Athens, GA Caving

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Athens, GA Caving

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Jan 12, 2015 8:37 pm

I'm seeking to rebuild the Athens grotto. It's become defunct over the past several years. Should anyone on the Internet looking for a group of Clarke county-area cavers come across this page please send me a message.

JS
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Re: Athens, GA Caving

Postby voronja » Jan 22, 2015 7:53 pm

Why form a grotto? Just go caving without the structure.
Athens, GA Caving

Unread postby DawgsgoCaving » 12 Jan 2015, 20:37
I'm seeking to rebuild the Athens grotto. It's become defunct over the past several years. Should anyone on the Internet looking for a group of Clarke county-area cavers come across this page please send me a message.
voronja
Infrequent Poster

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Jan 23, 2015 3:58 pm

I mean a grotto isn't THAT necessary, but I do support the NSS and organized caving. To my knowledge the older Athens Speleological Society just met once a month to swap stories over a couple beers at one of the bars downtown. I'm in favor of doing something that relaxed...Honestly, at this point all I want is to meet people in the area who are active cavers. I would be so content with that. I have plenty of people to go with, but splitting gas for the drive to places like Crow Creek every weekend would be awesome
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Jan 23, 2015 4:02 pm

UGA doesn't have as an impressive outdoor recreation program as GA Tech -at least not in terms of caving- they do a few paid trips to Pettyjohn's, Anderson Springs, and I think they went to Rusty's once. I thought about leading one of their trips in hopes of finding someone who is driven to cave as often as I do but it just seems like a headache.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum