Snail Shell Cave during rain?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Snail Shell Cave during rain?

Postby cmanley3 » Jun 3, 2016 6:11 am

Hey gang...

I have a trip with about 7 people planned for Snail Shell this weekend. The forecast from Weds-Saturday was scattered thunderstorms all day ranging from 40%-60%.

I know that no one can answer for sure, and it will really take me getting up there to see how saturated the ground is and what the forecast calls for in the hours we plan on navigating the system, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with exploring Snail Shell in June, and how badly rain affects the stream... I really want to explore this cave, but I really don't want to be 2000 feet deep when a flash flood hits... Any experience/thoughts?

I spoke to the property manager and he said that he was there just this Tuesday and that conditions resembled those of the cave in August, and that he didn't think the rain would affect the stream.

Thanks!

-Canon
2016-06-03
cmanley3
New Poster

Re: Snail Shell Cave during rain?

Postby tncaver » Jun 3, 2016 12:53 pm

A sudden local storm in the area could cause a flood event in the cave. That cave does flood to the ceiling and above
at the entrance. You may want to consider waiting for a weekend when their is no chance of rain in the area.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Snail Shell Cave during rain?

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jun 11, 2016 11:10 am

Don't know if you went, or not, but unless the ground is saturated.............this cave is SLOW to flood.

Like the manager said, it has been very dry here this spring, so I wouldn't worry. This cave usually takes several days of heavy rain to get dangerous.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum