Fox Mountain Caves?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Fox Mountain Caves?

Postby Firefighter912 » Oct 15, 2016 6:15 pm

We're on a fire up here in Dade County and ran across that this mountain had caves.

We've found one and thought it was Rusty's Cave but it was Cemetary Pit.

Why is it called Cemetary Pit? I heard something from a local about some bones being found on a ledge.

Also where is Rusty's Cave and others on this mountain? There is no map or direction.
Firefighter912
Infrequent Poster

Re: Fox Mountain Caves?

Postby Firefighter912 » Oct 17, 2016 6:24 am

Found Rustys Cave...fire burned all around it. Really no good way to get to it other than following the drain.
Firefighter912
Infrequent Poster

Postby Firefighter912 » Oct 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Found Hurricane Cave. The metal gate is off of it.
Firefighter912
Infrequent Poster

Postby Firefighter912 » Oct 19, 2016 11:21 am

Fires about contained.

Found Byers cave. So all 4 caves are found.

Looks like a lot of trails will need to be cleaned out...though there are several firebreaks. Watch out for burned out stump holes and loose rocks.

Spelunk safe my friends.
Firefighter912
Infrequent Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » Oct 19, 2016 7:41 pm

Firefighter912 wrote:Why is it called Cemetary Pit? I heard something from a local about some bones being found on a ledge.

Cavers used to park at the cemetery, which was not close, and hike up the mountain. This was before the Interstate was put in.Try to find an old SERA or TAG guidebook for directions.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Firefighter912 » Oct 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks Bob. Sounds more logical.

Ive found all four caves and a few more while I was out there. Ive marked them on my maps...and I know the locations are hush hush to the public to a degree. Really wanted to find them since we were here and saw the board. Never seen a cave before truthfully.

I think I may need to start buying caving equipment and get in a local group.

Looks like the Conservancy has a lot of work to do because most trails were covered up by brush from the fire. Byers was still marked pretty well.

We managed to clear back some tornado damage on one cave when we had a chance to.
Firefighter912
Infrequent Poster

Postby beertripp » Dec 28, 2016 1:33 am

Hi there. I am one of the property managers at the Fox Mountain Cave Preserve. I guess I'm a bit late in seeing this post, but I went to the Preserve as soon as the fires were contained enough to safely visit the property. I had no issues locating any of the caves on the mountain. All of the trails still exist, although there are some fire breaks in close proximity in some places that could be confusing if one was not paying attention. I have not heard of anyone having any issues though.

Thanks to all who helped fight the fires on the mountain. That could have been a nasty situation. Instead, a great deal of the tornado debris was burned up (along with the briars!) which will be better in the long run.
beertripp
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 47976

Postby bennettbike » Feb 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Yeah, it looks like it has seen 2 natural disasters, haha, I like the open hiking until it grows back. Thank you for the hard work you guys are doing! After my kids grow and my business can more self function I will definitely get more involved.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby bennettbike » Feb 13, 2017 11:15 pm

One of my closest friends works with me and is a firefighter in Cobb county, maybe we will see you up there! Learn some ropes for that mountain.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby Firefighter912 » Feb 14, 2017 5:43 pm

beertripp wrote:Hi there. I am one of the property managers at the Fox Mountain Cave Preserve. I guess I'm a bit late in seeing this post, but I went to the Preserve as soon as the fires were contained enough to safely visit the property. I had no issues locating any of the caves on the mountain. All of the trails still exist, although there are some fire breaks in close proximity in some places that could be confusing if one was not paying attention. I have not heard of anyone having any issues though.

Thanks to all who helped fight the fires on the mountain. That could have been a nasty situation. Instead, a great deal of the tornado debris was burned up (along with the briars!) which will be better in the long run.

Yes, the fire really helped out getting rid of the tornado debris.

I recommend doing prescribed burning when you guys can to maintain the vegetation growth in the future.

Main issue with the fire was the structures around the mountain and the one house on top of Fox Mtn.

This has gotten me interested in caving, but I have no experience in it really. Plus I am a really big (not fat) guy so tight spots I have to avoid.
Firefighter912
Infrequent Poster

Postby Firefighter912 » Feb 14, 2017 5:44 pm

bennettbike wrote:One of my closest friends works with me and is a firefighter in Cobb county, maybe we will see you up there! Learn some ropes for that mountain.

Yall have fun and be safe. Should be easy walking.
Firefighter912
Infrequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Feb 15, 2017 8:33 am

boy it's going to be snaky up there this summer when all that burn area starts growing in some underbrush.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby bennettbike » Feb 17, 2017 10:50 am

oh wee... i know about this much about snakes.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby bennettbike » Feb 17, 2017 10:51 am

who was up there last Saturday? silver SUV, hat on the dash... like a cowboy style dark grey hat. i came, explored, left and you were still up on the mountain.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby Nivens » Oct 13, 2017 6:15 am

Does anyone have any good pics of the cave?
Nivens
New Poster

Next

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum