Searching old NSS numbers?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Searching old NSS numbers?

Postby Bill » Nov 16, 2014 7:38 am

Is there a way to search old NSS numbers/connect them back to the members? There hasn't been much organized caving in my county in perhaps 20 years or more. Going into a local cave yesterday that was mapped back in late 1950s I found a carbide/sooted date with a very low four-digit number that I assume is an NSS number: 1150. Is there a source or way to connect it back to owner? It's be neat to know if it was one of two people I suspect may have been involved in early Wythe County mapping.
TIA
Definitely not moderator-approved
Bill
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64616
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Walker Mountain Grotto

Re: Searching old NSS numbers?

Postby GroundquestMSA » Nov 16, 2014 9:02 am

Phil Winkler (here on Cavechat) has been kind enough to get me names for the old NSS numbers I've found in caves. However, I may have abused his patience, since he let me know that the NSS office can also do this for me. Also, even with old numbers, there is a chance that they may still be active. If so, you can find the owners on the NSS Member Search. I went ahead and checked #1150 and got no results, but you may find the feature handy in the future.

I've found a bunch of old NSS numbers in VA too. In one cave in particular the old cavers were almost as bad as the subsequent vandals.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Searching old NSS numbers?

Postby Bill » Nov 16, 2014 2:05 pm

Thanks, Groundsearch. I guess my Google-fu isn't as strong as I thought and I need to go back to the NSS page and dig a little deeper. (No pun intended.) I have a gut-feeling who is/was 1150, but if my guess is correct, both of the two "suspects" are deceased and thus won't show up in member manual.
Definitely not moderator-approved
Bill
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64616
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Walker Mountain Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum