Long cave trips?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Long cave trips?

Postby extremetm » May 22, 2014 1:07 pm

Well, I've done mountains, ocean, lake, desert, jungle, air, land, arctic. I think all that's left is antarctic, caves and space. Anyone know of a good cave trip that's longer than a few hours, a week maybe? I checked out the one in Vietnam but it was a bit too pricey. Thanks.
extremetm
New Poster

Re: Long cave trips?

Postby Caving Guru » May 22, 2014 8:06 pm

To reach the farthest points of exploration in Fort Stanton-Snowy River Cave in New Mexico it takes several days. Some other caves that require multi-day excursions include Lechuguilla Cave (NM), Hellhole (WV), Memorial Day Cave (WV), and probably a few others for the United States. I don't know much about outside the United States.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » May 23, 2014 11:33 am

Where do you live? Are you looking to be guided? Give us something to go off of.

Longer than a few hours is a lot less than a week. You can go on long tours (3+ hours) of commercial caves in several places around the US and some offer "wild" tours where you can spend hours crawling around underground "off-trail".

It sounds like you need to get a taste of caving and see if a multi-day thing might be for you. No one in their right mind is going to allow you on a multi-day expedition without you having prior caving experience.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby caver.adam » May 26, 2014 10:18 pm

Cavers probably aren't in their right mind, and I don't know of one that is likely to take an inexperienced caver for a week. If you want to try to find someone anyways, your best bet is to come to the NSS convention to learn and meet cavers.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum