getting into caves?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

getting into caves?

Postby Lava tuber » May 10, 2006 11:10 pm

getting into caves? There is a hole here in Bend OR, that blows some major air (like big time, hair flowing back like a glam rock music video) no one here has ever saw something like this before in this area. So how do we get in? I have seen the ONROPE1 Mirco-shaving kit, will it work. I have not been much of a digger but am willing to learn. Tips please. We are hoping for a West Lechuguilla HaHaHa. Lets crack this baby together
Lava tuber
Occasional Poster

Re: getting into caves?

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » May 11, 2006 12:19 am

Lava tuber wrote:There is a hole here in Bend OR, that blows some major air ..... So how do we get in? I have seen the ONROPE1 Micro-shaving kit, will it work.

I would have thought you would have to move a large amount of rock to make much difference :?

Is this a through flow ie coming from another exit ? or don't you know?

As I understand it airflow can relate to weather conditions, more specifically whether there is a change between a high and low pressure system above the cave.

A high pressure system fills the cave full of air (at the higher pressure) when a low pressure system comes along that air has to get out hence the cave blows. If it was the other way around the cave would be sucking ie a low pressure system then a high pressure system.

It is not only because of this you get air flow but it could be a contributing factor.

In some of the caves around here the above helps disperse and mix up the CO2 in the caves so we can go visit them again. :woohoo:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Scott McCrea » May 11, 2006 6:39 am

Is this in solid rock or lava? Micro blasting works best in solid rock. Pourous or fractured rock absorbs a lot of energy from the blast lessening the desired result. If it's solid, the OnRope 1 MB kit should work. But it's slow and best suited for removing small amounts of rock. For more agressive techniques, look thru the archives of the Cave Diggers Yahoo Group. Then ask them questions. There a lot great diggers on that list.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum