Skyline Caverns for sale

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Skyline Caverns for sale

Postby Jasonk » Jun 12, 2015 9:00 am

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales ... l-va-22630

I'm a realtor with Sotheby's and I'm finishing up my PhD in ecology. One of my primary goals in real estate is conservation. And this is a unique situation where conservation and business investment actually overlap.

Skyline Caverns is one of 8 caves in Virginia, all of which are privately owned. http://www.skylinecaverns.com/index.html

Skyline Caverns sits at the entrance to Shenandoah National Park in Front Royal, Virginia. It's the closest cave to Washington, DC or Baltimore, MD, located less than 4 miles off of I-66. Ecologically speaking, it has an endemic beetle found nowhere else and has been the subject of research trips by the Smithsonian, USGS, and various universities. Geologically speaking, it is the only cave in Virginia with anthrodites or a waterfall (37 feet).

Maybe of the most interest to people here, the 1.25 mile tour trail through the cave is only 20% of the full Skyline Caverns. Because of sensitive areas, it may be best to keep some parts to limited visitors, but there's also the potential to open areas to more adventurous cavers like Mammoth Cave National Park's "wild cave tour." There's also over 45 acres above ground which could simply be kept as is, with a nature trail, mirror maze, train ride, gift shop, and main building, or added to with additional features such as camp grounds or an outdoor adventure center to take advantage of the property's proximity to the South Fork Shenandoah River and Appalachian Trail.

I'm reaching out to various NGOs - Southeastern Cave Conservancy, National Parks Conservation Association, The Nature Conservancy, The Land Trust Alliance, etc., but I thought posting this here would reach a broader audience with similar interests in business investment and cave conservation.

If you or someone you know might be interested, don't hesitate to give me a call - Jason 304-728-8844
Jasonk
New Poster

Re: Skyline Caverns for sale

Postby VACaver » Jun 18, 2015 10:29 am

We've only got 8 caves in Virginia??
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby CaverScott » Jun 18, 2015 1:07 pm

VACaver wrote:We've only got 8 caves in Virginia??

:yikes: :big grin:

I am sure he meant
VACaver wrote:We've only got 8 commercial [for pay] caves in Virginia??
:shhh:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby VACaver » Jun 18, 2015 1:43 pm

And it's the only cave in VA with a waterfall!

:doh:
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum