Definition of Cavern

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Definition of Cavern

Postby Tlaloc » Jan 10, 2019 10:00 pm

The Cavern entry in Wikipedia is a disambiguation page that redirects to the Cave article. How would you add a definition to this page?
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tlaloc » Jan 10, 2019 10:06 pm

The Cavern (disambiguation) page already defines it (without citing a reliable source) as a cave or a large room in a cave. What are you proposing to do? The Oxford dictionary definition is already there. Adding some reliable citation like Jennings would redefine it as a karst cave.
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Leitmotiv » Jan 10, 2019 11:14 pm

Tlaloc wrote:
Leitmotiv wrote:...What I'd like to see with the term on Wikipedia is have a small paragraph defining the different uses of the term cavern...

Wikipedia is NOT a Dictionary. see [[WP:NOTAD]]. Entries like the one you suggest are strictly forbidden on Wikipedia.

That's not what [[WP:NOTAD]] is trying to say. They're saying that Wikipedia is not a place just to define words. For instance, a single word that doesn't have enough content to write an article about is ineligible to be an article. That's the intent behind that rule. You can certainly cite the dictionary however, that is not "strictly forbidden" especially if it helps the article gain clarity.

I wouldn't add to the Cavern disambiguation page. I would add it to the cave article as a synonym, (which I did earlier) and also provide other examples in which cavern is defined.
Leitmotiv
Prolific Poster

Name: Matt Skeels
NSS #: 53428
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Oregon High Desert Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 13, 2019 1:41 pm

Leitmotiv wrote:The only ignorance here it seems is that cavers aren't realizing that cavern has multiple definitions. Language is defined by usage, not by strict rules of the minority. Oxford Dictionary seems to agree with me.

Squirrel Girl wrote:
Leitmotiv wrote: As a cave diver, "cavern" has a very specific definition as being within the daylight zone of an underwater cave.

Ooh, Squirrel Girl, do you have a source? What I'd like to see with the term on Wikipedia is have a small paragraph defining the different uses of the term cavern.

https://nsscds.org/trainingprograms/
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum