2 way radios

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

2 way radios

Postby stx2006 » May 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Has anyone ever tried using 2 way radios inside a cave? If so how did it work out for you? I have a set of Uniden Hand Helds that I was thinking about trying out for my buddy and I when we go caving. Main reason is because most of the time only one of us will crawl into a hole to see where it's going. So it would be nice to know if its worth both of us going into without the first person coming all the way out just to say come in.

Thanks for the help!
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Name: Matthew
NSS #: 65704

Re: 2 way radios

Postby Caving Guru » May 15, 2014 8:07 pm

Yes, I have used a 2 way radio before for a cave. It was for this cave that has about a 200 foot entrance drop. Someone was at the bottom and at the top of the entrance drop, each with a 2 way radio communicating back and forth. It worked pretty well.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby stx2006 » May 15, 2014 8:19 pm

Greg Jones wrote:Yes, I have used a 2 way radio before for a cave. It was for this cave that has about a 200 foot entrance drop. Someone was at the bottom and at the top of the entrance drop, each with a 2 way radio communicating back and forth. It worked pretty well.

Thanks! It would be used for climbing to. I wasn't sure if the rocks in the cave will mess with them or not. Guess we will have to try and see. :banana_yay:
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Name: Matthew
NSS #: 65704

Postby Caving Guru » May 15, 2014 8:20 pm

I have also gotten my GPS with a compass to work in a cave.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby paul » May 16, 2014 6:19 am

I have used 2 way radios (PMR 446) underground (as part of a local UK cave rescue team). Usually no problems with a clear line of sight. Sometimes still good without clear line of sight depending on cave passage size and shape. We have also used a length of coax cable fitted with an aerial of coax at each end to function as a "leaky feeder" to improve reception.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum