SCAM? Yellow Postcard

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

SCAM? Yellow Postcard

Postby daviddearmond » Jun 19, 2018 5:08 pm

This evenings mail brought a yellow post card from the N.S.S.,(wth a Dallas, TX address) asking me to call a phone number for "verification of caver data". Instead of my NSS number it listed a "your personal ID#". This card did not pass my "smell test" and the phone number turned out to be that of a frequent scammer. I believe if I'd called I would have been charged for the call and there would have been significant charges added to my phone bill.... so someone naughty has been into the membership list.
daviddearmond
New Poster

NSS #: 10261

Re: SCAM: Yellow Postcard

Postby NZcaver » Jun 21, 2018 5:16 am

daviddearmond wrote:This evenings mail brought a yellow post card from the N.S.S.,(wth a Dallas, TX address) asking me to call a phone number for "verification of caver data". Instead of my NSS number it listed a "your personal ID#". This card did not pass my "smell test" and the phone number turned out to be that of a frequent scammer. I believe if I'd called I would have been charged for the call and there would have been significant charges added to my phone bill.... so someone naughty has been into the membership list.

This little yellow postcard has generated quite the discussion recently, on Facebook and elsewhere no doubt. It's raised red flags and failed smell tests for a lot of members, but the NSS president assures us it's legitimate. The NSS has signed a contract for this company to try to obtain updated info from past and present members to compile a directory, with the intended purpose of selling this directory back to members. If you call the number and tell them your name and the ID number on the postcard, you can provide as much or as little information about yourself as you desire. Or you can request your name be removed completely from their database, and you will never hear from them again.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby CaverScott » Jun 21, 2018 8:30 am

Geary Schindel
June 21 at 8:28am

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the NSS Members Directory Initiative

Folks, please feel free to forward this to people. We've been trying to get this out in a number of places but thing it should go on facebook. I"m sure it will open up some additional questions which I will be happy to try and answer as long as they are respectful.

Thanks

Geary Schindel

1. I received an email/postcard/phone call from a company asking for my personal information. They said they were working on a directory for National Speleological Society. Is this a legitimate project, or is it a scam?

We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce our new member directory. PCI is a company located in Dallas, TX that publishes directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities and military organizations across the nation. This project allows NSS to receive important updates to our database so we know more about our members and how we can better serve you and future members.

2. How do I know my information will only be used for directory purposes?

NSS has a contractual agreement with PCI that states:
a. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI by NSS for the publication of the Directory will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Directory and except as required by court order or law.
b. The Directory will be made available only to members of NSS. Upon completion of the project, PCI will return to NSS any and all electronic files that have been supplied by NSS or produced by PCI in connection with the production of the Directory.

3. I would like to verify and update my information. How may I do this?

If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the NSS project. The representative will verify all the information we have on file for you and make any updates where needed. One of the numbers for the NSS members is 1.866.536.6754.

If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information. If you have questions, you may call PCI’s customer service desk at 1.800.982.1590.

4. Can anyone purchase a directory?

The NSS members Directory is available for sale only to NSS members.

5. When will I receive my directory?

The total duration of the directory project is about 12 months. Since we began the project in April 2018, the directories will be distributed in April 2019.

6. Can I choose some or all of my information not to be printed in the directory?

When you call to update your information, you can tell the representative what information you would prefer to have excluded. You may also communicate this information to the PCI customer service desk (1.800.982.1590) or to the NSS office.

7. I ordered a directory/package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this?

Call the PCI customer service help desk at 1.800.982.1590, and they will take care of this for yo
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby mongocaver » Jun 26, 2018 1:27 pm

I just got off the phone with the folks at the number on the card.
A very nice lady took all my regular information: name, updated address, phone number, marital status, etc.
After all that she put on a good hard sell on the directories, t-shirts, NSS membership, etc.
Started out at $169 worth of stuff and went down the more I said No.
I haven't been an active caver in 10 years so I declined all of it and got off the phone.
mongocaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby E-man » Jun 26, 2018 1:47 pm

They wanted to charge me >$100 for a hard-bound members directory. Is the NSS not going to publish the regular paperback member's manual any more?
Eli Ren - 52671
E-man
Infrequent Poster

Name: Eli Ren
NSS #: 52671
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cascade Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jun 26, 2018 2:08 pm

The NSS will still be producing the Members Manual. This is something in addition.

I asked to be removed from the directory first, and therefore never got the sales pitch.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby CaverScott » Jun 26, 2018 2:13 pm

NZcaver wrote:The NSS will still be producing the Members Manual. This is something in addition.

Precisely :cavingrocks:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Re: SCAM? Yellow Postcard

Postby NZcaver » Jun 28, 2018 4:24 pm

For clarification - I edited the title of this topic to add a "?" While I understand it doesn't pass the smell test for a lot of folks, it has been confirmed that this is not a scam.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Re: SCAM? Yellow Postcard

Postby bennettbike » Jul 13, 2018 11:09 pm

It seemed fine
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum