Vertical Gear decontamination

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Vertical Gear decontamination

Postby submassabielle » Nov 8, 2016 6:08 pm

Hello everyone,
I am making an adjustment in my caving location and would like to reliably decontaminate my vertical gear. How is this most safely done? Is a sanitize cycle on a dishwasher sufficient for ascenders and carabiners etc? Would it melt the plastic parts? Could I put my harness, cows tails, foot loops etc. in the dishwasher too? (I don't have a washing machine with a sanitize cycle). Are there chemicals that are reliably safe? Chemicals on vertical gear kinda freaks me out.
Thanks!
submassabielle
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 63943

Re: Vertical Gear decontamination

Postby ohiocaver » Nov 8, 2016 6:49 pm

The US Fish & Wildlife WNS protocol that NSS follows is on the link below.
https://www.whitenosesyndrome.org/resou ... april-2016
Basically, it recommends following manufacturer's specs. Of course, I've never purchased a carabiner (locking or not!) with a WNS de-con recommendation. Neither my less-than-one-year old caving suit nor my fairly new Petzl helmet came with such a recommendation....and both were manufactured well into the WNS era.
So, do your best. It is unlikely, unless you deal with bats, that you will be a vector. However, better safe than sorry. Bottom line is to remove all dirt and gunk (which you would, anyway) and use Dawn or Woolite...or whatever the harness/rope/jumar manufacturer says to use.
When you're done, let us know what you did and how it worked out.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 10, 2016 10:07 am

I seem to recall that Hazel Barton (or someone) did studies and found that dishwashers weren't hot enough and would cause the fungal spores to sprout.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby submassabielle » Nov 10, 2016 5:46 pm

So far I have heard what not to do. Does anyone have advice on what to do? My gear include a GGG seat and chest harness, webbing for qas and footloops. And cows tails that appear to be static rope. I am thinking hot water is probably best. However, this requires 131 F for 20 minutes, which will probably require me to start with water at 145 F (cause there is no way I'm gonna simmer it on a burner). I don't have my original packaging but have noticed that websites explaining how to clean static rope suggest max temperatures lower than that. Does anyone have any advice on how I can decon this stuff? It isn't something I plan to do regularly. I just want to do it once now that I won't be WNS positive caves for a while.
submassabielle
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 63943

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum