a few details and see how it goes ?
It would be so amazing to find some kind of info on it ?
--Jason--
Lucky2BeHere1x
Infrequent Poster

Re: New to this. Dying to find out name of cave I explored?

Postby David_Weaver » Aug 5, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi Jason,
Are you still in touch with the old friend? If not, we could look for your friend in the NSS Member's manual and suggest that they contact you here on Cave Chat.
David
David_Weaver
Occasional Poster

Name: David Weaver
NSS #: 53731
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby Lucky2BeHere1x » Aug 5, 2021 5:47 pm

Hey David, thanks for replying
Sadly, no, lost touch with the friend the same year I met him.
Neither of us were members of any group.
I wonder if there's maybe another subsection where I can post my question?
Lucky2BeHere1x
Infrequent Poster

Postby Lucky2BeHere1x » Aug 7, 2021 1:16 pm

Thank you David for reaching out ! Unfortunately, I haven't been in contact with my friend since that year. He was a fraternity brother from Indiana, but I moved back to VA.
Neither of us were members of any group.
I was hoping I could throw out some details of the cave and maybe it would ring someone's bell and they could possibly contact me or post some info about it so I can look into it myself ?
If there is maybe another subsection I should be posting in for this ?
Lucky2BeHere1x
Infrequent Poster

Postby ohiocaver » Aug 12, 2021 7:52 am

Sounds like Doghill - but then, 60% of all caves are in hilly, karsty country that a farmer owns. The Central Indiana Grotto probably could help if you provide more details or some photos.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby Lucky2BeHere1x » Aug 16, 2021 11:57 am

ohiocaver wrote:Sounds like Doghill - but then, 60% of all caves are in hilly, karsty country that a farmer owns. The Central Indiana Grotto probably could help if you provide more details or some photos.

Hey thanks for reaching out ! I'm researching Doghill-Donehue right now thanks to you ! Found a youtube vid from Cavely going thru it and have reached out to them for possible info as well.
I've also found a copy of the 1992 NSS Convention guidebook for sale online that I believe can be sold to me hopefully...
The guidebook is supposed to have a lot of info on Indiana caves and may even have the exact same map my buddy was given; crumby napkin-written-look-a-like penciled sketchy as hell stick drawing map of the cave haha!
Still unsure if this is the cave though, as I distinctly remember getting to near the end of the cave and my buddy (who went first but was slightly more heavy-set than myself) getting stuck at a 90deg elbow turn in a tunnel that you had to remove your pack for and crawl forward into, then up, but not seeing anything about that in the vid or any descriptions I've read of this cave so far. We had been told to crawl into the tunnel on our backs because of the sharp upward turn about 10ft into the crawl. This is where my friend got stuck and I had to crawl up to him and remove as many clothes n such as possible, for him to unstick himself and both of us crawl backwards, back out of the tunnel. This is where we talked and realized we had to trek it all the way to the beginning, with dwindling supplies.
Plus, my cave (lol) seemed to only have a straight-forward entrance and exit, just one of each I'm pretty sure. Just go in one side and walk/get thru to the other side. Pretty straight line.
Another detail... I hope this is ok ?.... I remember being told it was about a mile and a half long and was supposed to take 8-12 hrs to get through. We got stuck near the end, then realized we had to high-tail it allll the back through the cave to the entrance...before our batteries died...which they did....about 45 mins from the entrance. We literally felt along in the dark, back to the entrance, drenched head to toe in muddy water...no wetsuits/hadn't even heard that's a thing...
We started into the cave early in the morning on a colllld day... finally got back out around 2am...it was now snowing like crazy....
Story gets better, but not sure where the line is on describing caves and experiences ? If someone could help with that ? I certainly don't want to break any rules. Any novice who tries this cave I'm thinking of, is a complete moron because, in this case, it takes one (me) to know one
I guess if this posts, it's a sign I'm good to go on describing what I remember of the cave and my experience :) fingers crossed
Thanks so far to Ohiocaver and David Weaver !
Lucky2BeHere1x
Infrequent Poster

Postby Vmeadows » Apr 12, 2023 11:22 pm

Doghill is not in a field. It’s right next to a MAJOR road.

Bedford is 130 miles from Lafayette, if I remember right the speed limits were only 60 at that time.. so more like 3 hours.

Hope you are successful in figuring it out, I’m 60 and I appreciate the curiosity of such things.
Vmeadows
Infrequent Poster

Postby Vmeadows » Apr 12, 2023 11:22 pm

Doghill is not in a field. It’s right next to a MAJOR road.

Bedford is 130 miles from Lafayette, if I remember right the speed limits were only 60 at that time.. so more like 3 hours.

Hope you are successful in figuring it out, I’m 60 and I appreciate the curiosity of such things.
Vmeadows
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum