caves in my area

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

caves in my area

Postby newcaver315 » Apr 24, 2018 5:09 am

so not to beat a dead horse but... does anyone know anything about the cave near clarks res, i know theyre pretty short and probably boring however im more interested in the history of them. the lower section is collapsed and in the back of my head im thinking it was done intentionally. their are lots of quarry mines in the area (above ground stripping) pretty sure some caves got destroyed totally from this, but the lower section collappsed around 1929, the park oopen three years prior was bought because lady didnt want to see the lake destroyed... i believe they use to go down all the way to the lake bed as ive noticed a few spots where cold air is blowing out which is really nice for fishing on a hot humid day.. in the lake there are sink holes and quicksand warning signs just below these air currents which leads me to believe they got collapsed. i know a few people who have explored them a bit but every time i go im alone and no lights etc so i just admire them from the outside, also im pretty sure youre not suppose to go in them because ny likes to keep all the fun locked up blehh. so i dont need the ticket and well the other half knows doing so could ruin the opportunity of them ever being open to grottos getting access so i figured id be nice pick your brains a bit and see if my investigating is on to something... there are many small caves in the area but mostly on private land and im not sure how to approach the owners especially due to my beginner status its not "my place". i know theres some cool stories behind them but i belive them to be just that even if there are a few details that are true. problem is all surveys of the land are available for the area in that time except the ones that included these karst and caves, and i know simeon dewitt found them as well as a few other surveyors in the early days of our country and supposubly described them in great detail and all this can be found except they cut out a lot about the caves. ive looked around and found a lot of possible sites within an hour of me and less a couple i narrowed down with old surveys from revolutionary war land tracts there are lots of springs in the hills and plenty of spots ice comes out of rock walls in the winter. anyone? i know someone has seen these things too and hoping maybe snapped a photo so i can admire a better look cause people give funny looks as you drive by slowly starring into their backyard at the rocks and wondering how deep is that lol. so whos experienced in my area and wants to fill me in on which ones are just holes and which are bigger.
newcaver315
Infrequent Poster

Name: Bryon

Re: caves in my area

Postby GroundquestMSA » Apr 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Who says it isn't your place to approach landowners? Have a bit of initiative and go exploring or give up and forget it. You don't need anyone to baby you into caving, it isn't complicated. Just remember that caves are small and delicate. Even if they are rarely visited all traffic is restricted to the same places, leading to wear and damage. Go slowly, keep your eyes open, appreciate what's there or your caving will result in a net negative.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: caves in my area

Postby newcaver315 » Apr 24, 2018 4:36 pm

i understand its easy just wasnt sure if anyone might have a scoop on any here or if anyones tried to approach them. ill let you all know what i figure out pretty sure im not the first to notice them.
newcaver315
Infrequent Poster

Name: Bryon

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum