Eating in a Cave

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Eating in a Cave

Postby ohiocaver » Apr 30, 2015 10:58 am

Honest: A long-time caving companion (Chad, I won't mention your name) buys five or 10 Arby's roast beef sandwiches and hauls them along...depends on the length of the trip. He says no amount of squishing, bumping or dragging changes the flavor of the sandwiches. :rofl:
I stick to gorp, dried fruit, beef stix and chocolate bars...all the major food groups.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby Mugger » Apr 30, 2015 1:10 pm

caver.adam wrote:I think people go over-kill on lightening their pack. I eat food (at least) every 6 hours, otherwise I get grumpy and don't notice (but my teamates do).

I have a friend like this, which is why I always have a granola bar or two tucked away in my pack... and in the glove box too, otherwise it's a long drive home after we've gone caving.
Mugger
Occasional Poster

Name: Hans
NSS #: 61554
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shasta Area Grotto

Postby Amocholes » Apr 30, 2015 2:24 pm

Jerky, Dried fruit/gorp, cheese cubes, granola bars, bagels with peanut butter or cream cheese hold up well and don't fall apart when smashed.
When facts are few and far between, hypothesis defies all logic, as to how an individual came to the conclusion, that the point that they are trying to make, is indeed true and not just the fabrications of a deluded mind.
Amocholes
Prolific Poster

Name: Don
NSS #: 49385
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stonewall Cavers

Postby msm0711 » May 18, 2015 8:30 pm

Pickled quail eggs and pickled sausages seem to be a going fad with the cavers I go under ground with. Natural gas build up is becoming an issue........
msm0711
Frequent Poster

Name: Michael McBride
NSS #: 65541

Postby BrianFrank » Jun 26, 2015 8:10 pm

Peanut Butter & Jelly Smuckers. Leave them in the freezer the night before. When you take them out to eat in the cave they are tasty, cold and fresh. 6 will fit in a large ziplock bag perfectly. I find others in our group asking if we brought extras.
http://www.smuckers.com/products/uncrustables
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby wendy » Jul 22, 2015 8:17 am

banana, I have one of those very perverted looking banana holders so it doesn't get squished in my pack. Also I have a sandwich holder for pb&j, and trail mix stuff.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 22, 2015 8:52 am

wendy wrote:banana, I have one of those very perverted looking banana holders so it doesn't get squished in my pack. Also I have a sandwich holder for pb&j, and trail mix stuff.

And I have Banana Guards for sale so EVERYONE can take bananas where ever they go without a fear of smushing! :-)
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby mgmills » Aug 6, 2015 11:05 pm

I like to make a sandwich on a bagel. The bagel doesn't fall apart like bread. Also filling.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby tncaver » Aug 7, 2015 9:45 am

ohiocaver wrote:Honest: A long-time caving companion (Chad, I won't mention your name) buys five or 10 Arby's roast beef sandwiches and hauls them along...depends on the length of the trip. He says no amount of squishing, bumping or dragging changes the flavor of the sandwiches. :rofl:
I stick to gorp, dried fruit, beef stix and chocolate bars...all the major food groups.

Peter Michaud (aka) Mudpuppy, often stops at the local Walmart and picks up some chicken strips. They are cheap, tasty
and survive squashing.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum