i found a cave

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

i found a cave

Postby cavermon » Nov 23, 2015 9:31 pm

i have been fishing alot as of late and came across a cave near the creek i fish,i walked in it about 200 yards(i tied string off to follow out and measured it) and stopped because i knew it was not safe at all since i was alone,no cave gear,and very little caving experience,but the thing looked huge,it got bigger as i went and had multiple paths that i did not even go down,i have been trying to find out the name of the cave but as i have found the real cavers are very protective of cave info,which i completely understand,i guess my question is does anyone know the cave name,its size and such,ill provide the info to the location on request i didnt wanna just post the address tho since i know now that cavers keep the cave info safe,any info is appreciated,and dont worry there is no way im going farther than what i have already,unless i go with some real cavers,and btw it is on public TVA land
cavermon
Infrequent Poster

Re: i found a cave

Postby GroundquestMSA » Nov 23, 2015 11:23 pm

Send me a pm with the location and I can tell you the cave's name and give you an idea of its size.
Read the forum to learn about safe caving, and by all means continue to explore.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaverScott » Nov 24, 2015 7:59 am

TVA as in the Tennessee Valley Authority, right?

Assuming the cave is in Tennessee, Alabama, or Georgia; we most likely have a record of it. Suggest you PM the previous poster. We may even have a map on file of it.
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby cavermon » Nov 24, 2015 9:31 pm

thank you,i sent the info
cavermon
Infrequent Poster

Postby trogman » Nov 25, 2015 1:42 am

cavermon wrote:i have been fishing alot as of late and came across a cave near the creek i fish,i walked in it about 200 yards(i tied string off to follow out and measured it) and stopped because i knew it was not safe at all since i was alone,no cave gear,and very little caving experience,but the thing looked huge,it got bigger as i went and had multiple paths that i did not even go down,i have been trying to find out the name of the cave but as i have found the real cavers are very protective of cave info,which i completely understand,i guess my question is does anyone know the cave name,its size and such,ill provide the info to the location on request i didnt wanna just post the address tho since i know now that cavers keep the cave info safe,any info is appreciated,and dont worry there is no way im going farther than what i have already,unless i go with some real cavers,and btw it is on public TVA land

Hello, Cavermon! Welcome to the forum. I have sent you a private message regarding your questions.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby bennettbike » Dec 27, 2015 9:18 pm

I have gps pins dropped on all caves in tag also, we all want to know, hahah
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto