Israeli caves

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Israeli caves

Postby tmazanec1 » May 14, 2019 12:02 pm

In early Feb I plan a pilgrimage to Israel. I will tell if I get to see any caves (probably the one Jesus was born in, maybe the Dead Sea Scrolls cave).
tmazanec1
Occasional Poster

Re: Israeli caves

Postby chac » May 14, 2019 2:46 pm

There are a lot of salt caves around the Dead Sea, including the world's "longest" salt cave. Many of the caves around the Dead Sea may be closed due to sensitive artifacts or anthropological remains. Contact the the Israel Cave Explorers Club about caving in Israel, they have a web page.

Jim
Jim Coke
chac
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 26442

Postby ohiocaver » May 15, 2019 7:48 am

Qumran (Dead Sea Scrolls) is a park, easily visited en route to Massada or any of the other Dead Sea area sites. Note that the caves are not the obvious openings straight ahead as you enter the area but are down to the left, if I recall properly. Read the signage.
Ein Gedi is another park in the area (no caves but a beautiful waterfall) worth seeing. If you go with a tour, fine. If you hire a driver, be aware of the political sensibilities in the area.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby Labriola » May 18, 2019 5:35 am

Do tours in the area routinely offer Qumran and Ein Gedi visits by the way?
Labriola
New Poster

Postby FreightTrain » Jul 17, 2019 10:54 am

Jesus was born in a stable, and slept in a manger. I find it peculiar that you are expecting to find his birth place in a cave.
FreightTrain
Infrequent Poster

Postby lbartel » Jul 18, 2019 7:02 am

FreightTrain wrote:Jesus was born in a stable, and slept in a manger. I find it peculiar that you are expecting to find his birth place in a cave.

Seems possible that the stable could have been in a cave. Even though all the pictures we have suggest otherwise.
lbartel
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 32504

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum