What to know-Cave on property

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

What to know-Cave on property

Postby donnma » Aug 31, 2015 3:19 pm

hi, we just bought property near Fort Smith Arkansas. There is a cave on the property, how big it is I don't know but the previous owner said it goes in about a half an acre. When looking at it we had no good light and so we only went in the front of the cave. Once we start moving out there I want to go in and explore it and basically make sure it is safe (we have kids) and maybe use it for a peaceful place to go. You guys are the experts so can you give me any advice on how to go about checking it out? I don't even know if it would be considered a cave or a hole in the ground or a cavern or what.

donnma
Infrequent Poster

Re: What to know-Cave on property

Postby caver.adam » Aug 31, 2015 4:59 pm

For starters I would recommend reading the following link: https://caves.org/safety/safety.shtml

I would also contact your local NSS Grotto. Having a contact with them is a good idea in case you ever have someone fall and get hurt. Cavers are generally the best at rescuing injured cavers. They also might loan you equipment to get started.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby donnma » Aug 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Thank you Caver Adam :) I really appreciate having a place to start finding out some info
donnma
Infrequent Poster

Postby caverdan » Sep 1, 2015 11:08 am

One of our biggest rules is to wear a helmet and carry three sources of light. Another one is to always let someone know on the outside, where you are at and when you expect to return.

There is a button at the top of this page that says "find local caving club". That will point you in the right direction to locating a grotto near you. Find someone at the meeting who is willing to survey your cave. I would pass up offers to explore only or "scoop it", as we call it. Our clubs are based on scientific study and conservation.....along with recreation. The only way to really tell what you have is to have a map made. Survey as you explore is very common within our clubs. You never know....someone in the club might have already mapped your cave and named it too boot. :big grin:

You might want to come up with a waiver for people to sign before you let them into your cave or on your property. It's a little bit of added insurance in case someone gets hurt. Private message me if you want a couple of examples. Good luck and enjoy your cave.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum