Caving in Kentucky

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Caving in Kentucky

Postby bob1dp » Oct 14, 2016 1:10 am

I am working in Kentucky near Mammoth Caves and looking for some suggestions. I'm really an amateur about 10 wild caving experiences NSS wild cave experiences. I don't mind the tourist experience. Just looking for cool formations. Don't want to miss out while I am there.

More importantly I am looking for caves that I can film a dramatic movie in.

I am looking for two kinds of caves. First, caves that are not the fragile with easy access to crew and close to roads. Delicate formations not needed nor desired. Just large cool rooms, tunnels systems, areas to repel, waterfalls, and pools. Even at it's most careful a film crew is invasive so it needs to be a durable location. Would probably involve a 12 man team.

Secondly I'll be looking for caves with more dramatic formations. They must also be easily accessible by vehicle and foot. These can be more fragile as my goal would be to set up careful shots to present formations. The formations don't need to be National geographic stunning just cool enough so an NSS member would enjoy the film.

To sum up I need caves in Kentucky. One durable where I can shoot dialog and cave driven action scenes. The other with more spectacular formations to and scope to the more utilitarian cave sequences.

My goal is a cave based action film like "The Descent" or "Sanctum".
bob1dp
New Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern California

Re: Caving in Kentucky

Postby ohiocaver » Oct 17, 2016 11:36 am

Check out Hidden River cave in Horse Cave, KY. It is a mix of tourist and wild...a museum cave, as it were. They might be open to filming. The entrance (visible from a main street and from many angles) is the classic huge cave entrance. Grab some local grotto members and shake their trees if info. There are quite a few tourist caves near MCNP that might allow filming under the right conditions.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum