Looking for Dogwood City Grotto members

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for Dogwood City Grotto members

Postby ariaelyse » Apr 29, 2015 12:38 pm

I have been caving a few times with hired guides and fell in love with it! I know when and where the DCG meets each month but unfortunately I am unable to make it due to my work hours. Are there any members meeting up in the coming weeks (to go caving or otherwise)? I'm looking to learn more about caving and explore!
ariaelyse
Infrequent Poster

Re: Looking for Dogwood City Grotto members

Postby graveleye » Apr 30, 2015 7:36 am

DCG member here. There are members of the DCG who don't regularly attend meetings. You could join, and then you would have access to DCGnet, our email listserve, and also our monthly newsletter. That way you could keep up with the grotto trips and all.

what part of town are you located?
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby William Bagwell » Apr 30, 2015 8:07 am

graveleye wrote:DCG member here. There are members of the DCG who don't regularly attend meetings. You could join, and then you would have access to DCGnet, our email listserve,

Where is this? And yes I may have to wait on my paper work to catch up with my payment...
William Bagwell
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 24064
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Inactive. DCG mid 1980s

Postby ariaelyse » Apr 30, 2015 9:31 am

graveleye wrote:DCG member here. There are members of the DCG who don't regularly attend meetings. You could join, and then you would have access to DCGnet, our email listserve, and also our monthly newsletter. That way you could keep up with the grotto trips and all.

what part of town are you located?

Awesome! I'm located in Marietta. Getting up 85 is quite a feat from here!

Thanks for the info!
ariaelyse
Infrequent Poster

Postby ariaelyse » Apr 30, 2015 9:33 am

Thought I replied but don't see it here...

I live in Marietta.

Thanks for the info!!!
ariaelyse
Infrequent Poster

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Apr 30, 2015 11:02 am

Just become an NSS member and pay for the GSS. Grottos are a valuable resource but if you're seriously interested get out there with friends and good call out and see if you like it. Don't wait around for trip invites. Get out there.

Feel free to PM if you need anything.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Postby ariaelyse » Apr 30, 2015 12:08 pm

What's the GSS? I'm also wondering how to find caves. I know there is a lot of secrecy regarding the locations (which I understand). And I really only have one friend interested in caving. This isn't a big enough group especially since we are inexperienced.

Thanks!
ariaelyse
Infrequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Apr 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Georgia Speleological Survey. They keep up with cave maps, new discoveries, locations etc.

The DCG meets at the REI on I-85 in between Clairmont Rd and North Druid Hills. I live in Duluth and drive down 85, not too much farther for you from Marietta. Just catch 75 south to Atlanta, then 85 north just a couple of miles. That's not a bad drive at all. We have a LOT of members in that area. We meet the 1st Tuesday of the month. Of course, this month REI had a conflict so we're having it at a place up the street. I believe that you have to be an NSS member to be a full member - maybe if someone on the EC can verify.

Networking and joining a state speleo survey is how you find caves. We're not keen on giving out info... hell some cavers will not give info to people who they know are avid caver because they don't want to get scooped.

@William Bagwell - not sure what you're asking. Where do we meet? As for payments, I am not sure who is the treasurer at the moment so I don't know who to give dues to.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby ariaelyse » Apr 30, 2015 2:00 pm

Yes, I know how to get there. It's that Marietta is gigantic and my work overlaps with the meetings.

How do I join the Dogwood City Grotto? Found the log in for the members but nothing else.

I'm going to look into GSS and NSS. Thanks so much!!
ariaelyse
Infrequent Poster

Postby William Bagwell » Apr 30, 2015 3:29 pm

I was asking about DCGnet. Being a former member someone gave me access to the members page where I paid dues for the first time in 26 years. Did not see anything there about DCGnet or an email list.
William Bagwell
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 24064
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Inactive. DCG mid 1980s

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Apr 30, 2015 3:38 pm

ariaelyse wrote:Yes, I know how to get there. It's that Marietta is gigantic and my work overlaps with the meetings.

How do I join the Dogwood City Grotto? Found the log in for the members but nothing else.

I'm going to look into GSS and NSS. Thanks so much!!

Check out Clock Tower Grotto if you can't make DCG's meetings. I live in Athens and can't make either, but they are nice to go visit and the people who are active will help you get started. The guys who run CTG are awesome. Smaller, but VERY active group of people. If you're on Facebook check them out.

In regards to cave locations in Georgia, points to you for recognizing the secrecy aspect. Cave locations are better left known to the people who really, really want to go in them. Sometimes sharing the information leads to the cave getting damaged or someone getting hurt. Either case can result in the land being declared off limits.

I haven't heard much about caves getting scooped in Georgia (unlike TN or AL) recently haha, but there is always a possibility.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Postby graveleye » May 1, 2015 7:49 am

William Bagwell wrote:I was asking about DCGnet. Being a former member someone gave me access to the members page where I paid dues for the first time in 26 years. Did not see anything there about DCGnet or an email list.

sending pm about dcgnet.

OP, unfortunately you need to join in person. Then after that you can just mail them a check.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby ariaelyse » May 1, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks for clearing that up Graveleye!
ariaelyse
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum