What's the spookiest thing you've ever seen in a cave?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

What's the spookiest thing you've ever seen in a cave?

Postby BillRigg » Aug 8, 2017 7:39 pm

Hey all, hope you're doing well. I'm wondering about the spookiest or scariest thing you've ever seen or experienced in a cave. Something make the hair stand up on the back of your neck? Did you hear "them" talking or walking in distant tunnels? Maybe you saw a cave ghost, or only thought you did? Found something historical or natural that was super unnerving?

I want to hear about it! I had a bit of a spooky experience in Secret Cavern NY, and I'm very interested in hearing if anyone else has had some frightening cave experiences.

:cavechat:
BillRigg
Infrequent Poster

Re: What's the spookiest thing you've ever seen in a cave?

Postby BrianFrank » Aug 9, 2017 10:11 am

I wouldn't say spooky, but I hate how the mind plays tricks on you when you are alone in a cave.

I had to wait at a junction about a half mile in a cave for 2 hours by myself waiting on a part of our group so they would not get lost. After about 20 minutes alone I swear I heard voices from coming from all 3 directions at one time or another. That was impossible because I knew we were the only group in the cave and where they were. There was dripping water all over this cave and a stream about 25 yards away.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine in Limrock Blowing cave (also a wet cave). He couldn't get through a restriction because of his size and sat there waiting on us for a couple hours. He said he heard voices after about 30 minutes.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: What's the spookiest thing you've ever seen in a cave?

Postby BillRigg » Aug 9, 2017 1:41 pm

I've heard and read a little bit about this - the mind creating sensation when deprived. I've heard before that water dripping or flowing can have this effect on people in caves. I've also heard some cavers refer to these noises (and their unseen sources) as "them", which is downright spooky! :bananabat:

Thanks for sharing! Do you know of any ways one could diminish those sensations? Maybe by focusing on something, or potentially bringing in a small mp3 player or something to satisfy the brain's need for sensation? I feel like it's a good idea to be prepared for something like this.

To be honest, I'd say this counts as spooky - I know I would be spooked out if it happened to me!
BillRigg
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum